Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Crown of Thorns in full bloom

Marie Tran
11 years ago

I have some Crown of Thorn in full bloom right now. These pictures took last week. White is the hardest color to find.

{{gwi:637683}}

{{gwi:637687}}

{{gwi:637689}}

{{gwi:637691}}

{{gwi:637693}}

{{gwi:637695}}

{{gwi:637696}}

{{gwi:637699}}

{{gwi:637702}}

{{gwi:637704}}

{{gwi:637706}}

{{gwi:637707}}

{{gwi:637708}}

{{gwi:637709}}

{{gwi:637710}}

Comments (22)

• scsva
    11 years ago

Wow! Love 'em! Thanks for sharing with us.

Susan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

They're all gorgeous but oh my, that last one, real eye candy.

Annette

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Wowser,Love them all!! Have never seen a white one.They're like potato chips,can't like just one.TFS all this eye candy.
    Kathi

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Susan, Annette, and Kathi. Crown of Thorn has many beautiful colors now.( I am still collecting) But the color white is hardest to get. I went to so much trouble to get the white one. I also had many different colors that I post on one thread.
    My crown of thorn collection.
    Marie

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

So wonderful! Thank you for sharing :-) I have always had my eye on those. I almost bought one once, but decided against it. Now after seeing all of yours, I'm kicking myself lol

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Marie,

I knew it would be a Flower Show! but I didn't know it would be that much - TFS!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I could be losing my mind, but is #10 a Bougainvillea?

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Great flowers!
    Is number 7 from the top --pink and green flower-- a named variety?
    Mike

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

I'm not the OP but I know a bougainvillea when I see one, and yes, that was one.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jessie, Cactusmcharris,and Mike.
    Yes, #10 is Bougainvilla. My friend gave me a rooted cutting bougainvilla and within 3 months, that was how big it get.

Mike, I don't have any name for my crown of thorn.
    I traded one of my other plant to get that cutting and it did well for me since the trade.

Marie

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Marie! My goodness, yellow being my favorite in which I still have to get one. That is such a beautiful plant! Is there anything you ever grow less than perfect?

Great job as always and I am always impressed by your plants. Thank you

MIke:-)

• GreenThumbnail
    11 years ago

How lovely! The very definition of "curb appeal"!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

What kind of fertilizer do you use on them??
    TIA
    Kathi

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

OH What beauties....I have a white a lite yellow and a red now the red is old and I sort of experimented on it because it came with no directions and at that time there was no Google...so it is woody and about a ft. tall with leaves on top the other two are full and still blooming but I been told to keep them wet more than a normal cacti its a cross so far so good what type of fertilizer do you all use???

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much to all my friends in this forum with very nice commends.

Mike, many of my plants died too, with so many unknown reasons. I didn't show you those....hehehe...

Kathi and Juliebees...I don't use any special fertilizer.
    I love Osmocote for my desert rose and crown of thorn...everything I have gets Osmocote...twice per year..

Miracle grow mix about once every 3 weeks.

More of my collection on this link.
    CROWN OF THORN COLLECTION

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0518211326868.html

Copy and paste if the link doesn't work.
    Marie

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Gorgeous as usual, Ltran, really nice stuff.

It makes my indoor grown ones look really puny by comparison, but they ARE different plants.

Hi JulieBee,

I think most fertilizers would be OK for this plant, yes, to keeping it more moist than one would think. FYI: it's not a cactus, but rather a succulent.

Would also benefit from being grown on a humidity tray (or pebble tray).

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Marie I love the Thai with the pink and green blooms and also the white one in the last pic.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

That's my favorite of these too Karyn, the pink & green, it's so cool in its multi-hued look!

• ahoogstra
    11 years ago

Wow! I am in awe! I have always wanted to see some in bloom! You are blessed! Thank you for sharing!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Marie, I just had to take a second look! Amazing. Thanks for being humble...:-)

How many hours of direct sun do you give them and do you bring them in for the winter? Where do they go once the colder weather moves in? A sunny window, under lights?

Thanks again!

Mike

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you my friends here who left nice commends for me.

Mike, my COT get full sun most of the day. For winter, I mostly likely keep them out, unlet under 20 degrees. They can take the cold better than desert rose.

Marie

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Marie

They are just georgeous. Love all the colors, I would have hard time to choose just one. And I like that hey are pretty 'compact' - at least it looks like it from the photos.

You mean you keep them outside as long as temps don't drop below 20*F? (that would be approx. -6.5*C). I thought they have to be kept warmer. Do you water them less in winter? Are they staying in same location through the winter (sun/light-wise)?

Rina