Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

A bit on the succulent side....

...of the greenhouse , which according to the d/h, is taking over but where does he expect me to grow them, outdoors, this is the UK after all!

Gill UK

{{gwi:637075}}

{{gwi:637077}}

{{gwi:637079}}

{{gwi:637080}}

{{gwi:637081}}

{{gwi:637083}}

{{gwi:636557}}

Comments (18)

• jan650
    9 years ago

Fantastic

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Great plants thanks for sharing! My Orbea is not showing any signs of blooming yet... perhaps I'll have to wait till next year :(
    Love the Pachy and the Sedums too!

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

Hi Gill
    The weather over the pond can't be that bad, your plants look gorgeous. I especially like the way the jades turned out
    after the whack job.

Richard

• Klebehj11
    9 years ago

These are wonderful. I wish I had such an impressive collection!

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I have to say, I'm jealous. Haha

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

Great collection! I really need a greenhouse. Seeing these makes me want one more!

• _eee
    9 years ago

Great collection and everything looks so healthy. Your Adeniums look really nice.
    Dottie

• hijole
    9 years ago

Gill, Now that's one awesome collection & they all look so happy , you've really convinced them that they're living in the right climate , Good job.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 21:14

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Looks like a happy and healthy collection.
    Karen

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The specimens are excellent! Love seeing the Jade progress :-)

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well thanks everyone! They have all done well this year as we have had a really good summer with temps of 30C+++.

The 2 big jades have put on good growth since whacking one of all it's leaves and most of it's thin growth and the other that had it's secondary trunk chopped off. I'll get them through the winter and re-post for the next stage in spring when I assume some thinning out of the new growths will be advised. I'm pleased that I took your advise on how best to deal with them.

I don't grow any succs outside apart from my big Agave attenuata that's potted and will soon be back in the g/h. I took 2 tiny pups off it this spring and managed to get 1 to root...it's in the front of the 2nd pic, and today I spied the mother plant has got another one :)

You have previously ID'd the fat leaved glaucous plant (back row 2nd pic) but I stupidly failed to write a label at the time thinking I would remember it and now can't locate the thread, it flowered this year for several weeks....also what are the two rosette types in the back right and left corners of the same pic please, they sprout arching stems of yellowy/orange bell shaped flowers all summer? Thanks :)

Gill UK

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

You have a very nice collection going there.I love the structure of the adeniums.I don't have any of those yet,so i'm going to have to do something about that.Tfs
    Kathi

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kathi. The jades are beginning to colour up now as we move into autumn with it's cooler temps. I hope you get to try some adeniums, are you thinking of getting seeds or plants? Desert Rose seeds are fascinating to try and it's fun to see them grow so fat. Also it's surprising how fast they germinate, I had sprouts in 59 hours from one batch! Plus they can grow quickly in the early stages.

I re-potted my best Hobbit since I took the pics above. So I just need several more terracotta bowls for the others now as I think those look better than taller plant pots, especially plastic ones like mine are, lol. Would have been better to match the gravel and the quartz rock better so I may swap the gravel for some grey limestone chips, or even the rock for some dark orange limestone I have. Funny how you don't notice these things when you're actually doing it, they only jump out at you when you see a picture of what you've done!!
    {{gwi:637086}}

Gill UK

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

All of your plants look healthy and beautifully grown. It is a joy to see such skilled and meticulous care.

• Klebehj11
    9 years ago

Hi Gill,

I was wondering what the "tree" looking plants were in the latter pictures?

Thanks!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoovb, thank you for such kind words, I honestly don't think my efforts are that good! I just dabble with growing my C&S and didn't realise I had acquired these. It wasn't until I started to place them together that I thought I could be getting addicted to these little fellahs, lol! I just enjoy tending them, they give me great pleasure, interest and relaxation, as does the whole of my garden, and I think a home without plants is really lacking in something.

Hello Klebehj11, the two large tree like plants I think you are referring to...the ones in the blue ceramic pots, are Crassula ovatas/aka Jade plants. Between them at the back and behind the Easter cactus is an Adenium obesum/aka Desert rose. The next pic has 3 more Adeniums, and the following pic has the tall Adenium and a tray of mixed species Adeniums i.e. Ad. socotranum, obesum and arabicum. Hope this helps, I should have named them I guess.

Gill UK

• Klebehj11
    9 years ago

Gill,

Thanks for feeding my curiosity! You're plants are wonderful and are convincing me I should get more!

Heather

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Very NICE, they are all so pretty and healthy...Thanks for sharing!!

Great assortment, you do them justice :o)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner