Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indianna_gw

Question for the Jade Pros

IndiAnna
10 years ago

Hello all! I am new to all of this and have spent literally hours upon hours this summer learning from this forum- thank you for all of the wonderful information and for providing a place to nurture my growing obsession!
I have done countless searches on here and on google about spider mites and did not come up with the specific information I am looking for so I hope you pros out there can help me!
First I live in Indiana on the border between zones 5a and 5b, so my plants will be transitioned indoors for the winter over the next few weeks (the temps so far have been in the 50s and mid-upper 40s at night). I ordered an improved meyer lemon tree from Four Winds Growers last Feb. to remind me of the years I lived in San Diego and thus this love affair with tropical plants began. Since then my collection has grown to a handful of jades (my favorites!)- 3 regular crassula ovatas, one crassula ovata hobbit, one very small gollum, and one undulata; as well as two portulacaria afras (elephant plant); and a euphorbia tirrucalli or pencil plant (just to mention the ones which have been kept together on my patio outside this summer). All of my succulents are in Al's gritty mix and I plan on repotting my lemon tree into the 5-1-1 mix next spring.

Earlier in the summer I started seeing some very slight signs of possible spider mites on my lemon tree and so I began researching the subject. Being in Indiana it is difficult to find certain products and having spent quite a bit of money so far ordering supplies online I bought the only neem oil spray I could find in the area- Fungicide3 (.9% neem oil and claims to be for organic gardening- specifically mentions spider mites- 3 in one fungicide, miticide, and insecticide).

Don't worry I'm getting to the jade part of this question!!

Not wanting to start off with something which seemed so drastic I began checking the lemon leaves daily and cleaning them with soapy water (I have since read Tapla's posts which negate the full usefulness of this- if you're reading this, thank you Tapla for all of your inspiring information!), which seemed to help and so I put off using the spray.

Today I noticed (to my horror) that the spider mite infestation on the lemon tree is still present and somewhat worse (I can see some tiny webs in the right light, and did a white paper test.) So I sprayed the whole tree down. My problem is that now all of my plants have been exposed and I don't know what I can do at this point to help the others as I believe the neem oil spray is too strong for succulents. Some of the plants seemed to have one or two small webs- particularly around the base of one of my elephant plants, others have no sign of the little guys but I now know better than to think that means they aren't there.
Can any of you jade enthusiasts offer some advice on how to proceed? I need to get them healthy before moving them back indoors! Also, since they were indoors earlier this week is it possible there are now mites lingering inside? I had an ivy plant, bonsai ficus phillipinensis, purple sage, and rosemary in the same area too, if anyone has any advice for those none succulents I would much appreciate it! Also, I know this is a question more suited for the citrus forum but do any of you know if the lemons (there are 5 larger, still ripening on the tree) will be safe to consume after the neem oil treatment?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this! I am very excited about my plants and so thankful for this forum and all that I have learned here so far!

Comments (8)

• norma_2006
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Neem oil is made of Chry I can't spell this oil. If is safe to use and will not harm you or orhter plants. Spider mites leave very small fine webs. At the Huntington that is the only thing we are allowed to use. You can water them down to control them with a strong spray of water. I don't even try to get rid of them if they eat mealies and other instects, then they pay their way to live. See what you can find about what they eat. I'm going to try and do so as well. The eat leaves, just looked it up, Wash off with water, especially under the leaves, I used neem oil . yes it is safe if you peel the lemons. Make sure and go to the local ma and pop nursery. Take all of your indoor plants out side, and spray them down. You don't seem to have that many. There is an advantage, perhaps birds will help you out and clean them up. The coled winter may help you out as well. I never even bother with mine on my citrus trees which are four old ones, they have a heavey crop each year. You may want to try Bayer's product insectcidal feed product, that way you can control what gets the product..You Pencil plant is poisenoue, don't get white sap on your hands wash it off with oil, and soap. Don't have where kids can touch it. It is dangerous, do it have it where pets may want to play or eat it dogs especially dumb, a cat will not eat it. I missed your message about '[Jade' plants. Where is the "Jade' question?

• IndiAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Norma, I appreciate your response and knowledge on the matter. My question about my jades is how to treat/ protect them from the spider mites which they have all been exposed to? All of these plants have been outside through the summer, I am getting ready to transition them inside and want to eradicate the mites before moving them in. My jades are my favorites (along with my lemon tree) so I am most concerned about treating them before any damage is done. To my knowledge they eat nothing other than the plants themselves.
    I have read about using rubbing alcohol, is that the best solution for jades? Diluted? And how often should that be done if that is the best way to handle it?

• IndiAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike! I was hoping you would see this! I know it is not posted in the Citrus Forum but I have read many of your posts on lemon trees and you have helped me greatly along the way! Thank you!
    I saw your post from a while back about using warm milk and water to cleanse the leaves of your trees and also about using rosemary oil mixed with neem oil etc. but as I need to move everything inside (at least for the evenings) in the next few weeks I didn't think I had the time (or in the second case, possibly money) to make those remedies happen. If this happens again though, do you still recommend the warm milk method? Does it eliminate the mites completely or just prevent them?
    Thanks again!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello...

After growing plants for years and eons of time..lol, I have finally accepted the fact that as long as I have any kind of plant in the house, there is always going to be a mite somewhere...Most of us if not all have one or two or millions and don't even realize it..

My goal is now to keep them under control and never get to the point that they distort more than 20% of the leaves to my plants by the end of winter.
    never to teh point they spin webbs, and never ever to the point that they nearly kill my plants...

Washing off your leaves with any kind of natural soapy water or diluted milk will always spiff your leaves up and help you keep mites at bay...

I am glad you have learned lot's here...

Mike

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, I've used undiluted alcohol on a Q-Tip to spot treat several kinds of succulents with no ill effect. I have never coated an entire plant with it, but I have dripped alcohol into crevices in the plants that sprays may not reach.

I've also completely coated a plant with lukewarm soapy water (Seventh Generation dish soap) with a spray bottle, then come back after a few hours and gently rinsed it (in the sink or with a hose). I tilt the plant on its side so the soap doesn't completely soak into the soil, though some must get into it. None of my jades have reacted negatively to this at all. Good luck, I hope the little critters are kept at bay!

• IndiAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike and Danielle, thank you both for your help!

Mike, you have put my mind to rest on the matter and I will stop worrying about the mites (thank you I have been so worried!), unless I see further evidence of serious infestation. My lemon tree only has a couple speckled leaves so even she suffered minimal damage. I was regularly washing the leaves this summer so that probably helped and thanks to your advice I will continue with regular washings this winter indoors.

Danielle, thanks for your advice on how to handle my jades! I am so relieved to know how to proceed if I find it is necessary; there is nothing worse than needing to but not being sure as to how, especially when the wrong remedy can do unnecessary damage. I appreciate your words of encouragement- thank you!

Anna

• Canron
    10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem Oil