Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmualum08

Will my tree Aloe die?

GMUAlum08
9 years ago

So apparently ants led a nasty aphid infestation that lead to rot at the top of the stem of my tree.

I was advised to cut out the rot and spray with fungicide. I've probably cut out 1/3 of the diameter of the bark on the tree and had to cut pretty deep at the top of the stem.

Is there any chance of my tree recovering from this or is it a lost cause? There is no rot at the base of the trunk and I think the roots are plenty fine. Not sure if I just need to cut off the entire top head on this guy or keep spraying with fungicide and let it try and heal itself.

I've got other pictures I'll attach as well.

Comments (9)

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of the damage

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the tree currently. Its such a beautiful piece and will grow into something magnificent if it lives. I really don't want to have to remove it

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

I myself have to spray with a stream of water the leaf bases of my tree Aloe's or they also will accumulate aphids or mealy bugs.
    If that top becomes too pinched- I cant tell exactly by those pics,but it looks very narrow where you cut- You might be better off taking that top off and re rooting it.
    Now for what I don't know...will that kill the main branch? Maybe. I had a Aloe rupestrus top snap off...and the trunk never suckered,and died But,the snapped off top rooted easy and fast I only lost a foot or so of height- it kept the full crown.
    You do have a lower branch that I bet would quickly become the new leader. Its not going to die,don't worry about that.

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I probably cut a quarter of an inch into the main branch. I don't think its enough to snap it off but I'm wondering if I cut too deeply that water a nutrients will no longer flow to the main head? Or did I cut to much bark off the circumference of the tree that it will kill it?

If I cut off the main head, will new growth appear out of the top of the trunk? Kind of like when people cut the heads off their ponytail palms?

I really don't want to do that, how long do you think it will take before I know if the main branch is going to die or not? Will the leaves just start to wilt and turn to mush?

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, here is a shot from the back to see how deep i had to cut. Do you think the main head will continue to grow? Do you think it will snap off?

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone have any other thoughts or experience with this? If so, could you please provide answers to my questions above. I really want to do everything possible to preserve this tree. thanks

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I cut too deeply that water a nutrients will no longer flow to the main head? Or did I cut to much bark off the circumference of the tree that it will kill it?

A tree Aloe is not like a tree trunk that becomes wood and bark. A tree aloe is dried up stuff on the outside and then succulent stuff inside that. As the trunk gets bigger and bigger it has more dried up stuff on the outside and more succulent stuff on the inside, but no wood. So you didn't cut off bark, really.

If I cut off the main head, will new growth appear out of the top of the trunk? Kind of like when people cut the heads off their ponytail palms?
    likely the other rosette will take over. Most of the stem you cut off will probably die, you might get another rosette lower down. Or you might not.

I really don't want to do that, how long do you think it will take before I know if the main branch is going to die or not? Will the leaves just start to wilt and turn to mush?

would more likely dry up than mush up.

I have a thraskii that had a very bent stem at first. I thought the top would snap off. It did not. As it grew, it has become quite straight. The bend didn't straighten out, the trunk outgrew the bend. I have optimal growing conditions for Aloes. Your MMV depending on your climate. If you only cut off a quarter of an inch, the stem can thicken up as it continues to grow and you may see nothing more than a small scar. Try very hard to avoid any rot in the future.

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, based on what you can see do you think the main rosette will survive?

Do you think within a few weeks I will be able to determine if the main rosette will survive? I just want to gauge how long I should wait before taking further action.
    In the first and second picture you can see a new rosette forming out of the front. Do you think if this continues to grow as well as the main rosette it is safe to assume the tree will recover?

I am in southern ca so I think my conditions are pretty good for growing. Is our winter their growing season? This rot was solely a result of an infestation and not overwatering so if it recovers from this I don't suspect to see any more rot since I will be much more diligent protecting it from pests

• GMUAlum08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bump