Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Bipolar Easter cactus

CactusBoss
10 years ago

It's not really a problem it's just really weird. So I usually water my Easter cactus when the soil feels dry and the pads lose water. After about 24 hours the pads thicken up again. The strange thing is that a day or two later the pads seem to lose water again when the soil is still moist and then the next day they seem to gain water. Is there an explanation for this?? It doesn't always work EXACTLY that way but it's still a similar process. The weird thing is that it continues to put out new growth while doing this.

Comments (7)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

just be happy it doesn't have an axis II

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hi, Cactus.
    What kind of potting mix are you using?

Two things immediately spring to mind...the mix is holding excess moisture and the roots of the EC can't effectively draw that moisture up, or perhaps the mix has some hydrophobic pockets in the middle and the root-zone isn't actually becoming saturated.

These are issues common when using a heavy peat-based soil that holds a lot of moisture. If you're using a coarse mix, we'll have to dig a little deeper.

Josh

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a mix of a lot of things. Orchid bark, perlite, About 1/4 African violet soil, Some miracle grow potting soil and random amounts of Espoma Organic Potting soil all in a terra cotta pot. It takes about 6 days for a fully saturated watering to dry and about 3 days for it to become moist. I checked the roots and they look fine except theres quite a few stringy ones. The plant looks healthy otherwise and it puts out new growth every time it's watered. The soil seems to be MUCH better than it used to be cause it doesn't drop pads nowhere near as easily as it used to. So I don't think the soil will kill it but it could be better.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 20:17

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Your soil description sounds good. Is it too heavy on the soil and not enough bark and perlite? Maybe you are just letting it get too dry between waterings and some peat in the AV mix gets a bit hydrophobic.

I am relatively new to Easter Cactus. I got one this spring. It was tiny. I have it in Pine bark, leaf litter, perlite,compost, some dirt and some lava sand. It is a light fluffy fast draining, no peat mix. It gets wet immediately and I have been watering it twice a week. I have not let it dry out but it does not hold onto water. The leaves have been growing none stop, no wilting. It is outdoors in bright dappled shade. I don't think it has ever been fully saturated. It drains immediately in about 15 seconds of less.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm probably letting it get to dry before watering. To the point where the pads get soft and bend and wrinkle easily

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

This is a rainforest cactus with lots of rain flowing by it. The fast draining soil is to keep the water flowing on by. But it never wants to dry out or be too wet. I am unsure of how to change it to its winter pattern. I guess yours will be making that transition soon.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agreed, Mara. I hung mine in an east window for last winter and it bloomed like crazy, 25 buds at once. I continued normal watering. This plant blooms sporadically all year, so IMVHO/E, seasons are irrelevant. Companions with Callisia, EC has a single bud on the left at the moment. As you can see it's not a big plant. I've given a few chunks away this summer too.