Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save my fallen Jade!

Posted by Shira_ none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 11:43

I have a Jade plant. Actually, I have a small collection of jade plants (indoors - I currently live in IL) that I've successfully grown from cuttings. I have one in particular that's roughly 12 inches tall, and rather tree-like. Unfortunately, this jade plant recently suffered from a fall... It was uneven and I had recently re-potted it, and one thing led to another... it fell over, and ripped most of its roots off.

So I now have a large-ish jade plant with no roots. What do I do? I don't want it to die! I know that they grow roots naturally anyway, but I'm concerned it won't grow them fast enough to support itself... Any suggestions? I had been thinking of some kind of root hormone, but I don't know which one to buy, and I don't want to accidentally make it worse...

Thanks for any advice you have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save my fallen Jade!

I don't hear too many people bothering with the rooting hormone on the jades. what led to the repot? there was a healthy root system at that time? also pics of your collection would be enjoyable :)

o

Unfortunately, this jade plant recently suffered from a fall...

Backwards starting from when it fell. Mist the soil from time to time and not as much misting but some of the root remaining, Allow it to build more root back again
It takes a little time untill it can hold it's self upright on it's own..

Maybe other options as well . If you need to post a pic then just to show where it's at

Below is a fell one of mine two 2 months after
Good luck

o

It seemed to have a healthy root system when I repotted it... Initially, I repotted it because it was too large for its home.

In hindsight, I probably should have trimmed it a little as well... So I guess a follow-up question would be, given that it has suffered this accident, can I trim it back some? Will that help or hurt?

Thanks so much!

PS - These are some of my plants... Mostly Jade plants, and mostly from one old plant that I turned into cuttings because it wan't going to survive if I didn't. Sorry for the funny angle!

o

i dont see why not, looks like you got yourself even more jade plants out of this deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here