Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Crassula 'Rabbit'......??

Hi folks, just doing a spot of ebaying and have come across a variety of crassula advertised as C. argentea var. 'Rabbit.' Have any of you heard of this or know anything about this variety, there does not seem much info about it on the net. The seller is in Germany. It appears to be something like a Hobbit but with the colouring of a Hummels. I've added the pic courtesy of the advert on ebay uk, so hope this is ok to do this! I really like the look of it don't you?

Gill UK

Comments (9)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just went back to the ebayUK site in my hunt for another crassula ffix and came across another one I really like. This time it's named Crassula variegate var. 'Helios'. How many more can there be? I guess sports are being grown on as and when they appear. Oh to have one grow on one of mine! There's no info on here on Helios after doing a search, unless it masquerades under another name, so enjoy this one too folks :)

Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 16:48

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Can't say anything about them, but wish I had more room to get one of these :) One of the GW members, Oks2n2 has the same plants.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

greenclaws,
    first crassula is usual Hobbit under cool sunshine.
    My Hobbit is on pic.
    About second. The top leaves look like 'Helios' ones. But lower leaves are similar Ovata's variegata. Either 'Helios' is overfertilized or Hummel's Sunset variegata is overlighted. The latter is most likely.

This post was edited by Oks2n2 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 6:22

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's interesting, thanks for the info. Whatever they are, I like them and wish I could get hold of some of these variegated ones. The bit you say about 'overlighting', I obtained couple of small leaved pieces from a plant in Spain...they were actually detached and lying under the plant...honest! The mother plant was a very pale lime-green almost yellow colour, now they have rooted and grown really well, it looks just the same as my own normal green Jades....so you may well be correct :)

Gill UK

• bens2bens
    9 years ago

Hi,
    i also think that the "Rabbit" is just the normal "Hobbit". Many sellers invent new names for their plants to get better prices. This seller from Germany from time to time also sells "Tricolor" as "Zebra".

With the "Helios" Iôm not really sure if it is really a cultivar of the small leaf jade (Crassula ovata minor) as stated on ebay. I also have this plant at home and it has normal sized leaves that under low light conditions have the classical variegation that could be seen on the lower part of the plant. In full light the leaves get completely yellow. So maby it is just "Hummel Sunset Variegata" ...

All the best,
    Ben

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Ben,
    we're seeing change in appearance of leaves under the influence of external factors. Most likely, under long bright light. Therefore the initial leaves have been remaining still and growing modified, new leaves.
    Oksana.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one of my Hobbits grown here in the UK, it's kept in the g/h from spring onwards and will soon be coming in the house for winter. Its in the sunniest spot where temps often get to 80f.....so I suppose it just goes to show what different conditions can do to a plant...and a 'new' name also! Thanks for your input.

Gill UK

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I agree that the first is 'Hobbit.'
    The second is lovely, but I don't know its pedigree.

Josh

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Plants are protected from light excess. If protective cover is absent on leaves as in Arborescens, they can reduce their size and discolour.
    We observe this on the example of the second plant. A new cultivar with 'Helios' leaves is growing.

Gill,
    excellent Hobbit!
    Oksana.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH