Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown of Thorns in full bloom

Posted by ltran54 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 12:06

I have some Crown of Thorn in full bloom right now. These pictures took last week. White is the hardest color to find.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown of Thorns in full bloom

Wow! Love 'em! Thanks for sharing with us.

Susan

o

They're all gorgeous but oh my, that last one, real eye candy.

Annette

o

Wowser,Love them all!! Have never seen a white one.They're like potato chips,can't like just one.TFS all this eye candy.
Kathi

o

Thank you Susan, Annette, and Kathi. Crown of Thorn has many beautiful colors now.( I am still collecting) But the color white is hardest to get. I went to so much trouble to get the white one. I also had many different colors that I post on one thread.
My crown of thorn collection.
Marie

o

So wonderful! Thank you for sharing :-) I have always had my eye on those. I almost bought one once, but decided against it. Now after seeing all of yours, I'm kicking myself lol

o

Marie,

I knew it would be a Flower Show! but I didn't know it would be that much - TFS!

o

I could be losing my mind, but is #10 a Bougainvillea?

o

Great flowers!
Is number 7 from the top --pink and green flower-- a named variety?
Mike

o

I'm not the OP but I know a bougainvillea when I see one, and yes, that was one.

o

Thanks Jessie, Cactusmcharris,and Mike.
Yes, #10 is Bougainvilla. My friend gave me a rooted cutting bougainvilla and within 3 months, that was how big it get.

Mike, I don't have any name for my crown of thorn.
I traded one of my other plant to get that cutting and it did well for me since the trade.

Marie

o

Marie! My goodness, yellow being my favorite in which I still have to get one. That is such a beautiful plant! Is there anything you ever grow less than perfect?

Great job as always and I am always impressed by your plants. Thank you

MIke:-)

o

How lovely! The very definition of "curb appeal"!

o

What kind of fertilizer do you use on them??
TIA
Kathi

o

OH What beauties....I have a white a lite yellow and a red now the red is old and I sort of experimented on it because it came with no directions and at that time there was no Google...so it is woody and about a ft. tall with leaves on top the other two are full and still blooming but I been told to keep them wet more than a normal cacti its a cross so far so good what type of fertilizer do you all use???

o

Thank you so much to all my friends in this forum with very nice commends.

Mike, many of my plants died too, with so many unknown reasons. I didn't show you those....hehehe...

Kathi and Juliebees...I don't use any special fertilizer.
I love Osmocote for my desert rose and crown of thorn...everything I have gets Osmocote...twice per year..

Miracle grow mix about once every 3 weeks.

More of my collection on this link.
CROWN OF THORN COLLECTION

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0518211326868.html

Copy and paste if the link doesn't work.
Marie

o

Gorgeous as usual, Ltran, really nice stuff.

It makes my indoor grown ones look really puny by comparison, but they ARE different plants.

Hi JulieBee,

I think most fertilizers would be OK for this plant, yes, to keeping it more moist than one would think. FYI: it's not a cactus, but rather a succulent.

Would also benefit from being grown on a humidity tray (or pebble tray).

o

Marie I love the Thai with the pink and green blooms and also the white one in the last pic.

o

That's my favorite of these too Karyn, the pink & green, it's so cool in its multi-hued look!

o

Wow! I am in awe! I have always wanted to see some in bloom! You are blessed! Thank you for sharing!

o

Marie, I just had to take a second look! Amazing. Thanks for being humble...:-)

How many hours of direct sun do you give them and do you bring them in for the winter? Where do they go once the colder weather moves in? A sunny window, under lights?

Thanks again!

Mike

o

Thank you my friends here who left nice commends for me.

Mike, my COT get full sun most of the day. For winter, I mostly likely keep them out, unlet under 20 degrees. They can take the cold better than desert rose.

Marie

o

Marie

They are just georgeous. Love all the colors, I would have hard time to choose just one. And I like that hey are pretty 'compact' - at least it looks like it from the photos.

You mean you keep them outside as long as temps don't drop below 20*F? (that would be approx. -6.5*C). I thought they have to be kept warmer. Do you water them less in winter? Are they staying in same location through the winter (sun/light-wise)?

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here