Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Queen of the Night, from last night

Lars
9 years ago

This plant was blooming last night, and had ten fragrant flowers. I will get more tonight. This is the third time it as bloomed this year. Photo is of my front door landing.

Lars

Comments (8)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!!

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Awesome! What is the exact name for this plant?

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

So beautiful!
    I can't wait for mine to bloom.
    Karen

• Lars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The exact name of the plant is Epiphyllum oxypetalum. It is extremely easy to grow, fairly drought tolerant, and grows prolifically once it gets started. We have to prune it so much that we end up throwing away half the plant because we have no more room. They are easy to root, and so I have rooted a lot of cuttings and given them away. The fragrance they produce is overwhelming, but the flowers only last one night, and are over by morning. Still, they put out quite a few flowers at a time and more buds will be opening tonight. I have a lot of other epiphyllum, but they do not get this large. Birds like to perch on top of this plant, and I can see the birds from my living room by looking through the window at the top of my door. The plant also requires a lot of staking.

Lars

• Lars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of flower from last night. Seven buds opened yesterday.

Lars

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

WoW, what a stunning plant that is! I thought there was a pitcher plant of some kind behind it in the first pic, but then realised the blotched, curved structures are the flower stem/unopened buds....correct?? It's stunning, I wish I could smell it from here.

Gill UK

• Lars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you can see unopened buds in the first picture. There is no other plant in that area.

Normally, I'm not crazy about white flowers, but this one is an exception for me. The fragrance is just a plus, but none of my day blooming epiphyllum have fragrance, that I can notice, although they do have brilliant iridescent colors, and the flowers last about three days each and bloom more sporadically.

Here's a photo from one of the colorful ones, from last April:

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Awesome display of flowers! Looks great in that particular ceramic.