Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelthepoet

Spots on Easter Cactus

rachelthepoet
10 years ago

I bought this white flowered Easter cactus in March of this year. I was too afraid to repot it until after the blooming period/ growing period was over. So it stayed in its original store pot and soil until early August. I decided to repot and resoil it after noticing some leaf drop and white spots on leaves.

Since being repotted into a loose 5-1-1 -ish mix, it does seem like it has settled in nicely and the leaf drop has stopped. However, the white spots seem to have spread, and I'm worried about if it could infect nearby (and healthy!) Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas cacti. (I keep them all on the same coffee table). This plant does get good light during the day.

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional info. Thank you!

Comments (18)

• monet_g
    10 years ago

The spots could be fungal, Rachel. I'd wipe the plant down with peroxide or sprinkle with cinnamon. If you don't mind chemicals, I'd also consider a systemic drench.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to isolate the plant until you can get it to turn around.

Gail

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

How often are you fertilizing?

Josh

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I am trying to find a good isolation spot.

I haven't fertilized it. I'm still a "beginning houseplant gardener" with only a few years experience, and I've been too scared to fertilize any of my plants.

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Are you watering directly from the tap ?

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I usually use filtered water that has been sitting out overnight.

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Your useing a good watering method.

Not to rule out any fungus that aren't commonly seen on the plant your asking about lends me to thinkg that it has a few water marking burns.

A drop of water on the foliage turns into a small ( just as effective) magnifying galss if it's under to bright lighting or sun.

Misting them is still a good idea now and then but would suggest you water it in a less lite area and bring it back to the area, after a couple hours OR misting / watering could also be done at night.

They'll be a small dark scare for a long time but over all it'll still gow to look very nice as well.

I've no idea how to assit if it is a fungus

10 years ago

Water isn't effective at magnifying light in a droplet. The solids in the water are typically the cause of 'burns,' but even that is highly uncommon. There are only certain instances where the focus of the light can cause problems.

Rachel, if you're growing a plant in a nutrient-free mix, such as the 5-1-1, you really must fertilize regularly. Do you have a fertilizer? Just cut the dosage to 1/4 strength, and the plants will be fine.

Josh

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

EC can, does and will burn from stronger direct lite with residuale water droplets.

fertilizer will help in feeding roots and grow but wont remove the burns or scares..

10 years ago

They'll burn in too much sun, period. Nevermind the water droplets. That's a horticultural myth.

I'm looking at the plant in the picture, with the knowledge that it has been potted in low-nutrient mix similar to 5-1-1. It needs to be fertilized, regardless of anything else. Fertilizer will improve the overall vitality of the plant, leading to new growth. Old scarred phylloclades can be pruned away at any time.

Josh

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Thats correct myth didnt burn anything the water droplets did by magnfying the sun to be more brigter in it's position

If not water droplets then this same myth (as it's now being called) suports fungus growing on the orignal posted concern.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Water droplets burning a leaf / tissue = myth that keeps propagating, not unlike the common cold.

Orignal Plant Gangester

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

What I see is droplet sized scares on foliage ( two different pics from two different people)
    Pretty sure a comon cold didnt leave them on the leaves I close my eyes and imagine the world with out water.

when my eyes open I see a perodic table with big letters small numbers

Thanks for water somehow it had found us,other wise there would be no such scares at all

10 years ago

In the original post, there are not scars on the foliage...there are pale spots.

Rachel, have you begun fertilizing yet?

Josh

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

What I see are water droplet sized spots that haven't scared up as of yet.

In second responce a fertilizer that isn't seen on soil line isnt going to make them disapear either but a fert will help the EC grow.
    I think it's fair to let the original poster know that the pale spots wont go away even if a fert is used but would if they want to prune them off with some plant loss or newer existing growth.

I find it easier to let the OP know the spots will slow down in the area of vigor but the EC will eventually continue growing with the discoloring that has yet to scare.

As seen in a second pic that was posted by me the scareing is still there after a few years of growing an EC as well. I think it fair to say thanks for some really wild fetched idea of a myth that caused the scaring is why I keep my scaring on my EC foliage.

Intentions are to allow someone to have visual aide to help them understand the scaring wont effect future growing of an EC and should be concidered over some myth idea that has no valid resoning.

10 years ago

I can't quite understand your post, so I'll leave it at that.

Water droplets won't burn a plant (excepting a few particular species). Fact.

And, while it is true that paling doesn't often correct itself, there are instances where nutrient deficiencies are easily corrected with the regular addition of nutrients, which leads to the greening of even older tissue. Growing plants in bark-based mixes has a learning curve, to be sure, but once the watering and the fertilizing are consistent, the vitality of the plants drastically improves.

Josh

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Odd thing is I understand you and the pics.

the droplet sized marks or discolorations or tissue scares or pest bites or fungus or what ever anyone wants to call them aren't going to go away unless removed.

Learning curve ? .... it's as easy as watering and if misting leaves is suggested to be in a dimmer light area ( usualy at night) allowing the foliage to dry to help prevent the water droplet sized scares occuring.

I've had my EC for a number of years feeding it as needed and have found the water droplet sized discoloring to not go away as of yet and have had no re occurances of any scaring on any future growth sence I've watered the EC at night or lower light days
    It's easy to understand try to avoid any water drolpets from forming and setting to long on EC foliage for a few years.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

bye-bye

This post was edited by hanzrobo on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 16:36

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

No problem and thanks for editing the dirty laundry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting