Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Need Names - Plant ID thread

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of succulents that just go without names. I clip off some and propagate, give them to friends who continue to enjoy them, and I'm realizing now I don't even what these are. "These grow well" is usually what I say...then they say, "What's it called?" and my usual answer: "A succulent. I dunno - don't ask me those questions. They grow well."

In making an album of photos I took the other day when it started raining for the first time since winter -- I became curious what each one was called.
Please help me put a name on these.

1 ---Elephant Bush of some kind? Incredibly fast grower...
{{gwi:643371}}

2 ---This one is ridiculously fast, too. I've made no less than 15 pots of these so far.
{{gwi:643373}}
{{gwi:643375}}

3 ---Have so many of these here and there...and now, after years, I am curious what this is called:
{{gwi:643378}}

4 ---I don't know what the two in the middle are:
{{gwi:643380}}
The light purplish thing is relatively new to join the group recently. I bought it at a grocery store, of all places, where it was tossed into the clearance rack. $1.50...and two months later, she's looking nice.
That light green/blue thing is fascinatingly pretty but the pot came with "succulent" on it.
I know THAT. lol

5 ---This red thing below is a Crassula of some sort, yes?
It's not my favorite plant -- the growth is rather wild and sort of flimsy...and the "flowers" it puts out are just long sticks....with I don't know what function except that it ain't pretty. Everytime one long bunch falls over (and it usually will when it gets big enough), I just cut off a piece and go stick it in somewhere else.
{{gwi:643382}}

I like this one. I had originally gotten it to plant in a succulent "bed" I made with 2" of "raised" soil filled with 5-1-1, but most of the succulents there didn't much like how wet it still remained because of the sprinklers. I pulled this one out of there but no idea what it's called.
{{gwi:643383}}

Another one from that bed:
{{gwi:643385}}

And another one from that bed -- rescued from my original plan:
{{gwi:643386}}

This bluish-green one basically filled a wide bowl by itself. While I love how it spreads, it's not that "firm" and a few leaves tend to fall off if touched. But they keep on spreading.
{{gwi:643387}}

If you recognize anything, please let me know.
Thank you!

Grace

This post was edited by Sugi_C on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 16:54

Comments (10)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grace,
    Bottom 6th. picture. Love it. Can't wait to see what it is. I think I know some but will let the more knowledgeable ones name them. I have some of the sedum showed.
    Stush

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stush,

The red one? (See, I really don't know the names lol.)
    If so, I'm happy to send you some. I have it everywhere in cuttings. Like I said, it's not my favorite plant...maybe you will do a better job of keeping the thing upright and sturdy.

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Grace,
    Lovely plants!
    You have identified your first plant, Portulacaria afra, aka Elephant Bush correctly. Second plant may be Cotyledon orbiculata v. oophylla, but don't make a tag until the experts check in...
    Your sixth plant (red one) is Peperomia graveolens, endemic to Peru and Eucador. You can make a tag for that one :-). In its native habitat it grows at high altitudes on cliffs, which may explain its sprawl. I grow it and love it.
    Your new purplish thing may be X Graptoveria 'Debbi' but wait for Teatree or Roro to verify as they grow this and recently identified it for me.
    I'm looking forward to learning the id of the last plant myself.

• mfyss
    9 years ago

Is this a Cotyledon, perhaps related to plant 2? Yale

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedmoney, thank you for the Peperomia graveolens ID. Here I thought it was a Crassula ______, for sure. :) I'm sending some cuttings to Stush and at least now we know what it is.

In looking up the Cotyledon name you gave me, I think I discovered what #2 is!

The Cotyledon orbiculata v. oophylla was very, very similar but my plant actually has each leaf fused to the leaf on the other side, and it stems/branches out vigorously where the one you showed me is much more compact and each "leaf" is individual to the stem (and pretty !). But then looking around, I found Crassula Nudicaulis var. Herrei -- which has that leaf structure.

{{gwi:643388}}

What do you think?

Thanks again!

Grace

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mfyss,

Yours actually does look like this one, including the powdery description. Check out the link below, 8th photo down. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotyledon orbiculata 'Oophylla'

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Grace,
    Has plant #2 ever bloomed for you? That would nail an id. Cotyledon blossoms look nothing like Crassula ones.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedmoney,

No, it never bloomed as far as I can recall. But my area in SF was always cold with highs of 65 on some summer days -- and sun on my balcony was rather short-lived. It still grew a lot, especially when I hung it off my balcony -- but I don't think it ever flowered.

I'll definitely update if/when it does. :)

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

1. I'm not quite convinced that it's Portulacaria afra. Was thinking perhaps Sedum tetractinum.
    2. Was going to suggest a variety of Crassula nudicaulis, but I see you've already figured it out! I agree, C. nudicaulis v. herrei.
    3. seems most like xGraptosedum...and perhaps 'California Sunset'.
    4. yes, xGraptoveria 'Debbi' & looks like a Senecio (need closer pic on that one).
    5. Yes, Peperomia graveolens.
    No numbers:
    Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg'
    Sempervivum -either calcareum or tectorum
    Echeveria 'Lola'
    Last looks like crested Echeveria elegans to me.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Rosemarie...that's amazing lol. How do you remember all that? I often get my own kids' names confused and I only have two....

Thanks so much for the IDs!!!

Regarding the first one, I have a variegated elephant bush and it's so upright. This one almost trails and while the leaf structure is similar....I wasn't sure.

The potential Senecio....here is a closer photo: