Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie to the forum with new hobby: "fat plants"

Posted by Juan_JImenez_V none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:19

Hello, I am new to forum.
I have been collecting cactus for a couple of years but after visiting the 2013 intercity cactus and succulent show in Arcadia California for the first time, I got very interested in the caudiciform plants or fat plants, actually I had a couple of them before the show,
see you around.
Juan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie to the forum with new hobby: "fat plants"

Post some photos! I'm another caudex connoisseur

o

nice plant, here are some of mine,
1st, one of my Adenias Glauca in 8 inch pot

o

here is a picture of Adenia Glauca fruits,
they look delicious. My 3 kids know that they are poisonous.
I will post more pictures of my other fat plats later when I take pictures.

o

ok, here is one of my 4 cyphstemma juttae, actually my favorite one.

o

a bunch of babies.

o

one from my wish list, adenia spinosa

o

cissus tuberosa in 8 inch pot, this one is mine.

o

Very nice, Juan!

o

Fat plants............they're grrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaatttttt.

o

Wow I love all those fat plants. Is their a particular name for those? I know the ponytail palms are actually succulents. I love those. Is there a name for this group of tree looking succulents that have bulbs on the bottom where they 'retain their water?

o

Fat plants = Caudex forming plant. They can be a xeric shrub, succulents, A xeric tree, or vine. Many are considered succulents since they store water in their caudex's . There are many Many families. We just call them all Fat Plants. I don't care if they are not all true succulents ( I know nothing about the science here). I want to keep talking about them on this form so don't get no movement going to take them somewhere else! Some fat plants ( The adenums have been taken away to their own forum).

o

Thankyou. I love Fat Plants or Caudex plants as well. I just didnd't know the name. What are some that are easy to grow in dry succulent climates similar to ponytail palms?

o

miki,

Pachycaul is also often used. For an answer to your most recent question, you should be able to find Cyphostemma juttae easily and grow it in SouCal - it's a great beginner plant. Here's mine, in addition to the one already pictured.

photo Cyphos004.jpg

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 21:01

o

Very cool plant the Cyphostemma juttae. I was wondering if Cyphostemma juttae, pony tail palms, or other caudex have invasive root systems for plumbing or foundation/sidewalks?

I'm thinking of planting a pony tail palm pretty close to my sidewalk. Do caudex' have tap roots, or invasive roots...wait a sec are tap roots invasive? I have so many questions lol

This post was edited by yorkiemiki on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:36

o

m,

No, they don't. While a mature plant would have a myriad of roots, they're compacted into a small, not-long area, more like a mat of roots, that even for a 4'-wide specimen of Beaucarnea recurvata, would be thick but not long.

o

Awesome thanks for the info. I will plant a few outside in the little strip between the sidewalk and street :)

o

Gotta love some baobabs! I've decided to finally start trimming back one of my older ones to get some branching, so far it just makes a single new growing tip instead of bifurcating. The leaves are actually quite delicious, almost like a sweat pea.

o

I bought some baobab jelly that was pretty good. Do you have pictures to share of your littler tree?

o

Here are some photos from a few months ago when I was potting up my taller baobab. This one hasn't been chopped at all. I have one shorter one and several seedlings.

BTW, it seems like there isn't an easy way to link to google+ photos.... I had to write in the html code! What is this 1995!!!?

o

I really like the taste of the baobab fruit--tangy and slightly sweet. Unfortunately I only get my hands on some when I'm traveling to far away places. I maintain a list of baobab locations just in case I am nearby so I can check them out. I believe there is one in the arboretum in Arcadia (Adansonia rubrostipa) and one near Indio at the Living Desert (zoo?) but I don't know which species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here