Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Is this a Healthy Christmas Cactus?

MrBlubs
10 years ago

I managed to get a Christmas cactus from my.Neighbours who areoving for dree as well as A huge spider plant and a Dracena.
Anyway, The christmas Cactus is well.... heres a pic

Is that healthy? Arnt they suppose to be green?

Comments (12)

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

It's a Thanksgiven cactus in pic it's just been in to bright of sun than needed sun exposure. looks good over all and should green back up with some lower temps and cooler sun exposure.
    Could do well with the lighting it's in now for greening it back but think they need some cooler than inside temps for budding to begin.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving cactus do not beed cool temps to bud up...All they need is the natural shortening of days too..

So no need to worry about exposing to cooler temps...

Your TC looks like it got lots of sun and it's pretty besides..

Mike

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I too think your TC is very pretty with all those pink color on the leaves...It must have been exposed to very bright light or even some direct sun to cause it to turn that color as mentioned here by Bpots and Mike...

I had one a few years ago that had a few of those pretty leaves when I had it it outside under palm trees, it received about 3-4 hours of morning sun..but nothing like your plant (yours the whole plant is pink)!!

Hey Mike!!

Mrblubs, what zone do you live in?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had know Idea that there were differnt typea of these cactuses!
    Christmas and Thabksgiving even Easter! Weird
    Thanks for all the info!
    Does that mean the plant is still healthy though? Like being in that bright of sun wont cause it to like wither away and die will it?
    I live In Zone 3A I think... Maybe 3B but its really sunny here all year and they kept it in room that had a south facing window, aa east facing window and a west facing window so it recived full sun all day long.
    Should I make it turn back to green or does it really matter?
    Thanks for the help!

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

It doesn't matter. However, moving it to a room where it gets less sun in about a month may help trigger it to bloom (though, as Mike said, that shouldn't be necessary). It looks really healthy, enjoy!

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

I'd keep it on the redder side as it look better as it is in your pic. Plant real estate ? Keep it south if you have the space for the redder coloring.

This also favors to the keeping of your TC(in your zone) in a southern exposure window . Not 100 % certain but would think that eventually the sun exposure times could/ should trigger it to bud and flower.

I habit budding my TC and CC cacti outside exposure untill lower 50's temps to initate fatser budding then bring it in prior to flowering.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It appears it already has tiny buds forming on it on some of the tips!
    Its a relief it healthy as I thought that I got a half dead plant!
    I guess Ill find a Nice Sunny window to put it besidd.
    Thanks for all the help!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I too love the pinkish/reddish color...if you can't maintain the very sunny window spot it was in at your neighbor's house it will eventually lose those colors and turn more green...either way I think its amazing you guys are getting buds on your TC's already, we haven't had anything colder than 70 degrees since April,lol...it will be another 6 weeks or more before I see buds on mine.

I leave mine in my (roofed) but open entry way almost all year. I only bring it inside when the temps go below 32 degrees and its done great there.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well At least I thought it was budding.but if the buds fall off at the slightest touch :\
    what tempreture range can they handle?
    like I want to know if I can let it be outside for a few more day

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Could be a result of plant moving from one place to anouther Also possible is little to no watering as buds develope and hold back on any watering as flowers start to show.
    They usually dont enjoy temps in the high end of40's for your zone keep it on the safe side and aim 50's coldest.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very lovely plant!
    When the buds are small - less than a half inch, let's say - you should keep it in the same sun exposure and in the same approximate orientation. You can still move the plant to water at the sink, but just be sure you return it to the same location and facing the same direction as it was.

As for watering, you should continue watering through the entire blooming period, and only reduce watering after the bloom during the plant's recuperation period of lower activity (which typically lasts 3 - 4 weeks).

Josh

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

my holiday cactus lives permanently in western window where it gets good strong sunlight for sev hours. and it reddens just like OP's prior to bloom. nothing wrong, no need to move it anywhere.
    mine also blooms on easter, also with reddening. the way i see it: due to orientation and blocking of some sun by neighboring buildings my strongest and longest sun exposure is for 6 weeks in sep and then in march - right around equinoxes. and that's exactly when it reddens! my temps don't drop at night much until early nov - when it gets may be 7 degrees lower at nite. and then it goes into bloom by thanksgiving. but you can see the little buds by end of october, if i remember. i'll make a note this year just to be sure.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz