Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashton89

Plant ID

Ashton89
10 years ago

I bought it from a local grower and the tag has faded so I can't read the name.
Thanks!

Comments (18)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I don't know - it's cute, isn't it? I'd WAG it as 1) not your run-of-the-mill Crassula or 2) a New World Crasslulaceae hybrid of two genera.

You'll get an answer soon, I think, as soon as someone puts their camera down - she'll know this one.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Ha ha, Jeff!

How large is the pot, so I can get a reference for size?
    Looks like possibly an xGraptoveria (Perhaps 'Fred Ives'), but I could be way off on that. It doesn't look quite right for it. It would be best to wait for blooms to ID it. It you could get a closer (clear) pic of one rosette, I'll take another look at it.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hahaha, I was going to guess 'Fred Ives' too but with a note that it must be in a tortured state.

It looks fuzzy, though. Is it fuzzy?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thought I added another response last night from my phone. Guess not! I thought the fuzzy look was due to my eyes being bleary/tired or a pic out of focus. If it is fuzzy, that changes everything. Also, having leaf growth at the stem between other leaves might be an indicator of stress...or another plant all together!

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's very cute! I haven't seem anything like it before. That being said, I don't have a clue what I'm dealing with!

It IS fuzzy! Like a texture of a lambs ear. Here are some closer pictures. The pot is small.

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of the pot

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the additional pix! =) Nice, fuzzy plant!

Well...closest I can figure is a Kalanchoe tomentosa (like 'Chocolate Soldier'-shown at link below), but that's not it. Your leaves are not as thick, not as fuzzy, have a vein(?)-one or more visible, pointy leaf ends & small leaves growing at the base of the larger leaves. Not the same as the Kal I mentioned. The stem does seem to be fuzzy like the Kal, though.

I'm not quite sure this is a succulent, but have no alternative guesses for you.

You said you bought from a local grower. Any chance you can go back & ask them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Chocolate Soldier'

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! Any guess is a good as mine. The guy I bought it from is out for town for a few weeks attending a gardening convention but I plan to call as soon as he gets back. Impatient me couldn't wait that long! I was just too excited over this plant.

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

I contacted the man from the greenhouse who I bought the plant from and he told me that it is an "Aeollanthus repens"

It apparently will have some lovely flowers in the spring!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I was just thinking of you last night, wondering if you'd come back. Thanks! Glad you were able to get the name from the guy...and that it was CORRECT! That is a new one to me! I Googled it & see that the blooms look very similar to a plant I have, Plectranthus neochilus. Your blooms will be a paler color. The leaves show the difference more between these two plants. (The blooms ARE very similar!)

While looking around Google images, came across the listing at Dave's Garden. Three of the 4 pix they have listed as yours, Aeollanthus repens, are actually Plectranthus nochilus. LOL! They say they got it ID'd at their forum. Glad we are not responsible for that goof. :P

Here's one shot of mine, showing bloom & foliage.

{{gwi:638002}}

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful shot!

It is a new one to me too. It was the only one like it at the greenhouse. I am in southeastern Ohio/6 and it was a real treat to find something like that. We don't have many growers around here. Most people have to shop at Walmart or Lowe's for plants. This nursery was a real gem though. The man told me I would probably be the only person in the county with one! Very exciting!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yes, very exciting! I looked up the plant and yes, the flowers are very similar to P. neochilus! Upon further research, Aeollanthus is also in the mint family and shares that lovely skunk scent. Ashton, can you confirm a skunky aroma?

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting!

There is a slight skunky aroma when smelling the plant directly, however I read that it gets much stronger when it flowers! I guess I will find out when that happens. My cat seems to find the plant fascinating and she normally leaves plants alone so maybe she notices the smell too? LOL

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I'm curious to hear about your findings. The stinky odor comes from brushing the leaves on my plant. I would think it the same on yours. I seriously doubt the smell will come from the flowers. I think that whomever got these 2 plants mixed up is just passing along the info from mine (Plectranthus), which has the common name of Skunk Plant. It has also been called Dog Bane & others...suppposedly able to keep cats & dogs out of your garden. FALSE! It does neither! I did plant it between us & a creepy neighbor, in hopes that every time they stick their arm through the fence to mess with my plants they will get a stinky environment & go away! =)

If your plant ever grows big & bushy like mine has, I'd be interested in trading with you (or buying a pc for postage) if you're willing.

• Ashton89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha GREAT idea! I have some of those neighbors too. Hmm maybe I will try your idea out!

And I would definitely love to trade. I'll keep you updated on how this plant is doing.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

rosemariero,
    Is this plant hardy to zone 6? Or is it only a house plant?
    Stush

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I don't know, Stush. If you mean, Ashton's plant, all I've found is it saying to plant in a frostfree area. See link below. Istill think much info on the web is confusing these 2 plants & the info is a mixture-for both plants. At least the link below has the correct foliage & flower pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeollanthus

• annaparodi
    3 years ago

Aeollanthus parvifolius or Aeollanthus repens.

The genus Aeollanthus, family Lamiaceae, is African, with about 45 species.