Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Should I go up a size on this Jade?

puglvr1
10 years ago

Hi everyone, Its probably been at least 2 years since I potted this Jade...I was wondering if you guys think I should go slightly larger on the pot or maybe remove the old mix and add some fresh potting mix and keep it in the same pot?

The trunk has grown and thicken very nicely...

Comments (16)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the whole Jade...

• adorablurr
    10 years ago

Has it stopped growing? I've heard the rule of thumb is to repot when it doesn't seem like it's growing anymore and the plant's roots fill the entire pot. (Are there some coming out of the drainage hole in the bottom?)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy! So good to see you:-)

I would go up to loosen the mix around the roots so you won't get dry spots and then all of a sudden loose your beautiful plant..

You'd be surprise how much of the root ball does not get moist even though the water runs through it fast...
    To make sure..I would water well like you always do, and then lift the plant from the pot to see if the whole root ball is moist. You might be surprised and see the the center is still dry..

If the whole root ball is wet and my feelings are proven wrong about the dry spots, the you could also take it out,
    cut back the root ball, loosen the mix, freshen it up and trim the top...Sort of a Bonsai thing:-)

Mikey

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 21:02

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello, friends! :-)

Nancy, I was just at a good friend's house, and his Jade recently cracked its clay pot! I gave him the plant as a thick cutting and he has watered and fertilized faithfully (fish emulsion, of all things...) over the past couple years. The Jade is huge and getting bigger. So...if you want even more growth, go up a size. And, as Mike says, you might as well have a look at the root-ball and make sure things are still kosher.

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for all your help and advise...

Mike and Josh, I think I will take a peek today and check the roots (its been a while) and we had a TON of rain in the month of July.. 20 inches to be exact!! It iss outside 360+ days a year...though its right up against the wall. I know it still got a lot of rain.

Thanks again!!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy,

You can do either, depending on your whim. I've got plants I like to keep in pots they're suited to, so for some I whittle away half the rootball, give them fresh soil and pop them back into their former pot. You can also do this to great effect if you want to keep a plant small / stunted (I'm thinking of Keith's plants and pots). For others, a definite upsizing is needed, and I cut away less of the rootball before putting them into the fresh soil and new pot.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay...decided to take your advise and check the roots...looks like it could totally use a freshening up,lol...lots of roots and has definitely filled the pot. Glad I asked for advise, thanks for the help!

I'll trim the roots a little bit and give it some fresh potting mix!

Now I have to find a slightly bigger pot...wouldn't one of Caudex's pot look awesome with this Jade?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jeff!! Sorry I must have been responding to this post and didn't see you posted until I submitted mine,lol...

Thanks for your advise and help as well :o)...its funny we had the same idea about the pot (I'm guessing Keith) is Caudex?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trimmed some of the roots off and remove a little of the old soil too...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Added some fresh potting mix and put it in a slightly bigger pot (selection of pots in my small town) is terrible :o(...Slim pickings!

10 years ago

Yes, the Jade was root-bound! :-)
    Great work, Nancy, I think the new pot is perfect for the next year or two...until you can get one of Keith/Caudex's pots, hehehe ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes, fantastic work!!!!!

Hello Josh and Nancy...By the way Josh, I left you a message last night...

Have a great night and Nancy, it looks great!

Hey, you even have more room for an extra golf ball and another people..Ha

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 11:41

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh and Mike :o)

Mike, there's almost room for a 9 hole golf game in there, haha!!

Now, if only Keith(Caudex) sells some of his awesome pots!!

10 years ago

Maybe he has something for you.... ;-)

Pottery by Kitoi

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link Josh... I can only dream I'm afraid. A little out of my budget lol...but Wow!! Some absolutely beautiful pots there!!!

10 years ago

Yeah, I like window-shopping, too.
    A bit out of my budget...although I've certainly spent more on large pots for house-warming gifts. Most of the pots I really like are marked "sold," so I'd have to special order anyhow ;-)

Josh

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone