Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_falconer

Worried about my first titanopsis!

S.Falconer
9 years ago

Hi all,

I purchased my first titanopsis (a hugo-schlechteri) back in June at the SF Cactus and Succulent society annual show and sale. I was so excited to bring this exotic little plant home with me, but now, 3 months later I'm a bit concerned about its health.

Shortly after purchasing the plant I repotted it in a shallow dish with Miracle Gro catus potting mix. It seemed to do well at first, but then I started noticing some damage. It didn't take me long to discover the little caterpillar that snuck in with the plant. I killed the green invader and things seemed to be going better, but even now certain portions of the plant are dying from the base, seeming to be softened.

The plant lives in a huge south-facing window, and receives very hot, direct light almost all day long. I probably water it every week and a half, thoroughly wetting its container. I've noticed that the plant seemed firmer on the side which has been positioned towards the window. Also, I have to admit I've been pouring water over the plant - maybe I should put in a stone to pour the water in on and avoid wetting its leaves?

Please help! I want this little guy to survive and flourish.

Comments (5)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

I'm no C&S expert but to me the 'soli' appears to be very, very wet. It needs a porous and fast draining medium to thrive. Miracle grow C&S soil is not recommended by many growers on here even for use with C&S's. What type of mix was it growing in originally? This looks like a recipe for root rot and from what you have said that may be happening already.
    If it were mine, I would un-pot, check the roots/plant bases for rot, cut away damaged portions, dry it out and re-pot in a fast draining gritty mix (and by that I don't mean sandy, the particles are way to small) I think your mix is far too fine and is wet and has compacted too much. I would also never water overhead, a light mist occasionally, but not drenching. Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else with more C&S experience will offer more detailed info. Good luck with your little plant.

Gill UK.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Are they "mushy soft" on the edges and tops somewhat wiggly ?

Personal prefferenace to your pot choice I would have set it in a pot less bigger by it's square shape and a little deeper
    Thechnicly in my opinion it is slghtly over potted but works

Soil concern ? Each chooses there own as to what shoud be used but all agree that good ( fast) draining potting materails are important.

My soil for these is pumice, gravel with an equal amount of perlite sifted with some somewhat less powdery from the very bag of C&S you may have found.
    Not certain you would repot right away during the active growin season of now but with a problem like this I would certainly hope you do with high hopes for the better outcome.

• S.Falconer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your feedback! I know the medium seems very fine, and very wet. That's because I put a dressing of sand on top of the potting soil, and had JUST watered it when I took the photo. It's completely dry now.

The funny thing is, a day after being deeply watered, the plant is much more springy/less wiggly. Is there a chance I just wasn't watering enough?

It sounds like when I repot I should be sure to mix more gravel and pumice in to improve drainage, but maybe I need to step up my watering, too, considering the intensity of heat and light where it's located.

Thoughts?

• IMCF
    9 years ago

i had a similar problem with my aloe vera, there was a soft spot near the base of my leaves from sitting in the soil when i bought it back from the store (they planted part of the leaves in the soil), thinking there was too much moisture, i let it dry out near the window for a week and it got worse but it stiffened up right after i watered it. I hope that helps!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Just an FYI on your sand top dressing. I did the same with a small aloe. Over time, the sand worked its way into the soil mix (also C&S at that time!) and caused too much moisture retention. It turned into a mix of sand and soil. I was surprised that the sand "moved." OTOH - I am in a moist area with rainy summers and my plants are outside, so my soil mix was bad for my area to begin with.