Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunny Ears....ears?

Posted by Jillybeans none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 18:20

Hello

I got a pot of Bunny Ear cactus around the begging of summer. As soon as I got it, I re-potted and cut off some lose ears for regrowing.

The re-potted cactus is doing fine. The cuttings have formed roots, but don't seem to be getting any bigger nor growing any new ears.

The original cactus has sprouted some new ears.

How long does it usually take for new cuttings to grow new ears?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunny Ears....ears?

Hi Jilly,

For those of us who don't know what Bunny Ears are, could you maybe pls. post a picture? Different types of cuttings take different amounts of time to get started. Hard to say w/out knowing what the plant is.

o

@pirate girl, Bunny ears usually refers to Opuntia microdasys, and all of its forms of colors. (Such as white, yellow, and orange)

For me these usually root and put out growth within a month or so. Much faster than some other opuntia pads im rooting and growing

o

Opuntia Microdasys AKA Bunny Ears

How long does it usually take for new cuttings to grow new ears?

" Ears" or pads should grow better next season as it is nearing dormant time.

Can handle zero temps for short periods of time and other cold winter temps, but protect from hard deep frost.

o

It could b because they usually like to do most of their pad forming in early spring through early summer, then the pads formed get bugger. It might just work on its roots till the spring.

o

Thanks Micro,

I didn't know.

o

@pirate girl, Bunny ears usually refers to Opuntia microdasys, and all of its forms of colors. (Such as white, yellow, and orange)

For me these usually root and put out growth within a month or so. Much faster than some other opuntia pads im rooting and growing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here