Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Day blooming cereus

Posted by pat_tx9 Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 15:37

I'm trying to find what I think is a cereus and is a day blooming one. Does anyone know the what I am referring to. The one I saw had white blooms and grew in a hanging basket. I'm not sure if they are called epyphyllums or just
cereus. Any help would be appreciated because I'd love to have one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Day blooming cereus

You may be describing Hylocereus, which is an epiphytic cactus with white blooms, not sure off the top of my head if they're diurnal but I'm sure Google would know.

o

Thanks but the Hylocereus is night blooming according to the references on google so I need another lead.

o

Is this what you are looking for?? This is my Epiphyllum(sp),i also have it in pink ,and i bought some more cuttings this spring that i don't know the colors of yet,i'm hoping i have a yellow one!! Time will tell.
Kathi

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I believe that's the one. Your photo is upclose and the one I saw was at a distance and in a hanging basket. Since I posted the other day, I found one at a nursery and he said it was the mini white - whatever that means. Kathi where did you buy your cuttings? Thanks for the photo.
Pat

o

Try epiforums - all sorts of epi info, trading etc...if you can't find it there, it doesn't exist!

o

I signed in and evidently they didn't get back to me with an email or whatever they do and I can't post or download anything. I've emailed them so maybe they
will do what they have to do to help me. Thanks,
Pat

o

Epiphyllums bloom in the day and are sisters to the night bloomers, althought day bloomers come in many colors and are pretty, night bloomers have that wonderful fragrance that you just die for. I collect Brugmansias aka "angels trumpets" for that very purpose, at night you can smell the flowers within 100 feet of the plant, its wonderful!

o

There are white epiphyllum hybrids. Check out some of the online vendors.

Dave
Milwaukee

o

There are white day blooming hybrid epies. I think the one that looks like picture above is called Young Nun, it has some fragrance too. Try google Epies by Pat. I bought from her few times, good seller and nice size cuttings. She might have some other white day blooming epies.

o

Thanks everyone for all of the information and I feel more confident now. I got a catalog from Epiphyllum World the other day and there are so many epis to choose from. I just hate having to do a $20 minimun order plus shipping to begin with but I might break down and do it.
Pat

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 9:24

True/species epis are night flowering. Day flowering are hybrids & are usually more colorful.
I did not see his prices but Bob Smoley may be cheaper. He has feedback of being late sending for some people, however.

o

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here