Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

My new plants from the Cactus show. Pics

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

I fell in love with these. I do have a big liking toward many variegates and colors.

Let me try and name them as I go along:-)

Aloe Vera 'soothing stripes'

{{gwi:638848}}

Euphorbia Tirucalli' I call it a variegated stick plant'

{{gwi:638849}}

{{gwi:638850}}

Dragon Tree

{{gwi:638851}}

Portulacara afra medis-picta vareigated. White in the center and the edges are green, opposite the common one with a red stem.

{{gwi:638852}}

{{gwi:638854}}

A Crasulla Ovata "Gargoyle' for a very good friend here!

{{gwi:638856}}

A few Variegated Jades that do not revert back to green in the winter but stay colored like this all year long. It was a good time there and great to meet a wonderful forum member here Tom! It was great meeting you Tom. I hope you had as much fun as I.

{{gwi:581919}}

{{gwi:3214}}

{{gwi:3213}}

{{gwi:638859}}

{{gwi:3215}}

{{gwi:638863}}

{{gwi:638865}}

Couple of extras

{{gwi:638867}}

Mike:-)

Comments (28)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Awesome acquisitions from the show, Mike! It was great meeting you there, too...

Check out my post from earlier in the week...I posted pics from some of the display plants at the show.

BTW, nice Z. furfuracea...makes me want to replace the one that I KILLED!

:-)

Tom

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Very nice Mike, the variegated E.truncali in interesting. Do not think I have ever seen one!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

My eyes are feasting on these excellent succulents!
    What a fun show it must have been (I just saw the updates to Tom's Thread).
    Although I wasn't there, it was nice "meeting" Glen over the phone.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol Josh.

You are way to funny. Yes, Glen was great to work with too.

Beachplants: Thanks. It is from a mother plant, one of two in the country and the only 3 cuttings my friend rooted were sold in record time! I think people knew what they were looking for.
    He did give this to me as a gift though. He had to root the darker branches, but you should see the colors on the mother plant. Very nice.

Tom: What a nice time it was there. So many good quality plants at reasonable prices. I was looking all over for unusuals and I was glad I got there early.
    That is my second Z. furfuracea. I love them. I have one that thrived from last summer, so I am thrilled to have another. I will keep it dwarfed though.
    It was nice that you made it. Hopefully there will be another come the spring. I will let you know.
    Chris almost made it. Maybe next year.

Mike

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Nice plants. If the variegated Tirucalli grows anything like it's non variegated cousin it will get huge!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Awesome Mike!! Some great plants you have there! Love, love the variegated Jades...the Hummels are starting to color up beautifully! Thanks for posting!

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Mike, those were great plants. They all looked so healthy and had beautiful color.
    marie

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Out of curiosity, what did the variegated jades sell for.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RainforestGuy:

He never had an opportunity to sell these since he is a friend and practically gave them to me. By the way, I am still waiting on your help. You still owe me a few answers? Thanks

Marie: Thank you very much.

Hi Nancy! We shall chat soon. Hope you are well and thank you.

Karyn: I hope this one grows fast and get many whites and bright colors as my friend has. His tree is a good size for sure and much more colorful than this cutting! It was very generous of him considering this one is a rare one.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RainforestGuy:

He never had an opportunity to sell these since he is a friend and practically gave them to me. By the way, I am still waiting on your help. You still owe me a few answers? Thanks

Marie: Thank you very much.

Hi Nancy! We shall chat soon. Hope you are well and thank you.

Karyn: I hope this one grows fast and get many whites and bright colors as my friend has. His tree is a good size for sure and much more colorful than this cutting! It was very generous of him considering this one is a rare one.

Mike

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Wow, Mike, guess I missed out on some good stuff, didn't I? Yes, I am kicking myself for not going now!

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike, WOW!!! So very beautiful. I've never ever seen a variegated Aloe Vera, 'first plc.'

Your Aloe striata is gorgeous, too. Nice size.

I love the variegation on your Portularcaria. My guy has reverse white and green. I like yours better, besides, yours has a LOT of white..great!

The colors of your Jades are spectacular. Oh brother, I really wish I'd gone to the show. Next year for sure. :)

Is that a ZZ plant?

Your E. lactea/Ghost Plant has a ton of white, too. I love it. They grow fairly fast, but watch those thorns!

Is there more? lol. Mike, if you and I went to the show together, we'd both have bundles in our arms. I want this and that! lol.
    But, you've got some true beautys..gotta love variegated sux. Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Ha! I can picture Mike and Toni hauling one of those red wagons around full of plants! ;-)

Josh

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

You have some very nice plants. I love the jades with all the cream color leaves. I guess that will be on my to find list..thanks for sharing Mike
    Sharon

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon: Thank you. Jades are my favorites although I am getting to like many others from all the beautiful pics here.

Josh: lol. No kidding.lol

Toni: What a nice surprise! Yes, after all these years I know you are in love with the same plants as me. ZZ plant? Where? I do have one though. Yes I saw a huge Ghost plant at the Cactus meeting and I just had to have one. They surprise you with many colors as they mature.
    I shall have to share something with you:-) Next year your coming.

Chris..There's always next spring:))). I will keep you abreast! Wish you could of been there.

Mike:-)

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Mike, you sure love your variegated succulents! And you always know where to find them, too! Good job, my friend.

Christopher

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Hey Mike..everything looks just awesome buddy! What a wonderful way to spend a tuesday afternoon looking at all these lovely plants. Congrats on all the new babies!

Mary

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Mike,

It looks like you hit the jackpot as far as finding these gorgeous plants. I especially love the varigated ones.

Looks like it was a great show and you picked up some great varieties!!!

They all look wonderful and im sure they will be happy in your hands!!! They dont realize what a wonderful home they just arrived at. They will be in great hands with your knowledge and care....

Great looking pictures..

Thanks for posting all of the beauties!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

By the looks of it, you must've had a great time plant shopping. I'm fully confident you'll soon have them all growing great and looking just as spiffy and content as the rest of your phytocharges.

Take good care.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Al! So good to see you:-)

I must admit that I have been a bit more daring with these types plants than ever before, and I have to thank YOU for making it possible and myself for applying the knowledge that you and several others have been patiently taught me.
    Anything is possible now.

Laura: Thank you! Yes. you know me. Anything not that easily found, different and colorful are what I am always looking for. Thank goodness I have a friend willing to hook me up:-))))

Hi Mary: Hummm. I can't wait to what you have next too. Glad I was able to make part of your day.

Thanks Chris! I would love it if you came next time. I will hook you up!

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

HEy Mike,
    Just had to com and post to this. These all look awesome CONGRATS!

I hope t hey all do very well for you.

Andrew

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Andrew!

What a honor for you to post here! Thank you. That means a lot. Have a great day :-)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Josh, don't give me any ideas. I still have my son's little, red wagon. lol.

Hey Mike. Thank you, glad to be here, too. About the ZZ. Check pics 11 and 13. Your plant is either a ZZ or Cycad. Both have similar leaves so it's hard to tell. Wait. I just saw the base/trunk. Yours is a Cycad..lol..Forget the ZZ, it's not. lol. Take care, Toni

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for sharing the pics of the plants - it looks like you added to your collection considerably. How about a pic of you and Tom and the plants?

One thing you had written - 'A few variegated Jades that do not revert back to green in the winter but stay colored like this all year long' - has given me pause. Are you saying you have plants that do this? I've never seen a variegated C. o. (C. o. v.) do this. The colours will be less intense in the winter (even if you're using lights, you know the hues aren't as good as they are in the summer light), but none of my C. o. v. lose their variegation at any time. They might have offsets which aren't variegated, but part of the plant always has variegation, 8,760 hours of the year.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni:

You are just too funny. You of all people know my plants sometimes better than I.lol. You got it right with Cycad:-)

Jeff:

Thank you. I can tell you that Tom and I saw some real beauties. A picture of us would of been a great idea.

My Friend says that the color of those jades above, in particular the very bright variegates will retain that color all year without supplemental lighting. In fact, those ones above received less than 6 hours of direct sunlight all summer to be followed by shade of trees.
    That is what makes these difficult to find and different than any other I have ever had. In fact, I have never seen until he showed me.
    He received the mother plant labeled as "Sunrise", and has never seen them sold anywhere.
    I tell him he is lucky to have friends on the other side of the world and I lucky to have access to a few of his extras.

His friend keeps his on the Northwest side of his home and they keep the brilliant color all year long.

I shall see for myself this winter since a couple will be kept in an East facing window and the rest under just lights in the basement. I will keep you updated as winter passes by.

Mike :-)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike, all your new succulents are adorable.
    Did you find the Crassula's that do not revert to green at the show, too? They're all so beautiful, never seen or heard of any Crussula like the one you found.

Do you know an online store that sells this type?
    By chance, did the show have vendors from various nurseries that 'might' sell online?? lol.

I looked for the Afra after seeing yours, but no dice. There are variegatas available, but they're all common, opposite of your colors.

Yes, please keep us posted on your new Crassulas..Thanks, Toni

• ffbste
    12 years ago

Hi Mike, Love the plants, and they all look very healthy! We get some succulents here in the UK, but none as exotic as the plants you have. Your a very lucky man :) Steve.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Steve! Thanks man. You will be lucky someday soon too!:-)

Toni! Hello again. I know of no such store that sells these plants. I will keep you posted. It has been cloudy for days on end, and they are still vibrant. Keeping my fingers crossed as we head into the winter.
    Thanks Toni:-)

Mike:-0)