Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Rose stem- can I plant or root?

Posted by chuy415 9 O.C. Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 15:03

I received a stem from a friend that just pulled off from her Desert Rose she was given from a nursery she works at. But I tried researching online, not too clear if I can re root it, it has lots of leaves on it, also, when is a good time to do it if its at all possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Rose stem- can I plant or root?

yes you can root it. I'd keep in in indirect sun and not too much water while rooting it. Leave the leaves on but you may lose some. cuttings don't get the fat root/caudex but it can still be a very nice plant.

o

thanks Laura- should I wait a couple weeks before doing so? I just received it yesterday, if so, what mix should I use?

o

chuy415, I plant my desert rose in Miracle gro mix with 25% perlite. Other people has different way of mix, and it also work for them.

o

ltran54,
Perfect!!! that's exactly what I have at home, i'm very new to these succulents!! but thank you for your advice, will wait a few more days for more follow-ups :)

o

Chuy, I plant the cuttings from my DR the same as Marie (1tran54). In the summer, it only took 3 weeks to see the leaves growing from the cuttings. Once you put the cuttings in, water sparingly then don't water until you see a few sets of leaves. They won't have the pretty fat caudex but their roots are just as interesting.

Good luck!

Kuan

o

Kuan,
Thanks for your input, but did you do anything special before planting, and how long do you normally wait before planting?

Chuy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here