Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Sansevieria offset rotted in grit!

kwie2011
9 years ago

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe you can help me figure out what went wrong.

I started about 7 weeks ago with 4 Sansevieria trifisciata 'Bantel's Senstation' offsets all about 4" to 7" tall, and each with about 1" to 1-1/2" of rhizome.

I had the in a mix of about 70% pumice to 30% soil, but after several weeks, I found the tiny roots they'd had when I planted them were gone - maybe to rot, or maybe to drying before I planted them. There was absolutely no sign of softness in the rhizomes of any of them - so I moved them.

I planted 2 in plastic in almost pure pumice with only a tiny bit of soil.
I planted one in a 4" pot of 2 parts sifted 1/8"-1/4" pumice and 1 part equal sized grani-grit with some spider plant "pups" that were almost estsblished in the same pot.
The 4th I stuck in damp live Oregon moss in the top of a Syngonium.

The rhizome of the one in the grit with the spiders has completely rotted. These things have all been a pain in the grit or grit mixes because they constantly fall over or out of the pots. They aren't stable at all in grit. This one has fallen out probably 6-8 times. I just scrape out a hole and stick it back in. Today it fell out without its rhizome. The rhizome is squish.

The ones in the other substrates are okay, I think.

So, how'd it rot? There is no perched water or soil in that mix. It should have more than enough air circulation. The whole bottom of the pot is a lattice for draining. The water pours right through without the media retaining a measurable amount of it, but it must hold some because the spider pups are positively joyous in it. Maybe damage from always falling over somehow caused the rhizome to rot?

This was sort of an experiment to see if succulents really could be watered just as often in pure grit as I watered my tropicals in the same substrate. One plant doesn't provide enough data, but this hasn't inspired confidence.

Comments (6)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I just threw away the rest of my aloes that I repotted two weeks ago because they rotted. BUT I saw what looked like root mealy bugs. I didn't see any actual bugs. Just white moldy spots by the roots so I'm assuming that's what it is. Did you look for any bugs?

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm...thanks, Christy. The rhizome was soft and disgusting, so I tossed it quickly. I didn't look for bugs, but I wish I had. I was not familiar with root mealy bugs. I had to look them up just now. Nasty little buggers. There weren't really any roots on these, but I haven't read enough yet to know whether they'll got after the rhizome too.

That is a better explanation than anything I've come up with. Jeez, I hope if that's the problem, they haven't spread to other plants. Ack! What do you do to eliminate them?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I sent Al an email. I'm hoping he has the time to get back to me. I spray my plants periodically with neem oil so my guess is that's why I really wasn't seeing ANYTHING above the soil. Outwardly, the plant looked good, I punched a leaf and it was WAY MUSHY! Never seen anything like it! On one of the leaves you could see bubbles INSIDE through the skin. I've heard they make soil drenches for the root mealy bugs. At this point I'll do what ever in have to to make sure it doesn't spread. So I'm wondering if it's ok just to treat them for a prevenative. I thankfully had them isolated from day 1. But want to treat everything just to ease my mind. I know some people don't use chemicals and they go natural ALL THE WAY. What's your take on it? Would you use an insecticide?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I PINCHED a leaf. Lol I really hate auto correct on iPhone!!!

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I avoid chemicals around my animals, but if there isn't a good non-chemical cure, I'll use chemicals before I'll let all my plants get infected.

Where do you think yours picked up the bugs? If mine have it, it could've come from anywhere. I reuse water, pot plants together, and get plants from many sources - no attempt to isolate new plants or even examine them for bugs. Now I'm wondering if the weirdness with my spider plant might be the same thing - except I think I read the bugs only like cacti.

I sure hope you can get them cleared up. Let me know what Al has to say. Meanwhile, I need to do more research myself.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

From my understanding, mealy bugs can infect any kind of plant but they have their favorites. I too do NOT like chemicals but........same here, I will do whatever I have to, ro keep them healthy. I believe it was on the aloe from the store. Even though I washed everything off when I repotted. Maybe I missed eggs? I didn't really see anything though but the soil they came out of WAS REAL DAMP and I didn't water them at all when I got them. And unfortunately I was working God AWFUL hours last month so I didn't repot them and they sat in it for a month. The top was bone dry. I honestly couldn't believe how damp it was. But it had to be from the store cuz was made me jump up and repot was one whole pot was rotted mush when you touched it. I don't understand how they can look good on the outside but be total NASTINESS on the inside and basically have a blow out when touched. Oh I thought your spider plants were doing good. What's going on with them? When Al gets back to me I'll DEFINATLEY let you know what he says. Good luck with your babies!!