Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenle_gw

Jade stem cutting/pruning

lenle
11 years ago

Despite my erring on the side of "too dry" versus "too wet" (and losing a number of stems), this jade hasn't yet bit the dust. I'm happy to say it's developed a nice little root system (more than what was originally there, no less) and there hasn't been any more stem loss. The leaves are still slightly soft to the touch, but I expect that to cure itself as the root system continues to develop.

My question now is: I would like to try and pretty this jade up a little. It's in an awkward shape now and I don't see that resolving itself on its own. I originally wanted to prune this down with an eye toward "filling" it in, though with the branches that I have to work with, I don't know how likely that will be. So to compensate for that, I was thinking I might be able to cut one of the side branches off and possibly root that for a "fresh" start.

I've attached a few photo's that hopefully give a good idea of what I'm working with, and welcome any and all suggestions.

Back view:

{{gwi:647694}}

Front view:

{{gwi:647696}}

Side view of lower, smaller branch:

{{gwi:647698}}

Side view of larger, upper branch:

{{gwi:647700}}

Ideally, I'm thinking of snipping the larger, upper branch. But would that leave the remainder of the jade too lopsided? Would the branch even root and produce leaves given time and patience?

TIA!

Jeni

Comments (3)