Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Lithops Question

Hi guys,

About a year and a half ago, I just threw a bunch of ailing succulents and cuttings in this wide and shallow pot full of gritty mix. The "design," if you can call it that, is really not as pretty as I had imagined it in my head...so I've really not paid any attention to it since. It gets watered when everything else does and maybe might get fertilized a few times a year when I have leftovers.

{{gwi:638901}}

But today as I was peering through it for the first time in ages, I noticed that I had planted lithops in this pot. They're alive and seem to be doing okay, but I know (now) that they have different needs than the rest of the plants in this pot.

Should I leave them there since they're fine or should I pull them out and plant them separately? I do like those "rocks" and wondered what I had done with them...figured I must have killed them and forgotten haha...but there they were.

Comments (15)

• bouldergrower
    9 years ago

They look much better than the single one I have. I would keep them in the pot and see what happens.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, I would leave them since they are growing so well....better than my oh so careful care and I am jealous :).
    I think your pot looks really nice and everything looks healthy so I wouldn't change a thing. Dottie

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boulder,

After thinking about it all morning and seeing they're also etiolated as that wretched pot is like an overgrown jungle....I did pull them out into their own little pot.

I don't think they're supposed to be so tall, lol. Hopefully they can get their own light and separate watering schedule. I know I didn't have 7 sets.... I just bought one little plant with two sets, so they must have multiplied.

I missed these guys!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EEE,

Aww, thank you. But it's really an ugly pot of plants. You're seeing one little portion of it which might look ok, but altogether it might be the most hideous combination I've ever put together, lol. I'd take a photo of it but it's too sunny right now.

Which was why I was peering into it this morning after really ignoring it for a year, because now, I have the space to separate everything, but I was looking for the will to do so when I spotted the Lithops. "Oh THERE you guys are!" LOL

:-)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Would wait for them to have the annual slumber party and then would seperate would also add another pot for the Aloinopsis.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I think you did the right thing to pull them out of the mixed pot, they really won't do too well in there in the long run, as you mentioned some of them are already etiolated. But other than that they're looking healthy and plumped :) Best of luck with them, the stretched ones will be corrected once regeneration happens.

Oh and by the way, that looks like a 3" plastic pot? Usually people would recommend at least 10cm height pots for Lithops to accommodate their long tap roots, just some reference for your next repot.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nomen,

I've since reorganized everything from that jungle and feel much better. Haha. The Aloinopsis is also in its own small pot now.

David,

Thanks. Good to know re: pot height. I am at that awkward stage right now where I'm using leftover pots from purchases...and I've used all of my medium clay pots all over the garden. I have about 5 3 gallon clay pots left to fill -- yay! -- but I really need to find a good pot sale happening somewhere.

Will move once it goes dormant. I'm an obsessive repotter with absolutely no regard for the season or time of day. Obviously, lol.

Photos coming...

Grace

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blooms!! :) These little guys are too cute and so forgiving. â¡â¡

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

LOL Sooner is better than later too. Way to go on repotting quickly for any reason, no reason or time of day, season or ...... When things don't look right after a couple splashes of water I too am guilty. Often habiting the three minute race of out of pot and back into anouther ( or same pot with adjusted soil or mix) any time of the of the year.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nomen,

Yup. For the most part, I've been lucky in that "more shock but better environment" rapidly has helped the plant come back. There are a handful of cases, like a Draceana that comes to mind, where perhaps my rapid and numerous attempts to save it killed it. C'est la vie!

I even repotted the lithops about two days after the repotted photo, haha...because David said the pot's too short, LOL. I only had a slightly longer one, but it IS longer and I am experimenting with a really big-chunk gritty mix right now, so... Really no urge to use up a pretty pot for my etiolated lithops but maybe once they fix themselves, I'll find a tall but narrow pot for them.

This post was edited by Sugi_C on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 22:02

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Grace
    They look great. When I see such nice plants, I want to move south lol.

My puny lithops are in pots 4" tall & 3" diameter on top (2" on bottom). I had to drill drainage holes in them. They are glazed, but drainage is good now. Found them in IKEA.
    (excuse the poor photo quality...)
    Rina

• Succulentfreak3212
    9 years ago

Hi,

This is a bit off topic, but do you know the name of the very tall succulent in the middle? The tree-like one? I have the same plant and I've been trying to find the name for it.

Thanks!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rina, I love that pot! I've been drilling like crazy around here so another pot would be no big deal. Love the color, too.

Must go to Ikea, lol.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Succulentfreak, I think Grace missed your question - it looks like a portulacaria afra (elephant bush).
    Not 100% sure, she will confirm.
    Why don't you post photo of your plant?

Rina

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Totally missed the post, Rina. This email notification is SO unreliable here on GW -- real bummer.
    Succulentfreak: Rina is correct. It's a variegated portulacaria...easy plant, huh? I've since potted it up on its own, since I took the original planter apart. Hope it's like yours and you've finally gotten the name.

{{gwi:638902}}