Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe w/dead spots mid-branch

Posted by coyote2 8B (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 20:16

On two of my many aloe vera plants, in the middle of otherwise healthy thick branches there are spots that have died and thinned. What could this be, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe w/dead spots mid-branch

Do you have photos???

o

Can you post a photo of the problem?

o

I thought I attached this the first time, I don't know what went wrong, sorry!

o

Could something have fallen on it. Do you have a slug problem or big bugs. I had some katydids and they loved to hang in the rosettes and they did leave some marks , but they did not look quite like that. Could it be hail?

o

I think you've got it, thank you very much! Because...

I did see a slug on one of these two (adjacent!) plants once weeks ago. The branch it was on was unaffected, I removed it and haven't seen one since.

How do I deal with slugs? (Is my best opportunity to see/remove them, [an hour or two?] after the next watering?)

o
RE: Aloe w/dead spots

I have a slug once every 8 years so I am the wrong person to ask. My sister lives in New Zealand and she is always complaining about slugs on her aloes.

o

The beer in a saucer is one idea to catch slugs, diatomaceous earth should help - or anything sharp to top dress. Even crushed eggshell supposedly help - may not look that great tho.
There is a slug bait sold in stores, I do not use that stuff so can't comment.
Rina

o

I also read that copper 'collar' will work by giving slugs a shock, won't kill them but stops them from crawling over into the pot (has to be wide enough that they cant 'lift' themselves over).
If all fails...them by hand & drown in salted water.

o

The slug bait from stores works great. I used it when slugs and snails were eating up my senecio patch in the ground. Just sprinkle it around, and make sure you get it wet by watering or misting so the snails eat it. Then come out the next day and find the culprits dead on the spot.
It is a bit sad to see them all dead though, considering snails are very cute

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here