Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Lifesaver: the last flower of the season?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

So the first of my newly acquired Huernia buds opened yesterday, luckily again I caught most of it in action! And yup, sure enough it is a H. zebrina :D

{{gwi:639585}}

{{gwi:639586}}

{{gwi:639587}}

Night Time
{{gwi:639588}}

And here's how it looks today, a bit more relaxed
{{gwi:639589}}

Two more buds to go, hopefully they'll flower nicely too :) After this I'm not sure if I'll see anymore flowers, it's getting real cold here. The key lime pie stalk is tall as ever, maybe that will go off sometime soon too. Other than that I only have some hope of bloom in my baby toes, tiger jaws, and MAYBE the Lithops.

Speaking of the Lithops, these funny stones are doing much better! Finally taking water nicely, after the last watering they all plumped up and looking good!
{{gwi:632553}}

Comments (12)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

I love chubby leaved plants. Great looking plants!

• chuy415
    9 years ago

wow... amazing bloom!!! isn't it so neat that you can capture it right before it fully opens? :)

Chuy

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yeah I knew that it was close to bloom and saw it the night before that it started to open up so I geared up in the morning haha

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flower #2 opened
    {{gwi:639590}}

{{gwi:639591}}
    As the first flower finishes up its work and goes to sleep at the back..

AND.. finally key lime pie in action!
    {{gwi:639592}}

The Senecio is blooming for the 2nd and 3rd time... after the first bloom already turned into dandelion-seed lookalikes

{{gwi:639593}}

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 17:23

• paul_
    9 years ago

I wouldn't count zebrina out yet. Mine blooms intermittently year-round.

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Mine threw two flowers at the same time a week ago, its going nuts. Although it was my first summer with this guy, I have a feeling he will flower year round if given the right conditions.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh good to hear! I'm not very familiar with succulent bloom times yet, but I think most of them only flower once a year. That's exciting to know that I can keep showing off these crazy flowers :P

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flower #3, and seems like #4 is in the works, dunno if it will survive though, these flowers are certainly pulling lots of energy from this tiny plant. I hope the fertilizing helped.

{{gwi:639594}}

{{gwi:639595}}

{{gwi:639596}}

• saj_2002
    9 years ago

lovely looking plants - please share some more photos of your collection..

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the bump saj ;)

The last flower opened last week and now is gone too, I'm very glad though with this little plant I got 4 flowers just the first year, and one after another too, so it lasted a whole 2 months and a half! Look forward to what it will bring next year! (or maybe sooner since people mentioned that they flower more than once in a year sometimes)

And yes I'm planning to post a thread of my first year with succulents~ maybe towards the end of the month :)

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 22:06

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David

It may flower for you again.
    I had first bloom on mine in June 2014; since it had already 9 opened (last one just fell off) but there is another large bud soon to open & tiny 'thing' that may be another bud. At one point it had 3 blooms opened. I didn't expect so many either - nice surprise.
    I can't remember fertilizing it (but maybe I did some).

Rina