Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
namora_gw

jade plant concerns, turning purple, wrinkled weak leaves

Namora
12 years ago

Hello, I'm afraid after months of searching information on the internet and my best attempts to follow advice given to others, I have to resort to asking about my problems directly. This is my third attempt at growing a jade plant, and it is again looking sickly. The first two I over-watered, rookie mistake, and they rotted. But after receiving another nice potted cutting for my birthday I was determined to keep this one alive.

I let the soil dry between watering over the Summer and it seemed to do fine. The soil is dark and has something that looks like mulch in it but I didn't really ask what it's made of, the person who gave me this cutting has a very large and healthy Jade. It drains pretty quick I guess, it gets pretty dry in 1-3 days.

The problem started about a month ago, the bottom of some leaves turned dark purple and new leaves seemed weak. I did some research but found mixed answers. Then at the end of August I moved to a different apartment.

I put the plant on a window sill facing West that has a tall building right in front of mine. It didn't really change much, getting a little darker and less green {{gwi:646042}} It used to be right on the sill, but when I came back from a trip this weekend (being gone 3 days) it was almost completely purple and withered. (the weird yellow light is from my lamp). I moved it on to my table where it is in the picture.

I checked and I think the roots are fine, the stem is still stiff and the little cuttings have grown nice roots. I poked around a little and it doesn't look like it is rotting, but the leaves are really soft. I immediately gave it plenty of water, but again I'm afraid of giving it too much and risking rot.. Today it seems to be doing better and some of the leaves became plumper and greener.

I'm just worried because I couldn't find any good information on why in the world it is purple. It might be getting too much light, that would be my first guess, but perhaps it's an infection?

Also, I want to know if anyone could tell me precisely how much I should be watering it, over the Summer I tried to make it about once a week or fewer. I'm not sure how to handle the winter season though, that's when my last two died. The site here says " if the plant experiences the cool then water should be withheld, and expect leaf drop as well as some of the branches. If the plant is indoors, it still will likely shed in preparation for the main growing season- the late fall/early winter" It's cool here, so does that mean I should stop watering my sickly looking plant? It doesn't seem right. Also why is winter the main growing season? I tugged at some leaves and they're securely on the stem, so it's not really doing the dropping thing. I live in Brooklyn NYC now and it's getting pretty cold now(70-60), how cold should I let the plant get?

Another thing is that I have no idea what to do about fertilization, I never had plants before and don't really understand it >_>'' When should I give it fertilizer, it is good to give it some now? what fertilizer should I get?

here are some more photos, click the images for a bigger picture

{{gwi:646046}}

{{gwi:646050}} dry purple leaves

{{gwi:646054}} these leaves haven't grown in a while now and look damaged

{{gwi:646056}} some leaves that plumped up again

{{gwi:646059}} the little cuttings, actually the small stem one was from the last plant I over watered, and the leaf is from the original plant. I actually just noticed that leaf has two little guys at the very end starting to grow.

{{gwi:646062}} the underside of the leaves that is really purple.

not sure what's up with the white dots in the photos, they really don't show up that much in real life, and the fuzz stuff looks just like normal dust when I look at it : / The plant is really small, smaller than my hand, so the photos really blow it up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to help me out!!

Comments (22)

• Namora
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for the quick response!

It's on a West facing window sill and has bright direct light for a couple hours of the day. I read light could burn it though so I moved it on to the table.

I guess it's a small-leaf? I'm not sure. The lady I got it from has a very large plant but the leaves are the size of that one I have in the soil. The branches are brown and long and a lot of them curve down and intertwine. What worries me is that her plant is not purple at all and it's bright green and looks much cheerier I guess haha. Also my plant hasn't really been growing much, the two little leaves at the top sprouted up but stopped growing when it started turning purple and one of them wrinkled up.

Yea I've read that elsewhere, it makes sense. I'll try to restrain myself from worrying about the water

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

I am thinking along the same lines as Josh, this look like a small leaf Jade that is etoliated from lack of good light. The purple is a very nice color on the small leaf jades. Mine gets this also and I love it.
    I would venture that your Jade will do just fine now that is is taking a nice drink. It just looks dehydrated. Dont start thinking you need to give it more water though, wait till the leaves plump up, it may take a few days depending on how depleated the trunk/branch part is.

Mary

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Anyone here will agree that any jade will never get TOO much sun INDOORS. I have kept many of jades in a south window with blazing sun for just about all day. In this blazing sunny window, they NEVER aquire the purple-red color that signals good light, with the exception of the small leaf varieties, which, as Josh said, naturally get that coloring. The only way mine get the light induced purple is to be outdoors in summer. You can however give them too much sun if you plop them out in the sun with no acclimation. I also find that mine were getting TOO purple with full 16 hour sun on my deck, so I reduced it to about 10. So, with that said, don't think for a second that indoor conditions provide too much light. Do note though that after a repot, keep it out of any direct sun for a week or so.

Anyways, on to watering. I agree, but only somewhat, with the "water when the leaves get soft" thing. For beginners, such as yourself, this works great. This method will prevent you from overwatering, until you learn to care for your jade. Once you learn the ins & outs of jades, you'll beable to water BEFORE the leaves get soft. Now, in winter, if my jades shut down all growth, I will indeed wait until the leaves get soft. But, while in active growth, my experience is that I get better growth by NOT letting it go soft, but rather watering when the soil goes dry. For the record, I've kept jades for about 13 years now, and have never rotted one. This even includes when I used to use Miracle Grow, which is not ideal for jades.

So, after all that jibba-jabba, I'll say I agree that the jades in your photos appear to be suffering from lack of light, as well as lack of water.

Joe

• Namora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's probably the acclimation part that hurt it because of the moving around. How gradual do changes need to be?

I moved it back to the window, so hopefully it gets enough light. Is there a way to get it bright green again? I guess I don't mind the purple but I do like green more.

The leaves are still feeling soft and some are really flat, I hope it gets better soon :Y

Thanks for the feedback!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hi, Namora!
    Usually, two weeks is the recommendation for acclimating Jades to full sun (outdoors).
    Indoors there shouldn't be any problem, as long as the plant is sufficiently hydrated.
    Check the trunks/stems of your Jade at the soil-line (or just below) to make sure that
    the trunks haven't collapsed and begun to rot.

Rest assured, your Jade will be green for most of the year! ;-)

Josh

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Namora, when you water any plant, including Jade, be sure the water runs out of the drainage hole really well. Looks like that soil will drain nicely.
    Pat

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

ive watched one of my Jades go red in a very short time when placed in direct east sun and was convinced it was getting too much sun. Dimples occurred as well, but after moving it to a window with less direct light it's back on track. I've started many Jades for people off my large Jade but this was a first for almost loosing one. Thanks all of you for your great input, great information!

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

My large Jade stands 6' tall and has branches that are 5" in diameter, I love it, never seen one this big before. I'm going to have to make a decision what to do with it because it's so large. Cut it back? Any suggestions?

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    7 years ago

Start a new thread, include a picture, and you will receive much advice. Sounds like you have a very nice jade.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Yes please do start a new thread, you will get a far better response....and do also post some pics of this monster Jade you speak of. We can't wait, well I can't anyway!

Edit...rooftop, sorry you just said all this! Oops :-/

Gill UK

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

Thank you. I'm trying to post picture

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

There she is.

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

Need to clip down tall branch, but am a little nervous about it.

• spiritdancer2020
    7 years ago

That is the biggest jade I have ever seen in my 63 years of life.

If Miracle Gro is not good for jades, what potting mix should I use? I have a small pot overcrowded with jades and am ready to pot up to the next size pot. What should I use for potting mix???

• breathnez
    7 years ago

Separate threads would be better, but here we are. Shanesirish5, if you are nervous about the plant's health from chopping a large branch, don't be.

If you are concerned about the balance and look of the plant in the future, it's hard for me to recommend that level of pruning through pictures. If you could start a relationship in a local bonsai club, you would probably find someone willing to look at the plant in person and give recommendations. I'm guessing this specimen would rate that kind of attention and effort based on what you've said.

Spiritdancer2020, you can use the search tool here for 'gritty mixes'. You'll get a book's worth of manifold opinions, probably all of which work well for jades. At the VERY LEAST, a simple solution that keeps you from having to find a variety of ingredients (if time, money, desire are issues), buy a bag of cactus and succulent soil from a local garden center, a bag of perlite, and mix the two in equal measure. There's no indication where you live, so if getting any of these materials is difficult, tell us where you live and we can try to help. A friend of mine in Indonesia can't get what many of us would call common ingredients, but he is successful with builder's gravel and backyard soil.

ez

• aakajx
    7 years ago

Very nice jade.

just trim a little off it make cuttings plant them or sell them.

i think a trim is good for them when needed.

• shanesirish5
    7 years ago

Thank you all. It's a little nerve racking, but I'll do it. I always use Mo Mix when I transplant or move to larger pot. That mixed with normal potting soil has always done well for me. Thanks for the heads up on going to Bonzi site

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Lord Almighty!

• Chanel
    7 years ago

Hi everyone. I just discovered this brilliant page. It would be great to get some advice! I found a really neglected plant in my grannys front room and after a little research discovered it's a made plant. Im in Ireland, the room it was in is never used so it has just lived through a very cold winter and it's likely months since it's been watered. I'm trying to revive it so i watered it and put it in a sunny spot. Any advice? I have seen that people cut the branches right back and it re grows. Do you think I should do this or is it likely that the leaves will come back to life? i will put a photo up soon. Thanks :)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Please start a new thread :-) This one is over 6 yrs old! You will get more replies that way rather than tagging onto an ancient thread...as already mentioned to a previous poster....who didn't BTW!

Gill