Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Echeveria

Since not many of you were able to offer some good sources for Echeveria, I now turn to all of you once again for assistance. I know posting this request here may be inappropriate, but I'm reasonably certain it won't get too many of your noses out of joint; at least I hope not.

I would look through the exchange list but so far haven't found anything promising. I'm looking for the more "unusual" like Echeveria with carbuncle leaves, or multicolor wavy leafed ( I know this is a function of growing in full sun) or some of the species, like E. pulvinata, cante (not subrigida), setosa var. deminuta (not var ciliata), setosa var. minor, 'Morning Light',or 'Truffles' (not shaviana 'Pinky' or 'Pink Frills')etc... you get the point. Thanks for looking and being understanding of my request.

Comments (28)

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

This is the breeding of Dick Wright and not the sun. Norma

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I wish I could help but don't know of any good sources. Echeverias are my favorites of the succulent world. Have you ever considered ordering from Oz, maybe a group order to offset expenses? I got in on a group order of Hoyas cuttings a couple of years back from David Liddle it worked out really well.

I lucked out my source here in Canada isn't mailorder but he does have some beauties, I'm looking for E. 'Raindrop', have 'Paul Bunyan' and 'Mauna Loa'. Can't wait to get back there next spring and see what other little treasures he has :).

I imagine you've already googled Echeveria sources, the two I looked at probably don't have what you're looking for tho.

Annette

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette, I'm not familiar with "OZ" or David Liddle. Some direction as to website or contact information?

11 years ago

Bikerdoc, link below. I go here on occasion and daydream :).

David Liddle had one of the largest Hoya collections in the world. I think his daughter is carrying on the business. Visit the Hoya Forum for more information, I haven't kept in touch with who's doing the group orders of late, there was someone doing it in both Canada and the U.S.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Echeverias

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Howard

There are some beauties there, hopefully they ship to USA?
    (OZ as in Australia, right?)

price list

If you get any, please post photos...Rina

11 years ago

You probably already know about this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kara Cactus and Succulent Nursery

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Annette, I do know about and have ordered from Kara Cactus and Luther and Lynn-Marie. Luther has told me he is getting too old for all of this and wonder about the future.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

There's an Australian nursery that has a nice selection but I have no idea if they'll ship to the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Succulent Garden

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

It is completely illegal to ship ANYTHING alive in or out of Australia.
    There is many things that i would have bought from there, but i read on some australian government page, that it is illegal to ship anytning alive out, not even a rhizome. Sad things...

11 years ago

Micro, that can't be true, maybe this pertains just to fauna? A couple of years ago I along with several other people put in a group order for unrooted Hoya cutting from Australia. We had to have a Import Permit and pay for a Phyto, we all paid for our cuttings separately but the order was sent to one person here in Canada, she repackaged and sent them out to us, we reimbursed her the postage. Did this a couple of times with no problems. Our Hoya cuttings came from the Liddle Nursery in Australia.

I guess a quick email to any of these Succulent Nurseries would find out their policies on international orders. They probably have a minimum order, so this is where a group order helps.

Annette

• karyn1
    11 years ago

It's too bad that you can't import plants from Australia. My DH imports loads of cut flowers from Australia and New Zealand and I've bought seeds from Australia a number of times.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karyn, don't the postal rates make importing cut flowers very costly? I just priced out shipping a one pound package from 48322 to Australia and Global Express which is 3 - 5 day delivery cost $38.00. The Echeveria at the above websites are absolutely beautiful and I'd love to acquire several of them.... maybe one day.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Howard,

I'd suggest getting yourself to a major* C&S Show, maybe of the two-day variety, in June, July or August. Combine that with a trip to area nurseries and you'll be on the cutting edge of Echemania in Michigan. Or you could get a person living there to do the shopping for you, I guess, if travel's not in the cards - that way they could be mailed domestically and you wouldn't have to worry about CITES/phytosanitary certificates.

* = West Coast, like the one in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: SDCSS

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jeff... you always have such great advice... I was going to go to the St Louis show this past year but "stuff" got in the way. I am planning to attend next year! As for shows here in Michigan, the only one of which I am aware is next weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan C&S Show. I attended last year and can't say it's much of a show. There are no vendors and only club members selling what they no longer want or haven't got room for. Again, Thanks

Howard

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Howard it's a multimillion dollar business. They ship thousands of flowers daily. The cost of shipping flowers from Australia is no more then flowers from Thailand and only marginally more then Europe. The cost of the product itself fluctuates and it just depends on the auction prices that day.

Jeff made a great suggestion. I have a friend that picks up plants from the Strybing Arboretum sales and ships them to me.

• User
    11 years ago

Additional to Jeff's suggestion, perhaps RosemarieRo will see this & make a suggestion. She's an excellent Echeveria person here, seems to really be on top of their IDs & care, am thinking she'll likely know a place or 2.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Monrovia carries E. cante Item 6750. Maybe you can get a nursery that orders from them to order one for you. They ship all over the country but they are a wholesale nursery

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Kara Nursery seems to have a lot of pretty cool echeveria , E cante. , E. etna, E. moana loa, E. zora and many more . I really like E. carne color X diffractens. Oh and thank you for making me look around. I might just have to crack the pocket book

Here is a link that might be useful: kara nursery

11 years ago

Howard,

Mara's given us a pile of trouble, hasn't she, with the Kara Nursery link - boy, oh boy, I could spend a big pile of cashish there.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Ms.Google is my friend. She tells me all I need to know but She does not give me any money.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Oh I sere they were mentioned above. I am not a good reader.

11 years ago

Mara,

That's two of us - Annette had provided the link but it didn't sink into my consciousness.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I guess we better order soon.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here is another site that I found. Not as good as Kara's nursery but they have some interesting things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent Gardening

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all and for the websites. Succulent Gardening is good but they require a minimum of $50.00 and I'm a bit short so another time unless someone in the Detroit area wants in on something or at least lives close so postage is less.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Jeff.... lots of trouble brewing on this thread... with Karyn knowing someone to ship her plants (so, Karyn, when you going to introduce me to your friend LOL), to all the new websites, I may be joining some of you in the plant poor house.... and very soon!!!! I may not need a show comes next summer...well, yes maybe! Now, what about that group order?????? Am I to be the designated organizer?????

• echemaniac
    11 years ago

Why don't you contact Dick Wright ?? His email address is on my website Echeverias in Oz. I can also send you a contact who does international orders from Oz, but one needs very long pockets to go that way

Good Hunting

Bev in Oz

• karyn1
    11 years ago

That goodness it's getting towards the end of the season and I have to start thinking about moving plants to the greenhouse, not buying more, or I'd be in trouble. Those links are very tempting.

Now if someone could talk my DH into having some of his suppliers ship me plants in with the cut flowers : ) He's afraid that they'll be found and the entire shipment confiscated. Customs does a half assed job of checking. You have no idea how many tropical/non native frogs and lizards arrive from other countries that they don't see. Most don't survive because of the refrigeration but I do keep the survivors. The main thing they are looking for is drugs, especially from South America and Thailand.