Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_tx9

Day blooming cereus

pat_tx9
17 years ago

I'm trying to find what I think is a cereus and is a day blooming one. Does anyone know the what I am referring to. The one I saw had white blooms and grew in a hanging basket. I'm not sure if they are called epyphyllums or just

cereus. Any help would be appreciated because I'd love to have one.

Comments (12)

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

You may be describing Hylocereus, which is an epiphytic cactus with white blooms, not sure off the top of my head if they're diurnal but I'm sure Google would know.

• pat_tx9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks but the Hylocereus is night blooming according to the references on google so I need another lead.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Is this what you are looking for?? This is my Epiphyllum(sp),i also have it in pink ,and i bought some more cuttings this spring that i don't know the colors of yet,i'm hoping i have a yellow one!! Time will tell.
    Kathi

{{gwi:515636}}

• pat_tx9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I believe that's the one. Your photo is upclose and the one I saw was at a distance and in a hanging basket. Since I posted the other day, I found one at a nursery and he said it was the mini white - whatever that means. Kathi where did you buy your cuttings? Thanks for the photo.
    Pat

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Try epiforums - all sorts of epi info, trading etc...if you can't find it there, it doesn't exist!

• pat_tx9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I signed in and evidently they didn't get back to me with an email or whatever they do and I can't post or download anything. I've emailed them so maybe they
    will do what they have to do to help me. Thanks,
    Pat

• smurfboy
    17 years ago

Epiphyllums bloom in the day and are sisters to the night bloomers, althought day bloomers come in many colors and are pretty, night bloomers have that wonderful fragrance that you just die for. I collect Brugmansias aka "angels trumpets" for that very purpose, at night you can smell the flowers within 100 feet of the plant, its wonderful!

• milwdave
    17 years ago

There are white epiphyllum hybrids. Check out some of the online vendors.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• krisb_tx8
    17 years ago

There are white day blooming hybrid epies. I think the one that looks like picture above is called Young Nun, it has some fragrance too. Try google Epies by Pat. I bought from her few times, good seller and nice size cuttings. She might have some other white day blooming epies.

• pat_tx9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the information and I feel more confident now. I got a catalog from Epiphyllum World the other day and there are so many epis to choose from. I just hate having to do a $20 minimun order plus shipping to begin with but I might break down and do it.
    Pat

• baci
    17 years ago

True/species epis are night flowering. Day flowering are hybrids & are usually more colorful.
    I did not see his prices but Bob Smoley may be cheaper. He has feedback of being late sending for some people, however.

• pat_tx9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you.