Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Just another stapelia in flower....

My three (and probably the most common type?) S. variegatas are all flowering well again this year, much to my d/h's disgust! The smallest/newest one has the biggest flowers and there's still many more to come : )
Gill UK

{{gwi:633836}}

{{gwi:633834}}

Comments (16)

• notolover
    9 years ago

Love it! The center is really interesting.

I'm so glad I can enjoy everyone elses flowers, never tried to grow these

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

What a spotted marvel. Impressive flower.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Looks great, Gill. You do as well with these as your Adenium!

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

I always pronounced it "Gill", like a fish's, like Gilbert. I'm now realizing that you might be a lady and it might be "Gill", like, "Jack and Gill went up the jill.

ahhh, language.

• yooperlady
    9 years ago

Such interesting flowers, all the stapeliads. But are they all stinky?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! ðÂÂÂ

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Swimmingly nice plants, Gill.

Hanz- "Gill \gi-ll\ as a girl's name (also used as boy's name Gill), has the meaning "bright promise; youthful" and is a variant of Gilberte (Old German): feminine of Gilbert; French variant of a Norman name. Also a variant of Gillian (Latin): anglicization of Juliana."

tj

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha-ha, yes I am definitely a (.V.) so not of the male type, nor do I have gills! My full name is Gillian, and both the short and long forms are pronounced just the same as Jill/Jillian! :)

That said, today there is a right royal pong wafting from the g/h as the sun is out again. The doors had been closed overnight and when I opened up, well, it wasn't good as several more flowers were open. I have found them to be quick growers too and they have soon filled their pots. Never had a great problem with flies, the odd one has been seen around them but have never had a maggot problem, than goodness, yuk, I detest maggots. Still find them fascinating despite the whiff....I feel a garden centre plant hunting session coming on.

Gill UK

• Misselle
    9 years ago

Gill, question... I have one that is in the process of getting ready to flower. I first noticed the tiny bloom starting 3-4 weeks ago and it is now about 1cm round. How long roughly does it take from started to finish? I've been checking it everyday, and in the last week It's grown pretty quickly, just wondering how much longer I'm going to have to wait :-)

• sandy0225
    9 years ago

so cute! something else to want....

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Lucky Gill.
    I got one very large one that will not flower. I am feeding super phosphate and hopping that does the trick. Also the flower does seems to be very large. Wish I had one. but still waiting for mine to bloom to see if I do. My red one just bloomed today for me. Posting it also on another post.
    Stush

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

That last one has a nice color, Stush.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

These are so beautiful.I just don't plant/put them next to windows or doors.
    That first one is similar to mine,but the center is different.
    kathi

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, I forgot to say thanks for the replies!

Hello Howard, hope you are OK. My plants have all done well this year as we are having a good summer. Still no flowers on the adeniums, but not to worry.

Misselle, hi there. I honestly couldn't say for sure as they have many flowers all at different stages. However, if you see that one of the petals has separated from the one next to it, within the day it should be fully open, that's what I get with mine anyway. If you have the same variety as I have, the buds grow to about 1 inch across, that's before the petals begin to open. But beware the bigger the flower, the bigger the pong! Just been out in the dark armed with a ruler....at it's widest the biggest flower is 3.75inches across and the big bud on the plant to it's left is fractionally over 1inch.

Stush, to be honest, I don't follow any set feeding regime with mine and they only get some general purpose feed of whatever I grab...usually the d/h's tomato feed! Probably why his tomato crop was dismal this year lol! I didn't do much reading of what type of soil they prefer either. I just mixed some gritty ingredients in with some regular potting compost and bingo, they seem to like it so far. The bigger plants were from a friends cuttings and I rooted them in a similar mix. The small plant was from ebay and already had roots. I do like the flower on your plant, they have many different colours and patterns don't they?

Gill UK

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Noticed today that one of my stapeliads has a bud on it.Not sure what it will look like,got it from someone on here last year.
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Just checked that stapeliad,and it has more buds,smaller ones on the back side that i didn't even see the other day.Can't wait to see what blooms.Thanks Stush.I just took pictures,but havn't uploaded them yet.
    Kathi