Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccactuslady

getting ready to move indoors

nccactuslady
13 years ago

Our nights are getting cooler so I'm getting plants ready to move indoors... thought I would share a few pictures of some of my succulents.

{{gwi:637550}}

{{gwi:637551}}

{{gwi:637552}}

{{gwi:637553}}

{{gwi:637554}}

Comments (12)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

NCCL,

That's a nice collection - I'll be following you by a few days in The Move Indoors. Your plants have coloured up ever so well over the summer while being outside.

PS (unrequested advice - the Aloe variegata wants less water than those other two).

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

(unrequested advice - the Aloe variegata wants less water than those other two).

I only water this when it is totally dry but thank you for the info... I knew it was some sort of aloe but didn't know which.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Nice collection.
    It's over 100 degrees here with the heat index. I can only dream of cooler nights. Bringing plants in around here is usually a panic situation!
    Ya'll have a good winter.
    Tally HO!

• gardenbear1
    13 years ago

I'm a few weeks ahead of you on moving my cactus indoors, the last 3 weeks the nights have dipping down into to 40, so ever one came in early this year.

Bear

• notolover
    13 years ago

We have already had at least 6 hard freezes-I'm getting tired of covering up my garden already :-(. The tender cacti are in a microclimate so they stay a little warmer.

Even so, I'm going to move in my smaller Echinopsis and all my Mamms this weekend and a few other more tender types. I already brought in the epi and the 2 desert roses. I think all 3 of them seem happier in the sunroom-I don't know if it was the low temps or the wind, but the tips of the DR leaves were getting brown outside.

I found a source for some plastic protectors that are more heavy duty than Wall of Waters and I'm going to try to overwinter a Trichocereus in my hardy bed. I don't know if it has grown enough roots to live through the winter, but it's fun to experiment.

And I'm thinking of using these protectors in my garden next year to start seeds earlier so I want to see how they hold up before I order more of them.

I envy you people that can leave your plants outside, but I like the break from gardening, too. Most of the overtime I work is in the winter. And I like sitting around watching movies in the winter and not having to worry about outside chores, but I'm pretty lazy....

• dlent92
    8 years ago

Hi there! I started my first succulent garden this year in pots. I live in Oregon where the nights are starting to get in the 50s. I'm thinking I should probably bring my plants indoors but don't have a table or shelves to keep them all on as of yet. However I do have a hutch(in my living room) with glass doors that I am hoping would help keep some warmth in for them. It does not get a lot of sun. Do you think this would be a safe place to store them? It may get a little dusty in there. I don't have to many options though! I'll take all the advice I can get. Thank you very much.

Danielle

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Danielle

First of all, there is probably still some time before they should go indoors. If temps drop to about 50*F for just a short time (hours or two) overnight, it's still not too cold.It also depends on what plants you have, but many succulents can stay outdoors until temps are consistently staying just below 50*F. Could you post names of your plant if you have them or at least photo of them?

The hutch idea is not so good if you are thinking to close the door. DON'T, succulents need air circulation, you'll suffocate them if you do. If you use it as a shelving-storage and keep door open, it could work. BUT, it will be very dark in there - maybe you can put some lights in there? Take photo and post, there are some other things you could possibly do with it but need to see it. And how much "damage" could that hutch take - you need to think about possible water spills and so on. They really don't have to be super warm during winter and especially if they are in relative dark location.

It is always big concern for all of us in colder climate when weather cools off...we all have to be creative!

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

duplicate post - my answer copied to this thread:about moving plants indoors

Rina

• dlent92
    8 years ago

Thank you so much! I will post a picture this evening once I am home, I don't know the names of any really. -_-

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

I'm so relieved I live in an area where I can leave most of my stuff outside. We have had some nights that dip into the low 30s or maybe high 20s but I just toss a plastic sheet over everything and it seems okay. Whatever damage might occur to individual leaves doesn't kill the plant.

i wouldn't mind the work of bringing it in but I don't know where you guys find the room! Well, not the space but table space? I'd need at least 15 more tables in the house unless I put them on the floor.

I am impressed and admire the dedication!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

Rina, LOL. They do take up quite a bit of space. Oh, the tables I could have...