Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Jades of September....

Greetings!
This season the Jades are setting earlier than ever before, and I am quite pleased. The weather has been wonderful this September, with periods of rain and Autumn warmth. After a blazing Summer, the color of the Crassula is finally improving. Two Jades are setting buds...but this first pot of cuttings from a GardenWeb friend is blooming for the first time!

{{gwi:640197}}

{{gwi:640198}}

{{gwi:640199}}

This Jade was sent to me in March of 2010 by another GardenWeb member, John from Oregon, and it has bloomed reliably the past four seasons...I sent a piece to Meyer Mike, and I wonder if his is blooming yet. I sure hope so!

{{gwi:640200}}

{{gwi:640201}}

Although my Sunset Jade isn't blooming, what Jade Thread would be complete without a shot of the 'Hummel's Sunset'? Next season, I must trim this one down to get it into a bushy habit...maybe a solo potting, as well.

{{gwi:640202}}

Oh, and an update on the 'Gollum' and the Crassula ovata obliqua that I pruned earlier this season. First the 'Gollum' - my favorite 'Gollum' bonsai.

{{gwi:640203}}

And the oblique leaf Jade...so much easier to manage in this state of trim. It will sit happily near to the window, receiving good light this Winter. A successful whack :-)

{{gwi:640204}}

Josh

Comments (42)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oh maqn Josh!

They look so healthy, pretine and just down right awesome...
    I love the looks of all those rain drops to top it off..Just goes to show you that how happy they are in your mixes and with your care..

Flowers already? You have got to be kidding me...lol
    I have not even looked for any on mine yet..Maybe I should..
    All I do is quickly water them lifting up my kitchen window on the sunny side of the house, close the window and walk away..
    I hardly even see them all summer.I think it's time to take a closer look...
    I really should enjoy the colors on mine too..Just been so busy these days..
    At least I forgot to water these days with lows in the low 40's and even 30's once...
    They look healthy..
    Once I check them out when I get home from work I will let you know pal..

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike!
    I look forward to seeing a few of yours...I know you always get some excellent color and growth during the Summer and Fall. Happy bud hunting :-) Oh, and here's another one from you...a big 'Hobbit.'

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Looks great! I really need to move further south so I can grow plants like yours. I'm really digging the mother/daughter combo in the last picture.

Rob

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rob! It is nice to be able to leave these Jades out well into October.
    I'm partial to the mother/daughter 'Hobbit' as well...I had to trim the daughter down to keep her in proportion. I need to prune quite a few of my Jades...

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Josh!!!!

Nothing, Nada, Zippo, Blah!!!

I even used a microscope and saw not a one stinking bud..
    What the heck are you doing that I am not? lol
    They have not come in at all and have been exposed to the elements just like yours! Cold nights, much shorter days, on the dry side, and the nice warm sun....

Mike:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Josh...Here they are...NOt a darn bud and boy have the nights been cold!! And dark very early..

{{gwi:640205}}

A couple more for color..The Mother plants...

{{gwi:640206}}

{{gwi:640207}}

{{gwi:640208}}

One I am trying to root for you;;_)

{{gwi:640209}}

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

Hej Josh,

looks like if you were very lucky with your obliqua. As far as i can judge from the picture it seems if there have developed a branch with centre variegated leaves ... when this sport should be stable you get the "Solana"-cultivar that right know is almost only destributed in Russia and some other eastern countries.

Nice pictures.

Best regards, Ben

• hijole
    10 years ago

Awesome show Josh! they look very healthy & happy in your care. I've learned to appreciate them since they grow like weeds here calif. Keep up the good care.

Greg

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful Jades Josh and Mike!! I can't believe Josh you are getting buds already...we haven't had anything colder than 70 degrees at night,lol...I won't be seeing the pretty colors for at least 12 weeks haha...that's the down side living in FL. Our winter weather won't be here for at least 8 more weeks :o( and believe me when I tell you I'm ready for some cooler weather...not necessarily "colder" weather!

Thanks for posting the gorgeous Jades you guys!! Love them all!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Very nice, as usual, Josh. Nice colors on nicely grown plants and a reliable bloomer to boot.
    Mike those are some sweet plant as well.

Thanks.

tj

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much, Mike, Ben, Greg, Nancy, and tj!
    Mike, those mother plants are incredibly lush...I hope to show you some better growth on mine by next season.

Ben, I bought the obliqua in the pure green form, but it seems to be putting out white-variegated leaves. I will have to revisit 'Solana' - I don't think this is it, but I would like to have 'Solana' of course.

Thanks, Nancy! Can't wait to see all of your Jades when they finally color up...and bloom ;-)

Josh

• americangolden
    10 years ago

All your Jade plants look great! Nice color and healthy growth.

Very neat that you have flower buds already. Keep us updated with pictures. I did the same thing as Mike and looked at all of my plants to find not a single bud =).

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

All I can say is, "WOW!"

The plants are beautiful! And to see the flower buds...OMG!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, American (Josh?) and Camellia!
    I'll surely provide updates as we move into the bloom. With nights in the 40F's now, it won't be long before the plants are back indoors. As usual, I didn't re-pot the plants I meant to re-pot...and I didn't fertilize frequently enough to pack on the growth...but there's always next year!

And just for good measure, here's a NON-Jade ;-) Standard Portulacaria afra, which grows every which way but the way I want it to grow. I've hacked off feet of this plant, but it likes to grow up. It's gettin' hacked low next time!

Josh

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Nice plant, it must be the gritty mix I've been seeing. (I'll have to look for the post on the ingredients by Al.)

Thanks for clearing that up about the plant because when I was at a nursery and couldn't find anything, the staff asked if I had seen the "red stem jade."

I was excited when I heard her question. Of course, it was this plant and I didn't think it was a jade. The plant she had was growing down than upright.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello!

Yes, the Portulacaria afra is often sold as Jade or Mini Jade, Dwarf Jade or Baby Jade. I have some variegated Port. afras that have a droopy trailing habit, as well.

Today's pic is of my first Jade, my Mother Jade as I call it. Started as a skinny cutting, grew big, then I left it in the cold and it froze back to a stump. Here she is now.

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Correction to my earlier post.

I found flower buds on my large Jade plant =)! They are setting in early this year.

{{gwi:551508}}

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats! That is so exciting!

I'm hoping I will be lucky and have flowers, too. I've had my jade for 10 years. It's never flowered but maybe you all will bring me luck this year! I need it...been a tough one.

(I've never been good with fertilizing and am looking forward to next growing season - seen some amazing results on here.)

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

hej Josh,

this is a pic of my "Solana" that i once found as a sport on a big Tricolor. Compared with pictures of the original Solana the variegation is really weak ... i hope that one day a site branch with more white developes, that i than can use as a starter for a new plant. I think it is the same as with the classical Tricolor ... you can get entire green or white leaves and always have to look for a good balance. However Iôm happy that i at least have a centre variegated obliqua, as up to know it was impossible for me to import the "real" one from Russia.

{{gwi:640210}}

Could you maybe make a close up of your plant? I think at least one of the branches is more heavily variegated. I looked at some older picture of you and i think also in these pictures your obliqua had some white lines inside the leaves.

Also cactusmcharris once had some obliqua cuttings with good centre variegation ... unfortunatelly when he sent them to a friend in Germany in early spring they died on their way due to frost.

Best regards,
    Ben

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ben!
    I'm always happy to oblige requests for additional images. You have a good eye and a good memory... yes, indeed, white variegated leaves have appeared on this plant before. I selected this obliqua from an entire flat of these plants, and I selected the most green-leafed of the lot. Now that I look more closely, many of these new leaves are exhibiting this trait. I have taken two images, and I look forward to your feedback.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

And a more detailed shot of the leaves...

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,
    thank you for the close-up pictures. I think especially the right branch in the last picture is very promising. It shows a very good centre variegation. I would leave it on the plant for now and when it is big enough use it as a new starter. Some of the other branches also have potential ... the degree of variegation is comparable to my plant ... so not that strong. Maybe you are lucky and the next leaf pairs will show an improvement.

Hope the strong variegation in the right branch will be stable and that you maybe one day can share some offset with us :)

All the best,
    Ben

Original Author
    10 years ago

Although we're now deep into October, I thought I'd update here instead of starting a new Thread. Ben, thanks for the comments, as they're quite appreciated. I will now label my oblique Jade as the variegata rather than the standard green form.

As for the bloomers...the first year bloomer....

Original Author
    10 years ago

And the fourth year bloomer....

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Looks like a lot of flower buds for your fourth year bloomer!

How old is the plant? Just curious due to the size and that it has bloomed for four years.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Nice, what type of jade is it?

Pretty cool that it has bloomed at a small specimen for you!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Nice Josh!! Congrats on your blooms, quite a lot for such a small plant :o)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello!

Yes, a nice thick flower stalk this year! I'm not sure what the exact cultivar might be, but it's certainly just a minor variation of Crassula ovata. As I recall, the mother was a prolific bloomer with a sleek grey trunk with branches that developed a strong pinkish hue - the leaves are slightly smaller and rounder on average, but not compact. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have access to my dated images, but I'm fairly sure I received these cuttings in Spring of 2010. Three years and four blooms that would make it.

I've grown this plant in a small pot in a mix of red and grey scoria (lava rock) with little water and little nutrition, which is the reason for its stunted growth. Barely more than 5 inches tall.

Josh

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Josh, do you break up the lava rocks or buy them already in small pieces? I saw lava rocks for sale but they were the big ones for outside landscaping.

I'm working on getting the ingredients for the mix but am having a hard time. I can't even find NAPA floor dry around here. The auto stores have the oil absorber but not that brand.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Josh,
    What kind of time is it from buds to blooms? I'm patiently waiting on the one that has buds.

Camellia,
    Use this link to find a NAPA store near you.
    http://www.napaonline.com/FindLocation/find-a-location.aspx

Call the ones around you, and make sure it's floor dry part #8822.

Rob

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Camellia, I buy the lava rock in small bags at a local nursery. E.B. Stone brand. Here's a pic of the red and grey in a pot.

Rob, my Jades take a month and a half from bud to bloom :-)

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view...I see there's some coarse Perlite in the mix of lava rock (scoria).

Original Author
    10 years ago

A bit late to the party, but it appears there'll be blooms on Crassula ovata 'Denethor' again this year! Another reliable bloomer. A great find by Glen. Thanks for this one, Mike and Glen :-)

• marquest
    10 years ago

{{gwi:640212}}

{{gwi:472758}}

{{gwi:105184}}

{{gwi:105181}}

{{gwi:105183}}

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh! I bought a bag of soil conditioner since I can't find the bark. I hope that's okay. It might be easier for me to do the scoria and perlite as those are available around here, although I might have to get a hammer to break up the scoria...could be a good stress reliever...LOL!

Marquest, your plants look great!

Hong

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Hong, for a small batch, you could use a hammer. These tiny pots don't take much to fill. Post some pics when you're ready, and I'm sure there are a bunch of us who'll advise on the texture of the mix and the ratios of the ingredients.

Marquest, is that first long skinny guy a variegated 'Crosby's Compact'? Sure look cool!

Josh

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

Hi,

its funny that also the last time when this variegated Crosbys compact like jade was shown almost 2 years ago the thread ended without any answer ...

If this should really be a variegated form of the small leaf jade it would be something very special. Crosby`s compact is on the marked for a very long time and widely destributed, however until now and as far as i know there never developed a variegated sport. Normally thats just a question of chance. For most of the leaf-forms of jade trees there already exsist variegated cultivars, even for the more seldom cultivated Crassula arborescens.

Maybe marquest could make another picture of this plant together with a normal Jade, so that the leaf size gets comparable. From the picture it is hard to say if this is really a small leaf variant. If yes, it would be a little sensation in the jade lovers world.

regards,
    Ben

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0115061616761.html

• marquest
    10 years ago

I brought everything in but we are getting a warm up and I will take another pic.tomorrow for you. It is the same size.

I think it may have sported from the crosby because I have one and I break pieces off and put it in different pots.

Sensation I do not think so. Just a jade that has been abused. lol

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

hi marquest,
    thanks for the info. Looking forward to see the pic.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, please post! :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Had to bring 'em in last night...
    now I just need to re-organize the window-sills. The past week has brought on some strong color in the Finger Jades especially.

Original Author
    10 years ago

As promised, Jade flower update :-)
    From bud to bloom, this one only took about a month (I actually missed taking a picture of the first bloom earlier this week - too dark when I had to leave the house for work). I love the red flower stalk and the pink flowers.

Josh