Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

I Just Have to Share what I Seen Today :

hijole
9 years ago

Very interesting idea that can be done with Palm tree trunks, this gentleman said he hones out the trunk then drills holes for drainage.

Many tree trimmers would love to share these with you, I think I just found my new pots.

Greg

Comments (23)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ð² What a great idea hijole.

Greg

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

Very interesting, I'm wondering how and how long would you have to dry the trunk out for. Just wondering because I'm an arborist myself.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

I have a couple of large logs outside, and I've wondered about doing that. I don't have any of the tools, or how to do it the easiest way. One is wider than it is tall, and I would like to make it into a large bowl to use as a planter. Those look great!

Rob

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

100mph,

I'm not sure but it's not like there oozing with water, I'm almost sure you could plant immediately.
    What a great idea for you to dispose of tree trunks for your business. He also said he uses larger trunk sizes and forms birdbaths.
    One more thing he said, he uses eucalyptus tree trunks too.

Greg

• _eee
    9 years ago

Greg, what a great idea and I like the looks of them too. Do you suppose the roots of any plants in them would grow into the trunks?
    Dottie

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dottie, thanks for the comp, but I just saw these and wanted to share the news (idea) with my friends here, its such a great idea, I'm sure depending on the plant the roots would enjoy that idea of treading themselves into the trunk, I'm thinking of a Orchid plant I have, I've heard they'll climb tree bark and grow.

Just the other day I asked a tree trimmer to drop off a couple of palm tree trunks at my house so I could use them as a plant stand but HEY! today I just found a new idea.

Greg

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Isn't there a new term these days, like 'upcycle' or repurpose.
    A great way to get "all natural" planters. Some people come
    up with truly great ideas.
    Note to self, "tell DH to be on the look out for downed trees'
    He'll just love adding to our collection of stuff.
    Karen

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

They look fantastic, trouble is there's not many palms here in the UK and my 14 haven't got trunks that big...yet, lol...and if they had, I'd be loathe to give 'em the chop! I did however make a giant chainsaw toadstool out of a pine tree we felled :) Great idea to recycle those palm trunks like that, the leaf scars give a real good look, brilliant idea.

Gill UK

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture of some of his work.

Karen, I agree and wither its up cycle 0r down cycle ( since he did chop the trees down. ) it's a great idea. I was going to use palm stumps the other day for a plant stand but HEY now I have a new idea ðÂÂÂ

Gil, maybe you can cut your neighbors tree lol... jk of course ð¦
    He did mention that he uses other types of trees too so maybe you can use a eucalyptus tree 0r some other type of trees.
    I told him I was giving him a "10 " for the most original idea at the Fall Boutique, thats where I ran into him at today, I went with my wife today .
    When I first saw it I was like omg this is awesome and then to top it off they had cactus in them. My mind started running in all kinds of directions thinking boy! Some succulents would sure look nice up in here ðÂÂÂ

He also lives here in Corona and he invited me over to see some more of his work so ill be sharing more pictures soon.

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I like those Greg,what a good way to recycle,reuse.I use tree trunks and/or parts of them for plant stands,some of mine i know are over 20 plus years old.
    Kathi

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Greg!
    Does this fellow sell his pots by mail order? They are stunning and would make any plant look good.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kathy, I was right about to get a couple of palm tree trunk stumps to use as plant stands that also look very nice too, but now after seeing this idea I was like oh yeah! ðÂÂÂ
    There are so many things you can do with this recycling idea.

Seedð²
    I'm going to hook up with him during the week and I'll get back with you on that, im sure he would not have a problem with that. I'm going to be going there to see some other things he does and I plan on taking pictures.

Greg

• paul_
    9 years ago

Those are sweet! Wonder how long they will last before breaking down?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Greg - how is the drainage on these palm pots? Do you have to drill some holes? Here's why I'm asking ...

The Christmas palm that the arrow is pointing out has been puny for a the last 6 months. No fertilizer, water has helped. An arborist and botanist told me that the 2 back trees were sucking all the nutrients. Hubby called tonight to tell me the top of the tree snapped off. So I'm thinking about trying to make a pot from the stump. The bottom is larger and it might look nice. I was thinking of leaving the stump in the ground as it is now.

Thoughts?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Duh - I just reread your first post and noticed he drills drain holes! But I still wonder about leaving the stump in the ground and scooping it out for a pot.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Those are fabulous. Must be kinda pricey, though?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Very nice pots. Palm trees do grow old and they need to come down. Better as pots than in the landfill.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Crenda and the gang, I am thinking of making some of these myself, I'm pretty sure these stumps will last yearsssss... The guy told me he's had some over 10 years and no sign of wearing out, I think we can say they are tough enough for the job lol ðÂÂÂ

I think you could leave it in the ground & drill holes coning out of the side and it would be around for a long time.

Sugi, the prices were not that bad as tou can see some price tags on some of them including the plant was like $30. - $40. U.S DOLLARS.

Wantonamara, definitely better than the landfills and they said a lot of character.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I think I can do this, and just down the street from me they were cutting down some palm trees and they were glad to drop off a few of them at my house.

Updates coming soon.

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Oo, I can't wait to see your updates!

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

How is your project coming along, Greg?

I took the plunge and scooped out my stump. It's not pretty, but I'll see how it goes. I filled it with gritty mix and some clippings and pups that I had on hand.

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Crenda,
    How lovely!

PLEASE-- Will somebody on this list start selling these? The holidays are upon us and I can't think of a better gift to give or receive.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Crenda, nice colors!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!