Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmikey

Beauty of Fall: Stapelia gigantea bloom

greenmikey
10 years ago

Recently I was privileged to visit Glasshouse Works. Driving up it just seemed like big house nestled in the town. Despite the sign out front my girlfriend and I walked up to the porch with reservation. With the vast amount of plants on their (cluttered) website I figured this property could not house all those plants. Immediately after getting to the doorway we were greeted by the staff. Ken briskly showed us all the areas where the plants could be found. I apologize to Ken as I didn't hear everything he had to say as I was soaking up the wonderful density of plants. I can't be sure how long we poked around trying to see every plant but there was no chance of doing that. We talked with the staff, pet the cats, and wondered when we could come back.

Upon getting home I didn't think I got enough plants but I knew I didn't have enough pots. However, I made this post to talk about one I was just pleased as punch with, Stapelia gigantea! Upon repotting I read that it didn't like being moved after it had already formed a bud. All I could do was hope. The bud continued gaining size/weight but I was afraid it was going to die off. I was wrong! Today after watering/fertilizing it started opening. WIthin a few hours I was given my first Stapelia bloom.

I took a few photos but then I couldn't stop. I like the idea that this bloom took up nearly the same mass as the plant. I linked the whole album for anyone to check out. Sorry about the repetition but I couldn't help myself.

Click for stapelia Pics.
{{gwi:651123}}

This post was edited by greenmikey on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 10:12

Comments (19)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Wow! I really love Stapelia. Yours is a beauty 2!!! Does it smell?

I love to look at them but I just can't stand flies. Has yours attracted any yet?

Thanks for posting!!!

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The smell is pretty faint but the flies do not seem to care. Once the sun warmed it up there were usually 3-4 hanging out inside. Some of the pics in the album show flies.

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems posting from this computer always makes doubles: How pleasant.

I fixed the link in the main post going to the gallery! OOOPS

This post was edited by greenmikey on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 10:13

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Why do they always look like a starfish going bunging jumping? I didn't noticed any flies or smell on mine but it was outside about 8 ft. off the ground.
    Stush

• noki
    10 years ago

Hopefully I will get a bloom or two, buts nights are getting colder, still days are hot and sunny. How much cold will hurt the flowering? Under 60 degrees? 55 degrees? 50 degrees? Should I move them inside now anyway.

This post was edited by noki on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 13:37

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Wow, I really don't know myself. Mine have been out till it's getting colder than 40 degrees but I don't know what low temps they can take. Look forward to any answers here.
    Stush

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

40 is about what they like.Maybe a little under.

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All good things come to an end. {{gwi:651125}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I feel like that some days. Just want to curl up and ......

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Mikey,

If it's been pollinated, you're going to be the daddy of a set of seed horns.

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can it self pollinate? I only had one bloom and the chances of a close neighbor having similar in bloom isn't super high. Either way, I am jazzed as anything to have even one. The plant only has 4...erm, arms.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I don't know if it can. And those are stems. It's one of those grow-along plants - as one stem or more are dying, two or more are growing onto the ground and will anchor and sustain the plant in time to come. There must be a botanical word for that growth habit, but I don't know it.

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I guess I opened my browser and it decided to post this again.

As a bonus I am going to go take a pic of the inside of the flower that has all the flies and maggots trapped inside.

update: Maggot World was closed to to thunderstorms. :(

This post was edited by greenmikey on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:51

• teisa
    10 years ago

Oh the thunderstorms saved us!! Love the blooms. NOT the MAGGOTS!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Oh, maggots. I've had my Stapelia grandiflora bloom multiple times. It's one of my best indoor succulents. Just last week was the first time I ever had maggots... Barfaroni!!! I swear I almost lost my lunch when I discovered them. The bloom coincided with a bloom on my S. gigantea on the front porch so I moved the grandiflora outside next to the gigantea, hoping the insects would do the dirty work. No luck.

Anyway, maggots... oh, I'm gonna yack.

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every once and a while I wish I had a nicer camera. Sadly, there is no chance for a macro shot. I think everyone will thank me for that though.
    {{gwi:651127}}
    Welcome to Maggot World.

There are less now after a bunch fell on my porch...oops

• CactusN00b
    10 years ago

GreenMikey,

How big is that bloom tip to tip?

Its been a great summer for Stapelia here. Mine has been blooming like crazy. All three of mine have bloomed at least once, and the one in the hanging basket is on at least its 4th set of blooms.

My first bloom was about 13" tip to tip , but it seems like all the subsequent blooms are a little smaller, at about 8"to 11". Is that typical? This is my first year with them blooming so I don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepalia Blooms over the last month or two

• greenmikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My only bloom was about 8-9 inches. Of course, I stuck my hand up to it and then measured my hand at school. It was bigger than my hand span so it was easily 9 inches. It had a curl to it so it may have been closer to 9.5"

Beautiful thing.

Edit: WOAH! Check out all those beautiful blooms! Great work.

This post was edited by greenmikey on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 23:16

• aztcqn
    10 years ago

Really cool flower. I find the mimic of meat pattern and color quite amazing. Only had one experience with stapelia.

I bought a plant at BBStore because of the nice fuzzy stems. Found it growing so well in my yard..
    I was excited when I saw these big buds and couldn't wait for them to open. Had no idea....flowers were neet, the herds of flies, were so not. It was also extremely floriferous and the clouds of flies became too much.

This healthy happy plant went to a more appreciative home.
    I will enjoy through other folk's pics.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations