Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Cotyledon Orbiculata var. Oblonga - Finger Aloe: Popularity?

intelinside1
10 years ago

I just came upon this gorgeous plant Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga -(aka Finger Aloe, Grey Sticks, 'Purple' Chalk Fingers). The cotyledon oblonga has these beautiful foliage that is blueish-greyish to deep purple.

There are different varieties of Cotyledons but this one appears like the Senecio Blue Chalk fingers but its a silvery-purple and even more gorgeous.

There are a lot more images of it on google but i couldn't post the link for some reason

I've noticed that Senecio Mandraliscae (aka Blue Chalk Fingers or Blue Senecio) is VERY popular out here in Southern California.

Also the cotyledon oblonga has beautiful red "aloe-like" flowers while the Senecio Blue Calk has these ugly "weed-like flowers".

I was wondering why more people dont use more Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga?

Comments (5)

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic. i think the foliage of cotyledon orb oblonga is nicer than senecio blue!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It could be because it itroduction into the trade was not picked up by the big growers. It is all about the marketplace. What are the hardiness differences between the two? S. madreliscae's is 15-20F. C. orbiculata is rated at 25-30F. The big growers are going to grow the Senecio because they can sell it to more people for outdoors growing. We all don't live in Succulent heaven of southern California. I grow senecio outside in Central Texas . It gets killed on the big freezes every decade or so. I do like the Pigs Ear but i would have to protect it by bringing it in.

Another reason that it is not as wide spread is that its introduction into the trade might have happened after the senecio, and people are just becoming familiar with it.

Your plant is beautiful.

• reggie
    10 years ago

I like this plant much better too. Ok major growers, I submit my vote to grow more of this. The flowers are much nicer. The plant looks a bit more compact too.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants shown! I think you should be careful about posting copyrighted pix from other sites/forums. May get you in trouble. As you can see on the photo, it says "unauthorized use is prohibited". Palmbob is a member of this forum as well (using a diff moniker). He may not mind, but then, maybe he will. Sorry to be the Photo Police, but I don't like it when folks use my pix without permission.

Something that may or may not be helpful...
    Okay, I hate to rain on your parade...BUT...the plants shown, plus others at Dave's Garden are NOT Cotyledon orbiculata v. oblonga. What they are, is debatable. I have seen 2 plants on the market recently that are this grey w/purplish color (I agree, it is gorgeous). Both I have come across at Home Depot. I should've bought one of each so I could have as examples, but you know how hindsight goes! I believe the names they used (whether or not valid names) were Cotyledon 'White Sprite' (not to be confused with Dudleya 'White Sprite') and Cotyledon mini Oophylla.

Now, the coloring IS similar to Cotyledon orbiculata var. orbiculata 'Oophylla'. The shape & size of the 2 plants I saw was different than the one I just named. No telling if they are forms of it! The flowers of the plant shown are definitely Cotyledon. If you can figure out exactly which plants these are...then you can beg the growers to make more of them!! =)

As for the common names used at that site, Pig's Ear is the only one I have ever heard anyone use in connection with Cotyledon orbiculata (the species), as it slightly resembles one. Most of the varieties & cultivars do not. :P

Hope you find some of this helpful...although I imagine it just muddies the water!

Beautifully colored succulent...I agree, more,more, more!

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry this isn't my plant. And sorry about the pics. I should have said who they were from. I actually googled "purple chalk fingers" (google image search) and those were the best pic.

So credit for pics go to palmbob from davegarden, but I guess the name is incorrect and still debatable.

I'm glad you gave that info rose.

I actually found these at Home Depot as well and bought several. They were also called Cotyledon 'White Sprite' and are really 'chalky'/ 'powdery' They're almost light blue/ grey in some areas lower in the leaf then the tips are dark purple and they are beautiful! :)

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County