Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

Growing roots on sedum burros tail

LilBit7765
9 years ago

So I got a question about growing roots on sed burros tail using Al's gritty mix. This plant I had to cut the ends off with the roots. So is it better to lay on TOP is the mix or put IN the mix to grow the roots? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Ether way will work sedum and there sub species grow very fast I have had roots in less than a week u will be fine i have everything from vera Higgins to live forever

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked up another burros tail today and I noticed the leaves in this one are more rounded and fuller while the other one is longer a little skinnier and sharper angular almost like a banana shape. What's the difference between the two?

• Misselle
    9 years ago

One is a Sedum morganianum and the other is Sedum burrito. I have one, but have it labeled as the other cause I always get the names confused lol. Both are cool though :-)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes they are!! Thanks

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I have a burros tail (or rather many of them in one pot) and I usually like to have enough of a stem at the bottom to stick it in the mix. The little pieces that ALWAYS fall off I drop on top and they root too. So, I suppose it depends on how large of a piece you have - for me anyway.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Deva, that is how I grew my burros tail in gritty mix. I used toothpicks to hold the cuttings in place until they rooted.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, so you tucked them down in the mix? Can you PLEASE post a pic to show me how you used the toothpicks? And how long did it take? And how often did you mist them? Thank you :)

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

I don't have a pic of when I planted the cuttings. What I did was pushed the calloused stems (about 1 1/2" of stem) into the gritty mix and placed toothpicks between the leaves to hold them in place.

It sounds easy, but it took a while, as the cuttings kept falling as I would put other cuttings in the pot. You just have to keep at it. If I have any advice as far as the cuttings go, it would be far easier to plant a 4" cutting with a 2" calloused stem and a 2" leafed stem. If the leafed part is too long, the cuttings will be harder to plant and longer to root. I misted them every other day and they rooted fairly quickly.

This plant grows quickly when placed outside from spring through fall, so you'd have long "tails" in no time. Here's a pic of mine from late spring. It's grown quite a bit this summer in full sun and the summer rain. I fertilize about 2x per month in the summer. I keep it in an east window in the winter and water good about every 5-6 weeks.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My step mom just have me another cutting of it. (EVERTIME I go over she sends me home with goodie bags) lol which I don't mind. She's had hers for years and I didn't even know it!! So I was buying them for nothing lol! It lost some leaves in transit. It was flowering too!