Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Transplanting wild cacti

djoyofficial
9 years ago

This is my first time posting here in this forum so please bare with me. I have been spending most of my gardening time growing hot chilis, tomatoes, herbs and various types of squash.

I have noticed, while taking walks in the hills above our house, there are a lot of wild cacti growing in the area. I think it would be great to get some growing in a few places around our estate.

Can anyone give me advice on what time of year would be best to attempt some transplanting? What is the best way to transplant a wild cactus? Or should I just try taking some clipping to root?

Thanks for any help or advice.

dj

Comments (7)

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did check with the BLM on this and they are willing to issue a permit for this... Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thnx

dj

• notolover
    9 years ago

Hello,

I have an Opuntia bed in my yard and I live on the fringe of the Great Basin so I can help you a little.

It would be better to wait until spring to plant them because they will be ready to grow like crazy then. Not sure if there is enough time to get them established before the cold sets in so I wouldn't risk it. They may not make it through the winter.

Wild cacti have crazy root systems and may go into shock if you try to move the whole thing. And depending on the size, it could be painful for you :-) And it could be illegal, as well.

Any pictures? You are a little warmer so you can probably grow species I can't. The only native cacti by me are very tiny, but hardy cacti from other places grow like weeds in my beds.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks notolover. As stated above I am making sure that it is legal. I will get some pictures soon for you to see. Being new to this it will take me a while to learn what they are.. Some prickly pair types and some other smaller ones that are more cylindrical in shape... nothing large grows naturally here that I have noticed. I am further north in the basin and on the edge the wasatch mtns. Could be zone 5 but seems more 6 to me.

Stay tuned for pics... lot of rain this year so the gras is tall.. might take a while to find em again... and.....ugh... rattle snakes to boot. :-) fun though!

dj

• notolover
    9 years ago

Sorry--I was writing my post when you posted about the permit :-) You are a responsible grower for sure.

I'm on the opposite edge of the Great Basin, up against the Sierras.

Can't wait for the pics, can you hold off until those rattlers hibernate? We have them here, but I've never seen one. Every once in a while I hear slithering in the leaves/weeds, but my mind tells me that it's just a garter snake.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised here are a couple of pictures. This is the only type of cactus I was able to find this morning. These were mostly hiding amongst the sage brush. I may have to wait till spring to find some of the others. The grass is ridiculously thick this year.

{{gwi:642163}}

{{gwi:642164}}

Still need to ID these.
    I am super excited to have found a place only ten minutes from where I live that has a huge selection of cold hearty cacti for sale. Going to go visit her and get some local advice. Anyone heard or dealt with em? Are they reputable? Think they are called intermountain cactus.

dj

• notolover
    9 years ago

Yes! Half the plants in my beds are from them.

You will be in very good hands, lucky you! I think they are in a zone 6.

Those are some healthy looking wild cacti. You must have been getting a lot of rain. Some scary spines, though. Be careful when you are transplanting :-)

IM can probably ID that for you.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It looks like another form of O. fragilis to my eyes, dj - one of the more widespread ones.

Thanks for another place to spend money at - who know there were that many forms of O polyacantha!!

I'd do your transplanting in springtime.