11 years ago

This echeveria has quite a few flowers.

{{gwi:643283}}

{{gwi:643284}}

{{gwi:643285}}

Comments (25)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Wow, Karyn, what a beautiful tiny colorful plants you got there? First time I see those.
    Marie

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

It looks like a E. harmsii, I think. I have one but it is pre-bloom, a baby still.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

It does look like Echeveria harmsii and a ton more flowers than mine. Nice growing.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Karyn,

VERY pretty, reminds me of the few times I've gotten to see blooms like these in person.

Hi Ltran,

Just in case you don't know, if you click on her pix, they'll get bigger, lots bigger & allow you their pleasure even more (big like your great Crown of Thorn Pix). If you already know this, pls. never mind.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't take any credit. The echeverias I grow get a few flower stalks at the most. DH got them in yesterday and knows that I like echeverias and brought it home. That's one of the smaller plants in a 6" pot. He said the ones in the 10" pots were really loaded with flowers but they already sold out. I might have him bring home a big one as they are available thru Nov. It's too bad that once they are bought they'll get chopped up and used in flower arrangements.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Hey Karyn, didn't know that DH got them as part of the "Business" They are still great... makes my plant look even smaller....LOL

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howard it's mainly wholesale cut flowers but there's a fairly large plant dept and a floral supply dept as well.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

I just bought one of these last night!!! I'd never seen them before this. The 8" pots were like 25$, mine is in a 6" pot for 12.99. Has lots & lots of blooms too. I bought one for my mil as well. Sooooo pretty! Is it bad that I'm already planning how to hack mine up? heh heh. Yeah, it's bad 8).

I'll wait till the blooms are done to do frankenstein experiments & have a few leaves drying for starts. If I get enough of them rooted, I plan to plant outside next year for some summer interest. The usual HD annual menu is just a wee bit ho hum.

Antoinette

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like a lot of these are coming from Bay City Flower Co./ Hana Bay Flowers in CA. They cost DH $3 for a 6" pot and $8 for a 10" (might actually be 8", not sure) by the case.

Looking at mine there's way more flower then foliage. Is that normal for this variety or are they intentionally grown this way for the market? All my others have nice rosettes with the occasional flower stalks, nothing like this one. Once the flowers are spent I think it's going to look kind of fugly.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

yes, my thoughts exactly...which is why I was planning to hack mine up for a few dish gardens, once it finishes flowering.

As a filler plant the foliage, when kept compact & neat looks to be a welcome splash of color. I plan to follow the suggestion of cutting off the head & potting up.

Mine also only has one or 2 heads, mostly flower stalks like yours. It says they're easily propagated by leaf cuttings too, so I've got a few of those fuzzy lil fellers drying in a dish of gritty.

Only time will tell =)

Antoinette

Here is a link that might be useful: dos eckies - har har har 8)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here's a shot of my own plant... before my tortoise ate the entire thing

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I personally am not a great photographer and find photographing Echeveria flowers difficult... but a few times they sort of manage to come out in focus... here are a few attempts from my own garden.

Echeveria agavoides
    {{gwi:643286}}

Echeveria cante
    {{gwi:643287}}

Echeveria 'fasciculata'
    {{gwi:643288}}

Echeveria shaviana
    {{gwi:643289}}

Echeveria pulvinata
    {{gwi:643290}}

Echeveria elegans
    {{gwi:643291}}

Echeveria hybrid
    {{gwi:643292}}

Echeveria Black Knight
    {{gwi:643294}}

Echeveria Perle Von Nurmberg
    {{gwi:643295}}

Echeveria leuchotricha
    {{gwi:643296}}

Echeveria subrigida
    {{gwi:643297}}

• hookilau
    11 years ago

O man! Mas eckies!!! (oops. accent mark won't appear, well, you know what I mean, lol) Super cool. I love the first pic of the one that became tortie food. What kind of tortoise?...if you say sulcata, I'm gonna ask for a pic 8) ahh, who am I kiddin'? I want to see a pic anyway =D pretty please?

Those flowers are just beautiful, thanks for sharing with us!

Antoinette

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Geoff,

I should mention that last pic is wonderful - the others are, too (my E. agavoides Lipstick' never flowered in the 7 years I had it, so thanks for that one). I didn't know they came in so many colours. I don't think you have a problem photographing them, unless it's which ones to snap.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't realize there were so many beautiful echeveria flowers. I especially like the red ones. Now where's a pic of your echeveria eatin' tortoise?

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here's a shot of him eating the Crassulas... he has eaten all sorts of succulents in the yard... so I don't grow too many of them at ground level anymore

11 years ago

Is that ol' Gopherus agassizii? He's quite the charming cropper, isn't he?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

What an amazing tortoise. I think he is due a few succulents and heads of lettuce. I have some blooming echeverias that I can't quite ID. TRhere are so many that are similar . I appologize for jumping on your thread but they have pretty blooms too.

{{gwi:643298}}

{{gwi:643299}}

{{gwi:643300}}

{{gwi:643301}}

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love your tortoise. I haven't come across many people with pet tortoises around here but do know some people further south that keep them. Plenty of people around here have snakes and lizards but not tortoises. Wonder why?

Wantonamara those are beautiful. I especially, like the one in the 1st & 2nd pics.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am thinking that it might be E. blue curls.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

lookit that naughty tortie!!!!!! Well, not really, he's only doing what comes naturally to him. After all, the *are* succulents, har har 8) He looks great! Here in NY (LI) not many people keep them but I have known a few. Mostly only DVM's though, herp-folks. Thanks again for sharing, he's/she's real cute!

Antoinette

• paul_
    11 years ago

LOVE your tortise! I'm sure he fully appreciates the effort you went to to provide him with a fresh salad bar.

Only Echie I have blooming at the moment is Topsy Turvy

{{gwi:643302}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have one of those also, but it is past its prime. It has been blooming for a long time. I have a E perle van nurnburg and a E black prince getting ready for a show.

{{gwi:643303}}

11 years ago

Not a good picture of the flowering Echeveria 'Graziella'
    {{gwi:643304}}
    A little better pic of the plant
    {{gwi:643305}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I stumbled on this thread, had no idea these things made pretty flowers. How cool, and such amazing photos, in both composition and subject matter. So glad I looked!!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?