Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
postpunkgirl

Crassula 'Gollum' - Needs help... and variety questions.

postpunkgirl
12 years ago

Hi all! I'm pretty new to the cacti/succulent forum... spend most of my time in Hoyas... BUT I came across a type of jade that I had been looking for, at Lowes, marked half off. It's a massive adult plant and it was not in great shape, but I could NOT resist!

There are a few babies on the interior that have propogated from leaves, so I'm hopeful that they will survive removed from the parent even if it does not.

I think my first step should be determining how Lowes was killing it. Most of the time with Hoyas it's overwatering... but I'm thinking that because I'm in N Texas... struggling through one of the hottest, driest summers in our history (and it was outside, NOT in the greenhouse area), AND the soil was dry at a bone... That it may just be in need of water and more temperate temperatures.

I'm also confused what type of Crassula Gollum really is. The label said argentea... but online I've seen it called ovata???

Thanks for the newbie succlent help/ course of action to save this awesome bargain bin plant!

~Sara

{{gwi:645801}}

{{gwi:645802}}

{{gwi:645803}}

Comments (23)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Excellent purchase!
    It is Crassula ovata 'Gollum.' "Argentea" is an older synonym, which is still common.
    It looks as though it's a pot full of good sized trunks. I wouldn't have been able to resist, either.

Rehydrate the soil, and then change the potting mix to something nice and porous.
    It is very healthy otherwise and will come back strong.

Josh

• chuy415
    12 years ago

not too familiar with these, i too have a small one, it's growin like crazy!! but it looks to me its in need of water.... but others here are a lot more knowledgable here on these.. good luck Sara

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Very nice Gollum PPG!! Great buy at half price.

I does look very dehydrated and in dire need of a really good soaking and maybe just a little relief from the very hot afternoon TX sun. I'm sure it appreciates some morning sun...but maybe give it some shade on the hottest part of the afternoon until at least when your temperatures cools off a bit in a few weeks. My Jades this time of year in FL gets some shelter from the hottest afternoon sun and seems to appreciate it.

I definitely agree with Josh on changing the soil to a porous fast draining potting mix...Good luck!

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

PPG!
    I wish my Lowes would sell jade plants the size of your jade.Love it, and the half off price. A good drink will do wonders.
    Josh,
    How long from a leaf to were you are in the next size pot? Just wondering how long I have to wait for my leaves to grow to your size.
    Sharon

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Maybe it just wants a little sip of that Dr. Pepper?

In looking at Sara's photo, is it the little vertical lines in her plant that indicate the plant needs a drink? Or were there other factors that indicate that? Like personal knowledge of the weather conditions at her location.

Love photos. Helps a silly newbie like me learn about succulents.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

A rockin' good find! Wow, never see such big Gollums around here. May it grow healthy & well for you; gonna be a handsome one too.

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have been looking for this plant for ages, it seems. Recently I started buying plants on EBay and I had been watching a couple of tiny ones... But the price was just too high online. I went to two Lowes and THREE Home Depots today looking for Hoya curtisii and Gollum... I saw a crummy looking itty bitty Gollum at Home Depot in a small mixed succulent pot (the kind with the glued down rocks ICK!) for $15... Then found this gem marked at $9.98 from $19.99. I almost screamed when I saw it! lol

Josh great looking Gollum! I soaked mine and it already seems to be perking up! YAY! What potting medium do you use to propagate the leaves? Do you use a container for greenhouse effect? I've tried to propagate leaves from my aunts Gollum many times, to no avail!

I wonder how long I should wait to repot?

Thanks again everyone!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a miraculous find. Congratulations!

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What would a fabulous potting mix be? I have orchid bark, perlite and was thinking of picking up natural aquarium gravel and river stone. Should I add anything more??

Would y'all scoff at me if I decided to break up the 6 stalks into 2 to 3 plants? (Not including the little baby in the middle)

12 years ago

Orchid bark, perlite, and another type of grit - gravel, quartz, granite, pumice - is great.
    This is the same mix that I use to root leaves and pot larger plants, as well.
    Don't use a lid over your leaves...just keep them in bright shade, indoors,
    and they should root without a hitch.

I wouldn't scoff if you divided the trunks. I actually prefer single stem presentation.
    I would wait to re-pot until the leaves are plump and smooth again. Should only take
    another couple days at most. After re-potting, give it some shade for a few days.

Sharon, my little 'Gollum' is three years old.
    If I had used a larger container, it would have grown much, much faster.

Josh

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh! So after I repot, the shallower the container... the slower it will grow? Is it more care intensive to grow in bonsai form? Sorry for the plethora of questions... but this is my first Jade EVER, and I'm a big ball of nerves and excitement! :)

This is my aunt's Gollum that started my Jade envy! :)

{{gwi:645806}}

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Sara,

No, you can grow it lushly or sparely - the amount of care for either is insignificantly different (less water in a bonsai pot and the growth should (!) be less lush). I would say the less root room you give it the less lush it will grow, but that's actually my preferred method, too. It's all according to what you want, but surely the shallower planting method is safer for the plant if you might have a heavy watering hand.

From the San Diego Winter Show a few years ago:

{{gwi:497457}}

12 years ago

Jeff is correct! And what a precioussss 'Gollum' he posts! ;-)

Your aunt's 'Gollum' is nice, too, but starting to get lanky! Could use a trim!

Just remember, a small bonsai pot might cook the roots of your plants in the Texas sun,
    so plan accordingly. A larger container might be safer.

Large pots will encourage large, lush growth. I grow some Jades in large pots to put on size,
    and I have some in small pots to maintain their compact stature. They still require pruning.

Josh

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!!! Maybe I'll try one large and one small! And I can't even believe this... The plant gods MUST be smiling at me because I just bought 30 lbs of gravel and river rock for $5 because they were clearing out their old packaging!!!! Can't wait to post new pictures for y'all! :)

Beautiful Gollum tree, cactusmcharrish!

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Josh how old is your little Gollum you have grown from a leaf?

I have one I am growing from a leaf also that is 1 year old now so cute.

Every ones pics look great.

Mary

12 years ago

Hi, Mary, that 'Gollum' is three years old.
    It would be bigger if I'd grown it in a larger pot.

Josh

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Josh I will post a pic of my leaf grown gollum today, look for the new thread.

Mary

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think my little (BIG) Gollum has already made some real progress! What do y'all think? I'm really itching to repot. I don't know if I can wait any longer.
    Cheers
    ~Sara

{{gwi:645807}}

12 years ago

Yep, it's plumping up!
    Wait just a little longer for a few more wrinkles to smoothe out.

Josh

• Karen Nunes
    7 years ago

Mine I got in a small pot at Walmart with 2 other plants and it looks Saras did at first. Shriveled up some. Do I water it? It's in with a couple others it came with. I don't want the others to get water if they don't need it and every time I water ones like the other 2 the leaves fall off. Thanks you!

• hookilau
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would separate it from the others.

You'll get more direct answers, if you post a new thread with the above pic.

However, short answer:

*separate plants into individual pots

*pot up in smaller appropriately sized, preferably clay/terra cotta pot

*change potting medium to free-er draining mix

*give lots of lot, put outside in bright but shaded place, acclimate slowly to full sun

Good luck =)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

Jeff, that Gollum you posted from the San Diego show is inspiring ! Thank you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County