Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tylecodon buchholzianus,weird deciduous jade plant

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 15:21

Tylecodon buchholzianus. Very weird but supposed to be not that hard to keep. What is the plant supposed to look like?

Hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320979930400&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:3160ere

is one on ebay, this guy's are leggy but cool looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay auction

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tylecodon buchholzianus,weird deciduous jade plant

Here is more pictures and info. Can grow without leaves.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/TYLECODON/Tylecodon_buchholzianus/Tylecodon_buchholzianus/Tylecodon_buchholzianus.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: webpage on the plant

o

Noki,

It's actually one of the more common Tylecodons, but it's a wonderful winter-grower cousin of the jade (its name is an anagram of its first genus name, Cotyledon)It cannot grow without leaves - it can flower without them, however. I don't remember if this is a T. that flowers before or after leafing out in September or so.

o

And he clearly knows little about the plant when he states this

'Keep dry Nov-Jan, leaves will fall, then water from February to get flowers and winter growth. Best grown hard, no fertiliser'

I also find the fact that he doesn't mention that it's poisonous (although not the most poisonous of the lot).

Did you bid for it successfully? That's a decent price on that plant pictured, IMO.

o

No, I didn't win that... but thought about it. Was that specimen pruned to look cool bonsai like? Each pic I see looks different, some are more shrubby. Some have more "nubs".

o

Growth habit is effected by growing conditions. Full sun, pour soil, limited fertilizer and water produce a short stocky plant. Most plants I see are watered and fed too much and given insufficient light, resulting in a leggy thin specimen.

o

I only see these at the local succulent shows... rarely see one in full foliage, but here's one with at least partial foliage

o

here's one that I just missed flowering

o

here is mine. i got it in June 2012, 3in pot

o

Thanks for the images/ideas. Had to have one. Bought one, the pic on the link is supposed to be the one I won... hopefully it is a good plant. Don't have yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here