Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorstenia foetida

Posted by birdguide none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 11:33

This one seems to be in active growth, but is winter dormant. Does it look healthy? A few of the leaves are a bit yellowish. Is it entering dormancy or this a sign of trouble. It seems like it could benefit from a larger pot as it is very difficult to water right now. Would this be OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorstenia foetida

I would not repot at this time. Some yellowing of leaves is to be expected as we go through fall and into winter. You can continue to water just a bit and less frequently. If it drops all of its leaves allow to dry more, but still a very small amount of water, as it may be semi-dorment. Mine hold their leaves through the winter but I keep them warm. In the spring when new leaves begin to show, you could repot to a slightly larger pot but don't over pot as this can lead to overwatering. Just my opinion... others will add, I'm certain.

o

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm really new at this, but enjoying it thoroughly. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond! Can I ask how often you water during the winter? Mine will be inside as well under a gro-light at temps of about 65.

o

Mine are moved into a greenhouse with daytime temps in the mid to upper 60's and nights in the lower 60's. Moderate humidity because they are in with orchids that get watered weekly. I water many succulents about 10 days or more and some not for weeks. You have to watch your plants. Things like Echeveria will get soft leaves meaning they want water. If they don't perk up may indicate root rot. Dorstenia just get some water every 10 days or so except D. gigas, lavrani, horwoodii and gypsophila which get less. You may find this link helpful:http:// www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here