Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juan_jimenez_v

newbie to the forum with new hobby: "fat plants"

Juan_JImenez_V
10 years ago

Hello, I am new to forum.
I have been collecting cactus for a couple of years but after visiting the 2013 intercity cactus and succulent show in Arcadia California for the first time, I got very interested in the caudiciform plants or fat plants, actually I had a couple of them before the show,
see you around.
Juan

Comments (20)

• caudex1
    10 years ago

Post some photos! I'm another caudex connoisseur

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nice plant, here are some of mine,
    1st, one of my Adenias Glauca in 8 inch pot

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a picture of Adenia Glauca fruits,
    they look delicious. My 3 kids know that they are poisonous.
    I will post more pictures of my other fat plats later when I take pictures.

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, here is one of my 4 cyphstemma juttae, actually my favorite one.

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a bunch of babies.

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one from my wish list, adenia spinosa

• Juan_JImenez_V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cissus tuberosa in 8 inch pot, this one is mine.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Very nice, Juan!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Fat plants............they're grrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaatttttt.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Wow I love all those fat plants. Is their a particular name for those? I know the ponytail palms are actually succulents. I love those. Is there a name for this group of tree looking succulents that have bulbs on the bottom where they 'retain their water?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Fat plants = Caudex forming plant. They can be a xeric shrub, succulents, A xeric tree, or vine. Many are considered succulents since they store water in their caudex's . There are many Many families. We just call them all Fat Plants. I don't care if they are not all true succulents ( I know nothing about the science here). I want to keep talking about them on this form so don't get no movement going to take them somewhere else! Some fat plants ( The adenums have been taken away to their own forum).

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Thankyou. I love Fat Plants or Caudex plants as well. I just didnd't know the name. What are some that are easy to grow in dry succulent climates similar to ponytail palms?

10 years ago

miki,

Pachycaul is also often used. For an answer to your most recent question, you should be able to find Cyphostemma juttae easily and grow it in SouCal - it's a great beginner plant. Here's mine, in addition to the one already pictured.

{{gwi:640006}}

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 21:01

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Very cool plant the Cyphostemma juttae. I was wondering if Cyphostemma juttae, pony tail palms, or other caudex have invasive root systems for plumbing or foundation/sidewalks?

I'm thinking of planting a pony tail palm pretty close to my sidewalk. Do caudex' have tap roots, or invasive roots...wait a sec are tap roots invasive? I have so many questions lol

This post was edited by yorkiemiki on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:36

10 years ago

m,

No, they don't. While a mature plant would have a myriad of roots, they're compacted into a small, not-long area, more like a mat of roots, that even for a 4'-wide specimen of Beaucarnea recurvata, would be thick but not long.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Awesome thanks for the info. I will plant a few outside in the little strip between the sidewalk and street :)

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

Gotta love some baobabs! I've decided to finally start trimming back one of my older ones to get some branching, so far it just makes a single new growing tip instead of bifurcating. The leaves are actually quite delicious, almost like a sweat pea.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I bought some baobab jelly that was pretty good. Do you have pictures to share of your littler tree?

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

Here are some photos from a few months ago when I was potting up my taller baobab. This one hasn't been chopped at all. I have one shorter one and several seedlings.

BTW, it seems like there isn't an easy way to link to google+ photos.... I had to write in the html code! What is this 1995!!!?
    {{gwi:640007}}

{{gwi:640008}}

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

I really like the taste of the baobab fruit--tangy and slightly sweet. Unfortunately I only get my hands on some when I'm traveling to far away places. I maintain a list of baobab locations just in case I am nearby so I can check them out. I believe there is one in the arboretum in Arcadia (Adansonia rubrostipa) and one near Indio at the Living Desert (zoo?) but I don't know which species.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio