Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkatz1_gw

Wintering succulents: grow lights or not?

jkatz1
10 years ago

I'm sure there is a thread about this already but I cannot find it!
I recently got about 10 very small cuttings from a succulent nursery, of a wide variety of succulents. They are currently in very well-draining small pots outside, and are just starting to put out root shoots. Temps over the last few days have reached as low as 55 degrees F at night. I am new to succulents and have never wintered any. I've been reading a lot about grow lights, but my question is whether they are necessary. I don't care if my succulents look bad or go dormant over the winter, as long as they are healthy and will be long-lived.
So, are grow lights necessary or will a bright windowsill be sufficient? Is a heated house bad for them in the winter? What about a cold-frame outside? At what point should I bring them inside?

I know it is hard to generalize for such a wide variety of succulents, but just some general tips about when grow lights are appropriate or not would be helpful.

Comments (4)

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

I really cant answer your question or give any advice, but I was about to post a similar question! My goal is just to get them alive in the winter. This is my first year gardening.
    I actually bought indoor lights (advice from someone on the indoor lighting forum)
    because the sun that comes through my window in the winter is not bright long enough.

I mentioned which plants I would have under the lights in the winter and different succulents and cactus were the primary plants and I was told it is good enough but just not to expect much growth.

I know someone will be here shortly to help ya out. Good luck.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

I can only speak for myself. I live in Wisconsin, zone 5. Once the temps start to hit the upper 40's/low 50's consistently, the plants come inside. I have a tall south facing window with a built-in planter box where I put anything that I am rooting and most of my aloes. Everything else goes into the basement on wire shelves in a corner under lights.
    If you go to a big box store, you can find fluorescent light fixtures (like garage style lights) for pretty cheap. I have two 4 ft. fixtures that I picked up for about $10 each. I mounted them to the ceiling rafters and put them on a timer.
    You can use these same fixtures in any room in the house (or apartment, like I once did) by mounting plant hanger hooks to the ceiling and then using s hooks to hang the lights by the enclosed chains.
    It sounds like you may have room to crowd them in one or two window sills. That should be sufficient this year. Just be forewarned that these plants have an addictive quality about them and you will probably need to get lights if your collection grows!
    As long as hot air isn't blowing directly on the plants, or there is no air movement in the room, there shouldn't be a problem with indoor temps.
    Do you know what plants you have? You should research to see if they are winter or summer growers and that will guide you with how much watering you will be doing over the winter months.

Nancy

• paul_
    10 years ago

I, too, have conditions far different from yours. But having said that ...

Mine will be coming inside for the winter probably today -- night temps have been in the low 50s and rain this time of year is common. They will sit in a SW exposure window for the winter with no supplemental lighting (and Michigan winters are typically VERY dim). During the majority of their indoor stay, they do not receive any water. Between that and the chiller temps resulting from being right next to the window, they do not grow at all during this time. (Which I see as a plus as I then don't have issues with them becoming etiolated.)

• jkatz1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Here is a photo of my collection of cuttings. Most of them are very small and may not make it. Still unsure about whether to use grow lights or not?
    Jenny

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES