Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ealdwood

Help ID succulents- mostly common?

ealdwood (10a)
9 years ago

Hello! Went to an awesome cacti succulent annual sale by the cactus and succulent society of massachusetts today, my first time to one of these things. Thought I died and went to succulent heaven especially after spending weekends sneaking around lowes and wmart poring over the dying ones..

Anyways, got four for $11: string of buttons (crassula perforata non variegated) the mini yellow shrub thing, the red sedum (is this graptosedum California sunset? Because if it is then I already have some...), and the short origami crystal echeveria thing.

Then I got that haworthia viscosa something something (I can get a better pic, I can't read the handwriting..) for $6 cause I've been wanting a stacked succulent for forever.

The last one is Cuban oregano, I got it for free for showing up early (cool!) and I guess I can use it in my cooking!

Can someone ID and/or correct me? I'm really guessing here.

Comments (25)

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

What fun for you! Glad you scored! Nice plants!

The yellow one might be Sedum 'Gold Dots', but from this view, it might not be the right shaped leaves.

Crassula perforata is always a good one to have.

Love your descriptions :) (short origami crystal echeveria): I believe is xPachyveria 'Little Jewel'.

I'm thinking it is not xGraptosedum ;California Sunset'. but xGraptosedum 'Bronze'.

That does indeed look similar to Haworthia viscosa, but on steroids...so that "something something" might be a cultivar name.

I would double check on that Plectranthus, Cuban Oregano, before trying to cook with it. Nice of them to gift it to you. :)

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha true don't want to be cooking the wrong plant, well the ticketmaster did tell me it was Cuban oregano, said it smelled nice when the leaves are rubbed, and showed me the scientific name, (plectanthrus amboinicus) Which I forgot, had to look it up.
    Wow I didn't realize I purchased a cultivar.. Thought I knew enough about plant taxonomy but had to look up what cultivar was. So it's something the owner propagated on their own (or selected from the wild)? That's crazy..!

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're spot on for all of them, gold dots, little jewel, and graptosedum bronze. Found out some sites seem to have the wrong pics for Vera Higgins and California sunset. But I've concluded Vera Higgins have slenderer petals. And I guess bronze is 'redder' than california sunset.

Thanks so much!!! Here's a better pic of the cultivar: looks like pseududotritusoa...

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Randomly stumbled upon this page, looks like its a var pseudotortuosa...hmm

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert tropicals

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

The H. vicosa is definitely cool looking! In need of a repot though..The pot is too small and shallow.
    Have fun with your new plants, they look very nice :)

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Glad to hear the leaf smells as you describe. Sounds like the right one. :) Happy cooking!

'Vera Higgins' is an invalid name...just means it is 'Bronze'. ('Alpenglow' is another name that is really 'Bronze')

Did some checking in my Haworthia book. There is one H. viscosa 'Subtortuosa'. (Desert Tropicals is not update & rarely ever make corrections with their plant names. It is a good place for basic hunting, though.) Your plant doesn't quite look like the pix of 'Subtortuosa' in my book...but it IS a Haworthia viscosa, no mistake about that. Your plants' leaves are much larger & darker green. They say (in the book) that hybrids are rarely seen-except on in Australia. Enjoy your new wards!
    Nice plant!

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thanks for the tidbits guys! Very interesting, invalid names. I should look that up.

Haha I only noticed the teeny pot after I purchased it and instantly thought it was the cutest miniature pot I've ever seen. I'm surprised it can do so well in such a small pot but I guess most succulents have shallow roots..

I've been trying to think of where I can buy a nice shallow dish style pot..I looked at ikea and west elm sites but they don't seem to have shallow ones.. Or if they do it's really pricey/big. Oh well I'll think of something

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

Sometimes pots can be found in thrift stores. Min

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Hi Ealdwood, do you have more pics to share from the show last year? I'm thinking of entering the novice category this, however my main drawing factor are the rarity of plants available at the sale section. Did you by any chance spot any variegated typed plants? Were there alot of vendors?

I just want to make sure my 4-5 hours drive up for the weekend to be worth the effort.

Your comments will be much appreciated!

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There were at least six vendors that I could remember, one of them had one pot of variegated bear claws, but that's all I could remember (or more like could tell) in regards to variegated stuff, there was one vendor that only sold aloes so maybe they had variegated. The main vendor I bought from had a huge variety but I guess mostly common-ish stuff like the ones I bought.

There definitely was one vendor who specialized in rarer things such as euphorbias and had them potted in this cool shiny black sand. But being kinda new at this I didn't want to spend $$ and then have them die on me.

Im pretty sure I remembered someone sold some white succulents...I think someone on this forum had pics of theirs.

And there was one vendor with crazy looking cacti.

The judging section was roped off and the judges were there so I didn't dare to take good pics and had to leave early (parking was horrible last year but I read it's changed this year) but there were definitely cool stuff there, obviously nothing I can name..stuff with caudexes etc.

Sorry I only have two more pictures and i have a feeling they're blurry. One is of that vendor selling the rarer stuff and the other is of the judging table.

That IS a long drive : (...

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ah darn didn't take pictures of the euphorbias. But they were there. You can also Facebook the Massachusetts succulent and cacti society (they also have a google group page) they have better pics.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Hey Ealdwood, thanks for sharing all those info! It's really helpful. How far away were you from the venue?

i guess I'll never know unless I go check it out. Well, I'm more so interested in the rarer echeverias and crassula varities in specific. Variegated echeverias are the top of my list. It's just so hard to find a stable cultivar do these type of plants in the northeast, but they are more relatively common amongst nurseries in the west coast.

Anyway, will u be going this year? Let me.see if I can convince my husband to drive up- it will be a fun weekend.

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm about 45 mins away from it, the people there were really nice so I'm glad I drove there. Yes I'm definitely going this year too and am aiming to go early-ish too just because of traffic and also they give out a "freebie succulent" to early birds. It was the cuban oregano herb, which is still alive and flourishing in a pot with normal potting soil. Hardy thing.

Maybe if you message the facebook group, they might know if any of this year's vendors will be bringing variegated echeverias/crassulas? I've never contacted them this way so I don't know how responsive they are : \

I'm not sure what's on the top of my list, think I have to give myself a budget or else...

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Also run the risk of them jacking up the prices because they know there's a particularly high demand for them. But that's probably the case anyway, right?

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jacking up the price because they're contacted by a lot of people or.. because variegated stuff are popular/rare? I don't know much about how succulent nursery/vendors price their stuff...The higher price ranges I saw last year for this show: for smallish specimens (2-3 inch wide) were about $10, which I already think is plenty...until I do random searches on ebay and then I just don't know what to think anymore lol.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I don't know if I could pry 10 dollars out of my mental bank account for a plant that small.....but.....maybe I just haven't found the right plant yet lol.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Thanks Ealdwood, I wrote to them, and the vp wrote back to me with a list of vendors to contact. I might just email all of them, but chances are, you will see me at the show. I think it will be fun to actually participate and support these fairs in the northeast, given the rep that it is so hard to grow these plants here and the lack in commodity as compared to our west coast folks.

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pictures!!!

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Is that your goodie box from the show? What kind of Gasteria is that?

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Dang Ealdwood you are fast!!! I was at the show, did I just missed you?

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lol! Yeah I just left because my SO was hungry! Are you staying for the auction?

That is my loot! The gasteria was one of the donated freebies for early birds, I can't see the end of the tag or I think the handwriting got erased, looks like it got singed a little huh?

My last purchase was a small euphorbia obesa. I saw one that won first place for its category.

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yea I brought some of my plants and they were all placed in the novice catergory. Bought quite a few rare plants and won a few ribbons(lol), gonna share the photos later. Gotta drive back to the city now.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Can't wait.

• joediedrichs
    8 years ago

I have one of the plants in there but don't know what it is