Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Beauty and the 'Big Boy'

Colleen E
10 years ago

Two new adoptions. The first is a hybrid I haven't encountered elsewhere -- Gasteria 'Big Boy' -- and while I resisted purchasing the last time I saw it, I took the opportunity this time. The allure that goes with the hybrid name is too strong. The promise of big things.

{{gwi:651229}}

{{gwi:651232}}

{{gwi:651233}}

I like him. I like seeing new hybrids out there.

Could not resist a second Aloe laeta. This plant is such a gem.

{{gwi:651234}}

I picked it up to take it outside for pictures, in the few minutes of sunlight that had emerged, and didn't know someone was under it. The particular pot has a short pair of legs.

{{gwi:651235}}

{{gwi:651236}}

{{gwi:651237}}

You, too, will accomplish great things, little A. deltoideodonta v. fallax.

{{gwi:651238}}

{{gwi:651239}}

{{gwi:651240}}

Colleen

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 23:21

Comments (21)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Hey, those are good-looking plants, Colleen, but the A. laeta makes me swoon. The Gasteria's interesting - I wonder if 'Peg's Big Boy' is related? Do they look similar?

The Aeoniums are coming around, but I am afraid my pet Sedum multiceps is past tense. Sorry....

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice plants, Colleen!
    Love the textures.

Josh

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A. laeta looks as though it's one of the greats that doesn't sucker, eh? Or at least not commonly.

I've wondered if 'Peg's Big Boy' is related -- that's the gem you've got, righty, Jeff? This guy's not nearly as dark of a green as I think 'Peg's' is, from what I know, but still spotted. I think the only darn picture I've seen of what might be 'Peg's Big Boy' is your plant. (I remember, I think.)

Then, as far as the 'Big Boy' thing, there's links like this one that make me go, "What? Really?" because it doesn't resemble what I would expect.

Can I ask, did Mr. multiceps not root well to begin with? If so, I can root pieces before we can try that again. Or we can just flat-out try again later, at my insistence.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 23:47

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Oh, I can't get over that A. laeta. You have 2 now? From what I can gather, they're pretty solitary - non puppers. If you happen to get those 2 in flower at the same time, I know a guy who can turn 2 into 200:)

That Gasteria is mighty fine. I have a 'Peg's Big Boy' courtesy of Mr. McHarris and I don't think these have much in common. If anything, it could be a cross between 'Pegs' and armstrongii. I do see that.

Aeoniums are waking up! I have some maintenance to do! pbbbbbbhht! I just noticed my A. nobile looking alive today. Why does yours look like it's November already?

That variegated H. attenuata looks very healthy! I need to go find mine and put it in the sun, get some color.

great photos, Colleen!
    -ribbit

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, two. The other is a bit smaller. Knowing it probably won't pup, two are pretty much necessary. And yes, I know a guy who could do something with the seeds, and I have major hopes on that. I thought I wanted an A. striata, and I strongly do, but this plant trumps striata.

I, too, see some armstrongii in that hybrid, yeah. And that's a draw for me. Wonder how long it'll take for him to pup. The root system was something else when I went to pot him up.

Most of my A.s are looking pretty darn horrible. This particular A. a. atropurpureum has far surpassed the other Aeoniums, pretty much looking this great all summer. Most have balled-up and gone to bed, while this guy stayed unfazed in the shade during the heat. The few A. hybrid babies that came over from Jeff not too long ago, they have their November faces on as well, but no one else has their calendars messed up. They're flukes, I tell ya.

10 years ago

Collen,

No, I think it never rooted by stayed green for a year - no doubt owner mismanagement. You don't have a 'PBB' then? How have I overlooked that I don't know, but there's now a pup designated for you. Mine still hasn't flowered yet but it's a prolificish pupper.

Like I said, great looking plants. I have a A. deltoideodonta which looks kind of like A. laeta, but not quite. The pastry quality of it is what I find most appealing right now (haven't had breakfast yet).

Oh, and thanks for the show of plants formerly grown here!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It probably could use the greenhouse touch to root. And I've got that. I'll see if I can get some pieces to root in the next few months -- they are sloths about rooting; it's not your fault. I know one little piece I'd sent over had already rooted, but its roots could have croaked in transit. I'll do better next time.

I am surprised 'PBB' can be such a big guy and yet not have bloomed, and be so prone to pupping and not bloom. Wonder if that's typical. But it's okay; I like the dark shade of green.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Colleen, You really know how to put on a show, they all look great thanks for sharing.

Greg

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Greg. Thanks, and I miss seeing your plants!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I just wanted to drop in with a pic of my 'PBB'. He's been hiding in the shade too long - not etiolated but leaning. I've actually seen some thickening up on this baby since last year. I think it's time to move PBB up into a BP on the East side, a deluxe terra cotta in the sky. You can see he's also still in that overly gritty mix I've since abandoned. I need to make this guy live up to his name.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anybody can make him live up to it, it's you. Nice to see him!

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants, nice frog! :)

10 years ago

Here's the plant that Ryan's pup came from - no pups this side but there are three on the other. I've also located a previously-plucked pup that's slightly rootbound - that will be your plant, Colleen.
    {{gwi:651241}}

Also, miniature donkey love.

{{gwi:651242}}

Here's a plant Ryan sent me - it's doing so well, and now must be brought in soon.

{{gwi:651245}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant Ryan Sent You has an awesome head of hair and neat legs and knees.

How I wish the cats could have miniature donkey neighbors. Heck, me too.

'PBB' looks massive. Sweet.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hey! The Tricho is looking great! I'm so happy, I was worried when I mailed it. And it looks like I have something great to look forward to with PBB!

Guess what I'll be doing at 3:30 in the morning!... Driving south for my monthly day in heaven.

Arribaduchy

10 years ago

Here's what you will have, in less time than it took me, but I've kept it on the underpotted side of things.

Rockin' the speaker top for the winter, I expect the fourth pup (which is just a little green bump right now) to be fully formed by spring training.

{{gwi:526681}}

Oh, and your daily wildlife photo - this guy was nosing around and found a dead bird I had thrown there earlier.

{{gwi:651247}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a real beauty, Jeff. With prime real estate for winter.

We have a coyote coming around here in broad daylight -- several times now. It came to the greenhouse today while I was locked/pitifully latched inside it. I had the neighbor's cat in helping me pot up salvia, and while coyote got progressively anxious, pacing around and sniffing, I thought poor plastic greenhouse might be no more. Picked up the cat, hid it, and we survived.

• reggie
    9 years ago

Looking around the interwebs for information about G. 'Peg's Big Boy' and what did I see....A band of succulent crazies lookin' at me. ð¶

A year on, everyone (late to the party), and what has happened with your fantastic lovelies?

9 years ago

I thought 'PBB' was getting rootbound, aside from having a large number of pups ready to grow on their own.

{{gwi:651249}}

So I depotted it.

{{gwi:651251}}

Six pups, and several more too small to take off of Mama

{{gwi:651253}}

Five of the six removed pups safely in their new pot.

{{gwi:651255}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh hey, peeps posted in here...

Looks awesome, Jeff. That guy is really producing.

We just had our first frost over here last night. Sigh. Possible snow tonight.

9 years ago

It is too, Colleen, and now I am growing one for Reggie, so it has to be good.

Hard freeze here last night and the day didn't get above freezing today. Yesterday I watered the wee bairns.