Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poisonous prickly pear

Posted by ilovecacti_grower 8, GA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 14:55

hi,
i met a few people who have prickly pear cactus, they let me have some and my mom thought i was growing them (which i am (from seeds) and didnt know i planned on eating them i have a couple questions!

1) my mom wants to know if there are any poisonous prickly pears and wont let me eat them unless i KNOW theres no record of poisoning in prickly pear

2) there green (not ripe) will they still taste good?

3) i have one i forgot to peel and "process" can i ripen it some how?

please and thanks for the information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poisonous prickly pear

First off, I am assuming you are talking about the fruits, not the pads, both of which are edible.

1) All fruits of the family Cactaceae are edible, prickly pear included.

2) Unripe prickly pears are pretty unpleasant tasting, very bitter. It is always best to let them get fully ripe while still on the plant though.

3) If it really was green, then no. If they have started to turn red, sometimes they will completely ripen off the plant.

o
RE: poisonous prickly pear

I would add: Don't let the fruit ripen too much, even if it's still on the plant. I've found nasty critters inside a few.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here