Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anchoring top heavy plants to a pot

Posted by hookilau long island NY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 15:27

So I've been acquiring large Jades at a break neck pace, lol. I've been bare rooting them & putting them in gritty mix. I'm having a wee bit of trouble with them being quite top heavy & leaning even though they've been pruned.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions to keep them secure until the roots populate the new pot? Here's my newest Jade, just arrived today.

Antoinette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anchoring top heavy plants to a pot

Could you try putting a string around the upper part of the trunk and securing it something away from the way it leans such as the black part behind it? Other options would be planting it deeper in the mix, or even using stones on the upper portion of your mix to help keep everything in place.

o

• Posted by Ron4310 6B West Kelowna BC (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 18:09

I do like the bonsai people do. Run wires over the top of the root ball and down through the drain hole and fasten under the pot to a stick or some thing flat to let the pot sit level.

o

ahh. Good idea. I already do the 'egg' stone but it's sometimes not enough. I have a bunch of teeny little bungee cords I thought I might tie down my pot & plant to the shelf they sit on. But of course, it's kind of unsightly -_-

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into wire and see if I can't find something I can make work.

Antoinette

o

Hot glue your pot to the shelf? It will pry off when you want to move it.

o

LOL!!!
No, wait. for real?

o

I have never done it but why not. I love my hot glue gun . It helps me out of a lot of problems. Watering might be a problem.

o

Ahhhhh! You almost got me XD. That would've been hilarious if I did it, right? right? right? lol! I went to what is fast becoming my favorite garden center & got me a couple of planters that will likely work for that big ol' Jade. They were pretty inexpensive & not heavy at all. Just gotta drill some holes.

The cavity is larger so I'll be able to fit more potting medium, hopefully, this will make a more stable plant with more room to develop supporting roots. While the opening is about the same as the pot pictured above, it's larger at the bottom.

I'm going to search out more pots like this for my Jades, they look to be just what I need for my top heavy guys. Thanks for the input =)

Antoinette

o

As Ron4310 mentions, depending upon the plant (and jades would be a good candidate for this) wiring the plant into the pot with bonsai wire is your best bet. I do it with my bonsai, including those that are succulents. See the video, below.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: wiring bonsai to a pot

o

Thanks for the link, it helps alot! I already re-potted my Jade into the pot shown above and he's pretty sturdy right now. There's a bit more room for him to grow in there so hopefully he'll grow a bit more.

Photobucket

I have 10 pretty good sized cuttings that will hopefully strike roots & come back to life. Wiring these guys into their pots will surely be the way to go. Thanks again for the link, I'm a visual learner =)

Antoinette

o

Antoinette,

Sorry to rain on part of the parade, but inwardly-recurving pots are a bane to repotting, as you generally need to saw through the rootball (I'd recommend a compass saw) to get the plant out for repotting. Of course, you're likely good for a year or so, and you might want to keep that plant in that pot always, in which case sawing and repotting into its old home is only a once-every-five-years thriller.

o

I have broken my fair share of pots to get my plants out. I have a huge clump of claret cup and when it is time , I will kill the pot before I killl the plant. Bang! But I knew that when I plamnted it. To bad it is a very nice blue pot. Simple, nice lines but infinitely replaceable.

o

Ack. I didn't think of that. Good catch. I guess I'll keep him in there till Spring & then out he goes. There's plenty of room now, so I expect a few months won't be a problem.

I've been reading up on styling to a nice form & proportions so all the more reason to re-pot this spring =) I expect these would be good for my sempervivum and other shallow rooted succulents.

Antoinette

o

Antoinette,

To answer your original question, rocks placed around the plant can stabilize it, as well as an extra layer of top dressing.

If you are able to grow them there, Semps flourish best outside in the ground. They need a cold cycle.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here