Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cybunnies123

Baby Toes succulent help!

cybunnies123
10 years ago

Hi there,
I have a baby's toes succulent and the leaves seem to be shriveling a bit. Does that mean it needs water? or does it mean its getting too much sun? or am I watering it too much? I barely water it. But when I do, I water it until water comes though the bottom. And it gets some direct morning sunlight. I don't think its dead or has root rot. But it definitely doesn't look as shiny and healthy as when I bought it.
Any suggestions on how to get its leaves to plump up again would be nice. or how to make it shiny/healthy looking again. Sorry for no pictures.
-Sam

Comments (17)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A photo would be good, if you could post one.. Because a split from over watering can be described like a collapse from under watering. A picture is worth a thousand words, or at least a couple hundred.

• cybunnies123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know for sure it isn't a split. But sure, I'll post a picture. My phone camera quality isn't good though.,
    edit- heres a pic I just took with my good camera.
    see the wrinkling windows and sides of the leaves?

This post was edited by cybunnies123 on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 12:41

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I find that my baby toes (that are grown outside under a porch that does force it into bright shade) look a little ragged in the summer and they spruce up as fall goes on and they then push out blooms.

How often are you watering it? Are they inside? How hot is it?

They do like sun. Mine are out in the heat and I keep a lot of moisture away from them in the summer. They are in a dish garden with other stuff. So I water the other side of the pot well once a week and water very lightly where they are and sometimes miss them. The sun is starting to hit them and they are reviving nicely.

• cybunnies123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I water it pretty much like... every 1 or 2 weeks (I don't pay attention) but I let it go dry for while. I have it outside. It's pretty hot here, like 90+. It was in a spot where it got direct sun in the morning but I moved it today because I thought maybe that was the problem. But it already bloomed right before I got it. Maybe I need to water more?

• cybunnies123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm... I think I removed most of the soil when I repotted it D: if I remember correctly. But there still may be a little left around the roots. When it was in its original pot the soil was completely dry, like a brick. I didn't want to damage the roots so I didn't mess with it. I potted it but then repotted it in a shallower pot. I think during the 2nd potting I did soak the roots and then removed most of the soil and some of the roots at the bottom (they were to hard) then Iet the roots dry. Maybe I need to water more deeply so the water reaches the roots? The soil I potted it in is really high quality gritty cactus mix so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks for the advice though! It was really helpful :)

• kristy411
    10 years ago

I bought these last Friday (4-11-2014) in hopes of rescuing them. I'm not to sure there is a chance of that.........what do you think? I have another one that I will post.

• kristy411
    10 years ago

plant # 2

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Get the old soil off the roots and repot it in a gritty mix. The peat moss they use can turn into a brick if allowed to dry like one should and it can promote rot if kept wet too long. Peat moss also breaks down after a while. I think there is hope. It might be that you keep these floppy things alive till they make lots of new pups. Is that glued down rocks on the surface. If so good luck on getting that out of there. It is possible.

• PandaPhil
    9 years ago

Hi there, first time posting here, as I'm having a similar problem to the OP.

I picked up one of these plants about two weeks ago. The tiny pot was full of branches, but was also potted in what looked like peat moss, so I washed off as much as I could and repotted them (like trying to plant a handful of yarn I might add) in my normal mixture of 1/3rd each of potting soil, sand, and pumice granules. It seemed okay for awhile, but has started to slowly shrivel and die. I water lightly about once a week,and all the plants are in a SE facing window where it gets about 3-4 hours of direct sun each morning. I do live in Seattle though, so we have our fair share of overcast days. The other plants seem to be doing well enough, except this little guy.

For now, I've set it out on the back porch, which gets about eight hours of direct sun to see if that helps at all.

I'm fairly new to succulents, so any ideas would be appreciated.

• Gracie Henderson
    7 years ago

Hey I have a similar problem. I have noticed that my baby toes have started dropping leaves. Can anyone tell me why and how I can get this to stop. The brown spots are where they have dropped off. Also is there any way to save the dropped ones?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Is the plant wet? Are you watering it by pouring water on top? Is there a drainage hole in the container? Is it still in soil it was when purchased?

• Valeria Sanchez
    6 years ago

Hello I have a Baby Toes succulent too. I bought it a month ago and it was looking good until two days ago. I water it once or twice a week but yesterday I took it out of a pot because I thought I overwatered it and I wanted to dry the soil but today it looks worse. I don't know what to do to revive it

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

Too much watering . That is rot.

• Lana Volschenk Jackson
    6 years ago

Hi all. Im from South Africa and this plant is native to South Africa and Namibia but they grow in the wild more in Namibia than South Africa. Namibia is the neighbor country of South Africa. You get them in the dessert part of Namibia so do not need a lot of water. The live in sandy soil with winter rain so our winter is you summer. This can also be a problem with the plants as they are not used to getting a lot of water. I would say make sure they are planted in lose sand that has a lot of gravel for draining, they do not like wet roots. And like direct son light. Hopes this help.

• Lana Volschenk Jackson
    6 years ago

This is good potting soil.