Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Senecio mandraliscae - "Blue Chalk Finger" cuttings???

intelinside1
10 years ago

Hi I had a question about Senecio mandraliscae - "Blue Chalk Finger" cuttings. I recently came upon a ton of different cuttings.

I have noticed my sedum fleshy varieties easily and readily formed roots from cuttings.

I was wondering what the best way to root cuttings of blue chalk fingers? Do you just remove the leaves then stick stems in dry soil after waiting for callous for several days?
Or do you lay them on soil/sand? Do you spray them with water?

I'm in Los Angeles Coastal which is sunset level 24 climate zone or 9-10 hardiness I believe.

Comments (4)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

miki,

Stick them in the ground / in a pot and leave them alone for a bit. Then lightly mist / water them. They'll get rooted in the next two months. These are great ground-cover plants for SouCal.

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK thanks. I think I've been getting them too wet because they have been shrivling up and have black on the ends which I believe is rot.

Its a lot more difficult to take leaf cuttings then whole stems also. I haven't seen any root for a month but I suppose I have to be more patient

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I've not been very good with leaf cuttings of Senecio, I think because I'm so spoiled on the ease of leaves of the Crassulaceae (Senecio is in the daisy family, a different one) rooting. I venture you'd be better off rooting cuttings of Senecio, since you have lots of them, rather than leaves.

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gotcha thanks cactusmcharris. I just have lots of leaves from breaking them off the lower part of the stems hehe