Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devafreya

Prune jade properly from the start

DevaFreya
10 years ago

I have a number of jade plants that I started from leaves. They are various ages/sizes, and some are getting big enough to start thinking about pinching tips, possibly.

How do I go about pruning a jade to make it look the best possible? I've always been reluctant to prune plants very much, but I've recently started seeing the major benefits of proper pruning. (largely thanks to a thread in which Tapla recommended that someone majorly cut back a peperomia.)

I will try to get all my jade plants together and get a picture, to give you an idea of what I'm starting with.
I also have an older jade plant that I air layered and majorly hacked, and I'm hoping to take these lessons and apply them to it, as well.

Comments (6)

• birdguide
    10 years ago

Hi. I just began a succulent collection and am trying to learn as much as possible. One of my new plants is Kalanchoe orygialis i.e. Copper Spoons. From what I understand, this is a winter grower. It currently appears dormant and I have it outside. I live in North Carolina and current night temps are mid 50's. If anyone has experience with this plant and info to pass on regarding water requirements at this time of year, when I can expect it break dormancy etc I would be thankful. I purchased it from Highland Succulents about 6 weeks ago and it is in a 3" pot and about 6 inches tall.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

deva,

This has been discussed nearly ad infinitum. The link below takes you to a post and resulting thread that has some good information. If you search this forum, you'll find a lot more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whack a Jade

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a very helpful thread. I've seen a number of threads about whacking jades, and I find them very helpful and motivating!

My reason for posting this thread, is I was wondering if there is something I should be doing from the start, to a tiny new jade plant, to keep it looking nice and healthy, so that I don't get to a point where it really needs to be whacked at all.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello!
    Yes, be sure to use a coarse, fast-draining soil, and then fertilize your Jade regularly. This will encourage thick, healthy, lush growth. As the Jade increases in height, begin to pinch the tip/s early to allow for branching. Pinch the tip of each branch to cause it to branch/fork in turn, and you will have a beautiful full canopy.

Josh

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to having a nice jade plant! I'm a bit of a wuss about pinching healthy plants, but I suppose I'll just have to take the plunge and go for it. I have a lot of baby jade plants, so that should make it easier to go crazy on at least a few of them.

Is it better to have one jade plant per pot, or is it also ok to have a number of them in the same pot? Is it just a matter of preference? Perhaps I could have some of each look...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It's purely a matter of preference, really.
    With multiple plants in the same pot, the moisture in the mix will be used up sooner...so there is that small benefit. But with a proper mix, you needn't worry so much about the chance of root-rot (the main killer of Jades).

Josh