Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kataclysm_gw

Large variegated jade cutting has roots :)

kataclysm
10 years ago

I bought a fairly large variegated jade cutting online in July. Potted it up in a mixture of sand, c/s soil, and perlite. The cutting had no roots when I left for vacation 8/9, but seemed to have rooted pretty well when I came back on 8/17. Today I removed the stuff in the pot that I had been using to support the cutting while it rooted, and my plant is now strong enough to support itself! I'm pretty happy, this is the biggest cutting so far that I have successfully rooted, and it was HUMID this summer!

Comments (12)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Well, congratulations!! Your plant looks great (even sideways)!! =)

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

That's a really nice looking one. All the ones I've seen for sale around here look pretty yucky.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Looks excellent!

Josh

• dianashh
    10 years ago

Great! Congrats :)

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Wow I wish I have just one jade like that. I have hundreds of the normal crasulla ovata jades

• roobeeloop
    10 years ago

I have a baby version of this. I didn't know they get this big. Looks great!

10 years ago

Roobeeloop, they grow very large, indeed!

Josh

10 years ago

Everyone needs to re-visit this Thread on Caudex's variegated Jade.
    Jade - root pruning

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow...that Large cutting rooted in 8 days in humid climate? That's pretty amazing, Congrats!!

Please share exactly what you did to the soil mix...was it completely dry? Or did you dampen the soil a little..Also was it indoors or outdoors the whole 8 days...inquiring minds want to know,lol... I'm absolutely amazed by this because I've had very little luck rooting Jades in the summer...I suspect to it being extremely humid in FL..

A week is just unreal...Great job!!

• kataclysm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it had an entire month of apparent inactivity before the roots shot out of it. Also, our humidity isn't quite Floridian. We were having temps in the 80s, humidity in the 80s-90s, and daily rain. I rooted the cutting inside (still way too humid and also cooler, at one point we got mildew on our fridge which was DISGUSTING) under a grow lamp on a 16-hr timer.

I potted the cutting up in bone-dry soil mix and only gave it a tiny bit of water once or twice, by misting the surface of the soil but not getting water on the cutting itself. I figured a cutting that big had plenty of stored water in the leaves, and I was worried about rot (especially after the fridge thing!)

Interestingly, most of the rooting took place when the plant got zero water for over a week (vacation).

During the rooting process, and for a little while after (until the root system developed enough to keep the plant hydrated), the jade seemed to pick individual leaves to draw water from. One single leaf would get wrinkly and progressively dry up, then another leaf would dry up. The plant lost about 6 leaves during rooting. It was a very weird contrast to other jades I have, whose leaves all get uniformly wrinkled if they are under watered.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

• kataclysm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also that plant of caudex1's is great! I don't know how long it will take before I get THAT brave, root pruning the plant so drastically :)

10 years ago

The first cut is always the deepest.... ;-)
    Yes, once the plant is large, and dominating the window-sill during the Winter, then it becomes easier to whack it back.

Josh