cybunnies123

lithops wrinkling....

cybunnies123
10 years ago

A sign of rot or a sign of thirst?

Comments (4)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Yes, or a couple of other things like being absorbed by new growth. A pic would sure help.

tj

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It all depends if you are over watering or under watering it. The wrinkle could be a falling in from under watering. the little guys are in a growth period now.

• cybunnies123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I am under watering. I'm so scared of rot so I haven't been watering them at all, just misting randomly. I did give them water and I think they perked up :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Their was a post not long ago where some one had a"wrinkled llithops and another person( Hansrobo) who grows lots of them said that it looked like s collapsed wrinkle due to dehydration and that the lithops were waking up and now needed more water. Ido not grow lithops but I do hear about their changing needs.
    I clipped a post from a while back. Have you tried searching the forums using the search feature?

Posted by Beachplants onJuly 27,11;

'Ok I will give a few points based on my experience. Firstly I realized they are experts at using what ever humidity is available to them and secondly I threw away the idea of try to grow them by the book in terms of dormancy, because some grow in summer rainfall, others in winter and other do not get much either way. Initially we lived in summer rainfall area and we had very low humidity, now we live in a summer and winter rainfall area with high humidity in summer. So understanding the plants and trying to read them will take you much further. For instance my lithops are now all getting new bodies and we are in mid winter.

I look at them as opportunistic growers, meaning they will grow best in periods between extremes (high summer and high winter). I rarely deep-water them and usually only in those periods in between. I do mist mine most of the time when I water and only when I see some wrinkling do I deep water and only when they will dry out quickly. For me ventilation is very important, I do not want them to sit with moisture around the bases, that's sure to cause rot. So basically it comes down to good ventilation, good drainage and learning to read the plants and if in doubt do not water. I mist mine right through the year, but when and how much depends on the conditions and what they are doing. Use what you read to help you understand the plants, but do not get bogged down by rules, you will get confused.

Hopefully this makes sense to you! This is what works for me, and I have killed my share, but nowadays I grow them from seed and rarely kill one. Always remember they are excellently adapted to use humidity/water available to them."

Here is a link that might be useful: Watering Lithops

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio