Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

A September To Remember : Let's see what's happening in your gard

hijole
9 years ago

What's happening in your garden at this time of the year, I'm in zone 9 in California ðÂÂÂ

As for the temperature today we will be in the high 80's

No work for me today : Happy Labor Day .

Greg

Comments (79)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tneomi, You have done very well in your garden my friend, everything is looking good, and I really like your plant stands, did you buy them or make them?
    They're a nice addition to your landscape .
    The plant in the 1st pic that looks like a fan, can I ask you what that one is it's also & eye catcher ð®

Thanks for sharing,

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL photos. Now I feel guiltyâ¦.We have been HOT and DRY. Not REALLY hot (110) just HOT. We are still just under the triple digits with at least a week of them to go. Still too hot to play in the garden.. I am really busy with my job and I am ignoring my once weekly watering, and my plants are yelling at me and my vegetable garden is dying. I do not have time to put in my normal fall garden. Can I post pictures from last year so I can look good amongst this group? Can I lie about all the nonexistent pretties? I did notice a bloom stalk on my A. karasbegensis while pacing between the two workshops. Well, back to the coal mines. I guess I will pass the bloom stalk again.

Labor Day weekend was spent moving my son out to an apartment 50 miles away.

• tneomi
    9 years ago

this one?
    Yucca rostrata - at least that is whatever was written there and I bought these shelves

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Greg , Whenever I go out, I take at least 100 pix, which I'm squeezing in between other "have to" chores, as does jumping in the forums to post & peruse! :D Processing pix gets shoved to the back burner. We have a half dozen home projects going simultaneously! I'm a one-person crew while hubby is away at work. =)

I haven't worked on my PIG project out front for THREE weeks!! I'm dying to get out there again. Will post a couple pix in a bit. Need coffee 1st! Fingers crossed!

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wantonamara, yes Yes! That's perfectly fine, we just want to see pictures of your garden, today or yesterday even yesteryear.
    I'm waiting for the cooler weather myself but in the meantime it's drinking lot's of water and TRYING to stay in the shade.

Tneomi, yes that's the one thanks. It looks very nice in front of the wall. It is now on my list of plants I want to get.
    And your stands are a good way to utilize space and I would like to get something like that also. Again thanks for Sharing, Shalom.

Rosemarie, I know you are busy but now I also know you are a multitaskerrrrr... wow and then being away from your own personal garden sheesh! You must be going through withdrawls ð² lol...
    Ok, take your time and thanks for the response, and the fingers are crossed ð¤

Greg

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Okaaay...mini showing here (I'll shoot for a thread of my own, so I can add pix of Before & Afters-which gets way too involved)!

Before pic (2001, when we had ZERO animals!) of our front yd. You can see changes in house ~paint, windows, roof, garage door, plants/trees removed, etc. Then, part of project, brick work & fountain in, fill dirt & what it looks like so far (I have a LONG way to go) with some closer of the fountain for you, Greg. (I'll be reworking the fountain-some pot there now of plants that will be added. Advice: Don't use cuttings. Or, not some cuttings & some w/roots. Watering needs are diff.) Added just a few individual plant pix & vignettes.
    Click on a pic for a larger view

{{gwi:641095}}

{{gwi:641096}} {{gwi:641097}}

{{gwi:641098}} {{gwi:641099}}

{{gwi:641100}} {{gwi:641101}}

{{gwi:641102}} {{gwi:641103}}

{{gwi:641104}} {{gwi:641105}}

{{gwi:641106}} {{gwi:641107}}

Now...back to my "other" chores. :D

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Forgot to say Thanks!, Greg for the comp on my FB pic.

Also, I think the plant name you want for Kathi's silvery one w/pink flowers is Kalanchoe pumila.

I hope to get back to make comments on everyone's fabulous plants!

• Pallas_Athena
    9 years ago

SBGibbons- it is an Echeveria "Perle von Nurenburg"--definitely a beautiful, colorful variety. I just purchased and potted it several weeks ago.

Kurok- I love all your little terra cotta pots. Also your soil mixes look really nice.

Tneomi- Great colors everywhere! I love the shelves and the mini gardens.

Rosemariero- What a lovely orange jade-- is it a Hummel's Sunset?

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Omg.... FABULOUS! I'LL be back Also my hands are dirty ð but it goes with the territory.

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg,send me your addy thru this site and i'll send you some of that Kalanchoe,i have lots of it.A piece falls off i pick it up and stick it in the pot.It blooms around april,but it will get some(just a few blooms off and on at other times.

Tneomi,i also love those stands and all your plants.

Rosemarie,yours is looking great so far.

Wantonmara,we'll take whatever we can get,age doesn't matter.

Sbgibbons,and Crenda,like all your plants as well.
    Kathi

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I got this little Agave lopantha 'Quadricolor' last January. As is my usual plan, I have him in a pot to mature and see how it does before PIG. Not sure you can really tell in these pictures, but it has really grown this summer.

Top picture is from early March and showing nice color. The bottom is this past week.

• nil13
    9 years ago

I've got a couple of aloes (the left two that aren't completely cut off) in my bunch that are starting to flower. The rest are doing pretty well too.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Pallas, yes, it is a C. 'Hummel's Sunset'. :)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, that is a very attractive agave , and the color has really brighten up, does it get very big or does it stay small?
    Either way it is very attractive. .

Nil13, what a nice family of aloes you have there with nic3 markings, thanks for sharing.

Thought I'd share a little bit of color .

Greg

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Crenda, yes, nice coloring on your A. 'Quadricolor'. I made the mistake of watering mine too much once PIG (trying to get established), and now it's yellowing...along with another 2 choice Agaves. I have to pay more attention to them & do LESS. Neglect has worked for me so far on the SOS program (Sink Or Swim). :P

Again, jumping in & out. Only a couple things crossed off my list yesterday. Doing horse fencing at the ranch this weekend. Home stuff HAS to get fini B4. I'll be BAaaaack. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Hijole, my propellar plant just finished blooming. I love those blooms. What a gift. Crenda, that agave is a lophantha so it should be able to take your wet summers fine, as long as it has drainage. I think it is bullet proof.

OK, I took the camera out for a walk down the bridge between my shops. It is a short tour of my pots. Yes, they are mostly the same plants as last year, some bigger and some lamentably smaller after our bad winter. I have not acquired many more succulents. I am focussing on natives for my land lately. I think things are starting to break out of summer dormancy here in Texas.

One work project is ready for delivery so I have some time to drink coffee and twiddle away on my keyboard.

BY the way here is the rare Orchid that I found on my land. this last week. I am REALLY excited about this. It is out in the mess behind my shop in the Cedars where I have my kiln bricks stacked. It is lucky guy.

Hexalectris nitida

{{gwi:318115}}

Poney tail Opuntia ( dumb name/ GREAT PLANT)

{{gwi:641108}}

The little guy is Aloe Karasbergensis but the big guy is still un named so if anyone knows that one , please spill the beans.

{{gwi:641110}}

Here is a bigger Aloe karsbergensis doing its thing. I think my baby will have much more interesting coloring. It's mom did not loose her coloring. Personally the little guy might have some A. hererorensis in its bloodline.

{{gwi:641111}}

{{gwi:641113}}

{{gwi:641115}}

{{gwi:641117}}

{{gwi:641118}}

{{gwi:641120}}

{{gwi:641122}}

{{gwi:641124}}

{{gwi:641126}}

Echeveria subrigida

{{gwi:641128}}

Agave 'Live Wire" and Yucca faxoniana

{{gwi:641129}}

A mess of Aloes. I am a sucker for aloes till the first cold front rolls in .

{{gwi:641130}}

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 23:28

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

This post gets better everytime i go back for another look,
    Wantonamara,you have a lot of beauties there,some of which i have never seen before.That's why i love this board,you all are such enablers.

Crenda love those crested euphorbias,i must keep my eyes open for those.

Kuroc,what are those odd shaped plants in picture #6,i love them for the way they grow,do they flower??
    Thanks everyone,guess i should go look thru my pictures and see if i can contribute anything.
    kathi

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

I started from the bottom up & as soon as I got to the fist pic, I KNEW these were your pix, Mara! Fabulous color & contrast (whatever your secret)...and terrific plants...ALL. Thanks for stopping for a few minutes in your busy schedule to share them with us! Congrats on the orchid! Woot!

We got horse fencing finished, so maybe after dog baths tomorrow & can come back & stay for awhile. :D

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

A little OT, but it's in my garden. I found a seed pod on my plumeria. How exciting! Now here's hoping it can stay on the tree to mature.

Mara, what lovely plants! Like you, I am a sucker for aloes, but mine are babies by comparison.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Crenda, You are in great aloe growing country as long as you have drainage. You can do those coastal tree aloes where you are. I have to haul them inside come winter for the bad days.. These were all started from babies. My three foot A. arborescens came to me as a 2" cutting. Barely a rosette. I am amazed it took.

Rosemarie, I admit to taking my images to iPhoto and working on them till they are like I remembered them when I took them and descriptive of the plants. I don't like blown highlights and washes of incorrect blue sunlight. Cameras DO make mistakes and often take the easy way out. The information is in the pixels. One just has to milk them by messing with the iPhoto controls. It is very easy. I spend maybe 2 minutes on a photo. Believe it , or not , After I balanced them and jerked with exposure levels and highlights, shadows and contrast , I DESATURATED the colors.

• kuroc
    9 years ago

Kathi I believe you are talking about my Adenium obesums.
    There is a fourm dedicated to adeniums on this site.
    I have 4 species of adenium here is a list of the ones I have.

Adenium obesum blackfire
    Adenium obesum noid from walmart
    Adenium arabicum dwarf black rcn
    Adenium arabicum shada num1
    Adenium arabicum shada num 2
    Adenium somalense blue boy 1
    Adenium somalense blue boy 2
    Adenium socotranum

Here is a pic of the blackfire when it was blooming.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Haemanthus albiflos

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Testing one two three.

Ok , I figured it out. Or my daughter did. Let me explain what happened, Long story short, My phone has a mind of it's own ð². That's the long story short . I wasn't able to post any comments.

I've really enjoyed all the pictures you've all posted there all fabulous!

Rosemarie, I'm really looking forward to seeing your yard completed, and so far it's looking real good as always. No surprise here.

Wantonamara, omg... what a collection you have there , I would be very tempted walking by your house ð lol.. what was your address again ðÂÂÂ

LilBit, thanks for sharing your pics too , nice ðÂÂÂ

I left the post site so I can't tell who I'm missing but thank you all for sharing your yards with us.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 18:40

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Hijole, Figured what out ???????

Great H. albiflorus.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Al those community pots are inspiring. Greg, wonderful social thread idea. Have really enjoyed seeing everyones plants and set-ups.

rosemariero, the fountains are the best places for a collection.

Someone mentioned adeniums, just received 3 babies. First time attempting to grow them. This entire world of succulents from desert to tropical is so engrossing.

Wantonamara, Love how the succulents spill out of their pots with their own personal charm. I'm arranging my groups to grow this way as well. Can't wait til next year to show my own.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 19:16

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Weird, first Hijole your post only said "testing 1 2 3 and that you or your daughter had figured it out ⦠and nothing after that. NOW your post is appearing⦠strangeness.

Greg, we are a long way off the road. AND being good Texans we shoot first and ask questions later. Even my wind chime is bullet ridden. Just kidding. I gotta keep our reputation going, you know.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its still September and I'm still enjoying all the pictures you've been sharing , let's us see some more. ð²

wantonamara, HOLD IT DONT SHOOT!!! ð¢ I made some adjustments with the help of the edit tab, my goodness girl you're DANGEROUS! LOL... ð KIDDING...

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 19:34

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I am loving all of these pictures! Y'all are giving me some good ideas, too!

Did I mention that I love Aloes? Here's a view of some of them. They're only a couple of years old, but doing well. You can see 7 different Aloes in this picture.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, very nice, there's a lot of detail going on in this picture, I like all the work here, but first the aloes they look very good and healthy the agave looks stunning also, the light green plant really adds to the garden too, Now the details all the rocks I like the way the border is a white trim around the edges. Do you do all this work Crenda? .

If you do it's very good, we'll done.

This little aloe in the picture was a little surprise today, I had picked up a few last year for like 3 for a dollar, it's in a small little pot about the size of a small coffee cup.
    ( not a venti size. )
    Anyway this little aloe has a cute little bloom that I noticed this morning and snapped a picture of it just for my friends on the cacti & succulents. Frim the garden web page.

Does anyone know what type it is, I'm not sure but I'm impressed with the little size and already a bloom. Thanks for the help.

Greg

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

It's about half and half on the rock landscape. When we moved here the island was covered in yews, with a big bird of paridise in front of that chunk of coral, 5 crotons and a border of red COTs. There had apparently been a shefflera in the middle of the bird because it kept coming back. It also had 2 very large coconut palms in each end. Under all of this was some pea gravel on top of a very heavy, construction grade black plastic!

After the palms got hit by lightning, we worked at removing just about everything. Hubby dug up the yews and COTs (which he hated). We had to dig up the bird to get the schefflera out, so we got rid of about 2/3 of it. All my neighbors now have birds! LOL I took my time while Charlie was working on the road - got rid of the crotons, pulled back and removed the plastic and I added a lot of grit to the sandy soil. Built up some areas and added the larger rock borders and brought in a ton more river rock. Still a work in progress, but I am enjoying it!

Your little Aloe looks a lot like my Aloe 'Firebird' (decoingsii x thompsoniae), but the leaves on mine are a little curly. I don't have a picture of it blooming, but the flowers are a pretty orange. Yours may be a similar hybrid, and that name is what came on the tag, for what it's worth.

• americangolden
    9 years ago

Quick snapshot this morning. Temps are cooling down here as of lately during the night.

{{gwi:641132}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, thank you, they do look very similar has yours ever bloomed I know that might sound silly but was again wondering about the color.
    Gardening is so very relaxing I really enjoy it myself plus I unwind by being in the midst of cacti & succulents and the making of the soil ðÂÂÂ
    That's funny, you get rid of some plants and you're neighbors add those same ones to there yard, you're a trend setter.

America golden, wow nice snap shot way to start your day, they look great, I like the color too.
    temps are still in the 90's here in southern California, rain yesterday bright hot sun today with no clouds in sight.
    What can I say, besides I love California.
    Thanks for sharing your pics please take some more snap shots of your garden.

Greg

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Greg - my Firebird has bloomed rather prolifically. Can't believe I don't have a pic, but the flowers are real orangy, kind of a tangerine orange. There's an inflo going up on one now. I'll get hubby to take a pic for me while I'm in Ohio.

Americangolden - you have some really gorgeous jades! How's the big guy you whacked a while back?

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg,i love that little aloe,the flower reminds me of candy corn.

Crenda i love your little garden of aloes as well,how do you keep it so weed free??

Since we're in such a drought,i plan on taking out a section of my backyard that never recovered from the skunk damage.Of course i have to wait til it cools off some.Havn't really decided yet what i am going to put there,but i want it to be low maintenance,and of course low water.
    Kathi

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

It's still September, so here's my Aloe juvenna in bloom! I was afraid I would miss it while I was in Ohio, so Charlie sent me a pic last night.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Everyone's gardens looks so stunning.

Omg Wanton,
    I so need this:

{{gwi:641133}}

AND

{{gwi:641134}}

What are their names so I can hunt them down? I don't have enough succulents. No, really...I don't. I thought I did but now looking at how many everyone else have, I am clearly deprived.

And that's not acceptable!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Sugi C, The blue echeveria in the second picture is Echeveria mazarine. I got it from Lowes or HD. The first one came to me without a name. That is all one plant and it definitely needs to be cut back for winter. A nursery owner said it just appeared in one of their pots un invited. If you email me your address through my page , I can send you some trimmings. When I google iE mazarine, it has a lot of variability in color . That might be a sun issue. I grow mine outside as much as possible in my Zone. The color is very distinctive.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Wantomara,

I'm so emailing you right now. It's stunning and I want to make mine trail out of a pot like that. :)
    There really is a lot of color variation in the mazarine, huh? Googling that, most don't get that pink tinge like yours has. So pretty!!

Thanks so much, Wanton (amara)!

Grace

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Nice plants! They look great!

Mine got too much sun without me realizing it. They were doing fine a month, ago, but seem to have gotten too much sun since then.

Tneomi, the display of your plants are nice and one of them is catching my eye.

• chadec
    9 years ago

Awesome photos, love the gardens.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

My autumn began in May :)

This post was edited by Oks2n2 on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 5:18

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Another pic of crassula Tom Thumb

• tneomi
    9 years ago

Camellia1
    this one?
    I do not know what the exact ID

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Tneomi,
    it's Coral or Lady's Fingers.

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Tneomi,

Yes, it looks like it has some variegation. If so, it's quite rare.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Greg,

Your aloe looks like this one?
    While I don't know the name of it, I do know that the hummingbirds visit daily to drink from it. Daily. And for as long as I can remember this year, it has a bloom on it. Profusely fast grower, too.

I love this one, though I haven't quite figured out how one propagates it....

Grace

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Grace, clip a whole rosette from the aloe with stem tissue. sprinkle cinnamon on the fresh cut and then mist it every once and a while. till you see the yellow roots forming. Then dirt and gentle watering. One Can not water it till it has roots. I have had the rosettes out in the air in shade for months till the roots formed and they are still alive. Sometimes it takes awhile and sometimes it is quick. It depends on the time of year. Springtime is the best. I have clipped in late fall and they hung around till spring to root. I have placed them in piled rocks because that gives a damp atmosphere, but perfect drainage. some will put it in a gritty dirt and mist till they feel resistance to a gentle tug.

I am not talking about your specific aloe , but aloes in general.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Mara,

Maybe that's it. Two two times I tried, it was the rare occasion when half a leaf broke off due to accidents. Stem tissue....got it. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Aloes, as a rule will not propagate from a leaf . Some say they it CAN be done. Don't count on it. I have never seen it in my yard.

• americangolden
    9 years ago

Crenda,

Thank you, and the large whacked Jade is doing great. Really filled in this summer. I will post pictures when I get home.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz