Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Stupid fake flower glued onto cactus

chaparralgirl
11 years ago

So. I got myself another Cereus peruvianus monstrose cv. recently because the one I have isn't looking so happy (it's outside). This one I picked out specifically because it had one of those ridiculous straw flowers glued onto it. I was going to take a picture and post it here, because really?? A fake flower on a C. pervianus?? But that was during my "No, I have to refrain from going to the forum so I can focus on getting my schoolwork done" thing. I've already taken the flower off, because I just couldn't stand it any longer.

I did, however, write to the supplier to ask them why, in God's green earth, do they keep doing that? I got a response. I present to you the e-mail thread:

Dear [supplier],

I LOVE your cacti and succulents! I get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, various mom-&pop places, just about everywhere. (I have a bit of a fetish for cacti and succulents.) I have to ask, though - why, oh why, do you glue those ridiculous straw flowers onto some of your cacti? I've seen them on cacti that don't even produce those types of flowers. More than that, regardless of the genus or species, gluing anything onto a plant is going to damage it - if not in the gluing process, then when the consumer recognizes that it's fake and tries to pull it off. Have you found that the fake flowers derive better sales? This year, I've been actively involved in an online forum for cacti and succulent lovers from around the world; we all agree, the fake flowers look ridiculous, and damage the plants. Would you possibly consider stopping this practice?

(Beyond this, as I said initially, I LOVE your cacti and succulents.)

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

You hit the nail on the head! Our "big box" store customers require us to do it because the ones with the fake flowers sell 3 to 1 over the others. We don't like doing it either but the customer gets what the customer wants. I think that primarily the people who buy those are not "plant people" and don't know a potato from a petunia, but just want something cutsie and decorative. You're right, they look ridiculous compared to what they should be. I'm glad that we are also able to send into the stores "unflowered ones" also so they are available to real plant aficionados like yourself.

[Supplier]

Just figured I'd share with everyone, since it seems to be a recurring topic of discussion. It's really too bad. But I've helped to show a few folks "the light," so to speak. When I point out that the flower is fake, and glued on, they invariably respond with surprise and disgust. So, little by little, consumers are becoming aware. :)

*CG*

Comments (21)

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

I was just going to send a post asking how to remove them without damaging the plant. I got carried away the other day and bought several cacti and succulents to make dish gardens. The flower came off easily on one, but not on the others. Thanks for your posting.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Nice comment from the provider

I've even wasted time sending them comments that aim for the stars with the soil they use let alone a moon hit fake flower.

Best marketing tool for any big box store or mass produce company of the easy ticket items is they know that only one in three customers has realistic ideas and know what they're buying.

It's the remaining two unaware customers who dont care what they get for a frivolous dollar or two also the reason why the fake flower/ sub standard soil and potting/glued rocks wont end.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I think a lot of customers are appalled when informed the flower isn't real. I know those I've spoken to have been. Except for my 86-year-old grandmother who would rather have a "flower" there year-round to look at. Those are those who like plants and those who like plants as decorations.

I was fortunate in that the four cacti my mother bought from, what was it, Fred Meyer, a few years ago I was able to get the flower off with not much trouble and without creating damage. The straw flowers were glued in a miraculously pitiful way and could be removed easy. This summer they've bloomed with real flowers for the first time.

I love that monstrose form. Dang, why do we not have these forms around here at the big box stores.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrLike: OMG, I had all but forgotten about the glued rocks! I HATE it when they do that!

Teatree: I wish we got your weather down here. :P

*CG*

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Glufers, be they flower or top dressing, while not right there with THE WORST THINGS IN THE WORLD, are, as we know, quite horrendous in their own little fief. I'd like to sic the bunko squad on them, as there's no noting on the product that the flower on it isn't the actual flower. There ought to be a law...

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

I have really gotten hooked on making the dish gardens. I really tugged at the red flower and it didn't budge. Here is a photo. I haven't tried the orange/gold flower yet. I thought I might wait and see if they naturally loosen a bit.

• nil13
    11 years ago

It seems like most people only buy plants in flower regardless as to whether it is appropriate.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Yes, perhaps, but there's something to be said for inappropriate purchases.

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

They are actually dried Straw Flowers, (Helichrysum), which I hate also.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I found this along side nail polish remover at some podunk 5 & dime on the way to the beach. No light, no nothing, just pushed back on a shelf. There were 5 fake flowers stuck onto this poor plant! Thankfully they weren't attached with glue but with that sticky silicon stuff so they weren't too difficult to remove. The plant has done well and colored up nicely since it's been exposed to some light.
    {{gwi:640270}}

{{gwi:640271}}

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Great find Karyn. I love to rescue plants too.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Karyn, gorgeous plant do you/anyone know which one it is?

Annette

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I believe it's Euphorbia lactea 'Rainbow Crest'. I also have a green/white variegated E. lactea "cristata". They are both grafted onto other euphorbias.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karyn: WOW, that's gorgeous! I love the cristata forms! Not much a fan of the whole grafting bit, but the cristatas are just glorious!

Perle: Ohhhhh, you have Baby Toes and Lola! *pout* Those are two that I lost this summer. The Baby Toes was a frustration, because this is the second time I've lost this species; but losing Lola just broke my heart.

And you have a Royal Flush, too! Something seems to be eating away at my Pleiospilos.

{{gwi:640272}}

I'm very diligent at keeping water off of the leaves, so I don't know what's causing this. There's a little bit on the underside of one of the leaves on the other plant as well. And, believe it or not, the smaller plant is actually a 'Royal Flush.' It seems to have lost a lot of its color.

*CG*

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

I bought a very large Peruvian cactus with the long hairy looking sides some people call them old man or old man with a beard....any way this company owes me a cactus it had about a half a tube of hot glue and when I tried to carefully take it off it was pulling to much of the fine "hair" so I had to cut it off thus leaving it with a hole and cause a rot. I am not happy with those flowers and if they get wet they stain some of the cacti...but back to my old man he is rotting and I am afraid it is not going to scab over I had him in the half sun for drying purposes but he's afraid to far gone. so the big box store without a stupid receipt will not accept it back it does not look like a cactus now. OK this company and I will be glad to tell who but only privately they owe me a 19.99 old man cactus.
    Everyone be careful and do take them off if hey get wet they will stain some cactus truly and it is a dye and I do not think its good for the cactus.

• teaclass
    8 years ago

I didn't realize they were fake until I started inspecting them. Was furious with my self for not noticing when I had bought them. I just wanted several varieties of shapes and colors they are beautiful and intresting. HAVE YOU SEEN THEY PAINT THEM TO..oh yes small ones on little cute containers.they are spray painted they call them little gems sometimes jewels. When I noticed I said nope and didn't buy them .

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Good you didn't buy them they should be boycoted!
    There are few threads on this forum about painted succulents...
    You could remove fake flower from mother plant - very carefully.
    Rina

• meganhuston99
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've actually bought one of these cacti from my local Walmart, everyone keeps telling me it's a false plant. But I keep watering it occasionally and it has new growth on it but I'm still not 100% it's real. Any tips ??

• aakajx
    7 years ago

I hate how the do that or spray paint the succulent. I won't buy them. Its funny what does attract some people though.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Spray painted plants are real, but what is the need to paint them is beyond me..

But if you like it, it's your choice. Just don't forget, it may look pretty ugly (if spray paint doesn't already) when/if it keeps growing and real color start showing...

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider